PDA

View Full Version : 1st time patrol owner Central Coast

Xtreme
9th March 2014, 07:31 AM
Hey everyone,

Recently purchased a 2000 GU Auto to tow a van on our trip around Oz. Decided to go with the patrol as 1. was within my price range. 2. I like the strength of the drive line and 3. I just like the look of them :). Originally had a bit of a panic after purchasing it and THEN reading all about the motor issues but then figured its luck of the draw with 2nd hand cars anyway. Its got 240k on it but seriously looks like it just came out of the factory, not even a scratch underneath it so I am 99% certain its never left the tarmac. Also had all log book services every 5k so thought it was an ok buy.
Am in the process of getting the Dawes and EGR done, have purchased a 3 inch exhaust to put in along with boost and EGT gauges (how much do you need an oil catch can?) and will also pull out and clean the MAF sensor. Have purchased all the oils and filters to service it (11 litres in the gearbox! - I drive a suzuki so I nearly passed out) and have fitted a steel bullbar, Runva 9500lb with dyneema and 24" LED bar to some tabs I welded to the bar (wiring was fun to learn). Am in the process of getting some wires through to power a fridge in the rear and also installed a cargo barrier -bit of cutting and shutting to do to clear the child seat restraints (I have 3 child seats) which run to a CRAB bar. (Also just to let everyone know thats after a cargo barrier I got mine from Opposite Lock 4x4 in gosford for $370 - cheapest I could find by a long long way). Fitted it with 5 new 33" BFG A/T's - they are a good combination and have found them to be really quiet on the highway despite reading many posts that they are loud.

Thats about it for now we are heading off on the 13th so hopefully I finish all the engine work before then and look forward to learning more about it all here on the forum.

AB
9th March 2014, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the forum mate and congratulations on the new beast!

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

threedogs
9th March 2014, 07:52 AM
Hello mate and welcome, great intro , now we need some pics.
When you settle in PM Mudski about your catch can,
it prevents oily fumes from fouling the MAF sensor.
Another thing to check is the intercooler, if its oily
more than likely its leaking. Mosy here replace with tigged welded one.
As well as a pillar pod for your gauges, jump in anytime and enjoy

Dhuck
9th March 2014, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Gecko17
9th March 2014, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Sounds like you have it pretty much sorted out. Enjoy.

MEGOMONSTER
9th March 2014, 10:45 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Stropp
9th March 2014, 01:02 PM
Welcome along mate, you are certainly on the right track with the mods you are doing. Enjoy your time with us.

my third 256
9th March 2014, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Xtreme
10th March 2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone,

been frantically trying to get everything ready as we are heading off round oz in 2 days. Tomorrow the car is booked in for dawes valve and EGR block, I spent all day taking out the dash to run the wires and tubes for the boost and EGT Gauges to the Piller (Have a 2 gauge pillar pod being express posted should arrive tomorrow) Did not get a chance to get the 3 inch exhaust in will try see if the mech's can do it tomorrow or I will do it tomorrow night, also finished wiring up the twin Narva sockets in the boot for the fridge - 8G wiring was hard to get terminals on and crimp!).

Did not get a chance to change oil in transmission, transfer, and diffs will do that tomorrow evening also and will also clean out the MAF sensor - is there a spray that you clean that with? I was thinking of something like a circuit board spray cleaner for computer boards?

Lots of fun pulling the car apart except for the heat as I was doing it outside on the road, Lucky the service repair manual was purchased before I started!