PDA

View Full Version : At wits end with power window, tried almost everything

Maxt
8th March 2014, 12:54 PM
hoping you can help with an issue...

I have a 02 gu which has a passenger window that goes down but not up. Have replaced switch and master controller, still no go. Brother who is a sparky changed wires over on door controller to make sure it would go down...it did, reversed wires and it went up, but it's one or the other!
So we know the motor works fine.

Tried swapping other working switches in, still no go.

We have 12 volts at the switch.

Have swapped the fusible link with a another working one, and it still did not work.
Question. Are there other fusible links that could be screwed? If so where would I find these?

Could it be an earth issue? Any idea where the earth wire would be?
Any help greatly appreciated

threedogs
8th March 2014, 01:07 PM
blue/yellow and blue/black are the down wires according to my manual
blue/white and blue/red for up
I have 2 schematics I'm taking yours as the earlier version
is it possible to connect another earth just to eliminate it as a cause

Yendor
8th March 2014, 01:13 PM
So you have replaced the master switches in the drivers door. Was this switch new or second hand? and you've tried swapping the switch in the door with the faulty window with one of the rear door working switches?

No it won't be a fusible link problem.

Can't see it being an earth problem either.

Sounds like a switch contact problem.

epac252
8th March 2014, 01:21 PM
I have ther same problem with my passenger window. The switch on the driver's side will take it up, but no go on the passenger swich. I will check the contacts.

Maxt
8th March 2014, 01:27 PM
All brand new switches and master controller. Have tried working switches on door, still no good. Thanks for the ideas.

Maxt
8th March 2014, 01:34 PM
blue/yellow and blue/black are the down wires according to my manual
blue/white and blue/red for up
I have 2 schematics I'm taking yours as the earlier version
is it possible to connect another earth just to eliminate it as a cause

Thee are five wires to the passenger door unit. White wire (carrying 12 volts) blue with a red stripe, blue with black stripe, can't remember the others. Red stripe was up, black strip sent the window down. I must have a different setup.

epac252
8th March 2014, 01:37 PM
Is there a different schematic for each year? Mine is a 2000.

threedogs
8th March 2014, 02:02 PM
all my Max Ellery manual says early or late version
those colours were for front passenger window on both versions
Blue/yellow =down Blue/black =down
blue/white =up blue/red =up
front passenger switch and motor
Yendor could confirm colours

EDIT:: that white/red goes to power window relay via a circuit breaker and another 40amp relay then back to the battery

epac252
8th March 2014, 02:26 PM
all my Max Ellery manual says early or late version
those colours were for front passenger window on both versions
Blue/yellow =down Blue/black =down
blue/white =up blue/red =up
front passenger switch and motor
Yendor could confirm colours

EDIT:: that white/red goes to power window relay via a circuit breaker and another 40amp relay then back to the battery

Thanks Theedogs.

Yendor
8th March 2014, 02:46 PM
If it's only one window that's playing up and that window goes down by the switches but not up

It can't be a power supply problem, earth problem or a broken wire problem.

I would be rechecking the switches.

Here's the wiring diagram

C connects to power
F connects to earth
J&K connects to the rear window switches (master switch unit)

Maxt
8th March 2014, 03:03 PM
Cheers yendor, I have this schematic, but still trying to make sense of exactly where on the vehicle the earth is.
Given that power seems fine at 12v using multimeter, and window goes up and down when wires switched, I think we can rule out power. Just have to track down the dodgy earth or wire....so much fun! Thanks for the help. When we sus it I will make sure I share in case anyone else is having this issue.

Yendor
8th March 2014, 03:09 PM
All 3 passenger windows are earthed via the window lock switch in the drivers door master switch.

The same wires are used to make the window go up and down just the current is reversed.

As I said it's not an earth or wire problem.

Maxt
8th March 2014, 03:51 PM
We have eliminated a few things so it's off to the auto leccy I go

Yendor
9th March 2014, 03:14 AM
The window does go down when either switch is used?........... the master in the drivers door or the switch in the passengers front door.

sil3nt_dr3ams
9th March 2014, 05:11 AM
Do you have a multimeter? I'm thinking its a broken wire where it goes thru door into the body

Bloodyaussie
9th March 2014, 09:09 AM
I appreciate the advice!!!!

Cheers Rodney......

Maxt
9th March 2014, 03:08 PM
The window does go down when either switch is used?........... the master in the drivers door or the switch in the passengers front door.

The master controller and passenger switch both put the window up. If you pull the wires and swap, both put the window down....just can't do both!

Have used multi meter, 12v at both wires (up and down).
12 v at master controller switches as well.

Maxt
9th March 2014, 04:04 PM
Do you have a multimeter? I'm thinking its a broken wire where it goes thru door into the body
Passenger door 12 v at switch. 12v underneath glovebox where it comes into door, so I am imagining issue is somewhere between master controller and there

Covo71
9th March 2014, 04:17 PM
Also check the window lock switch to make sure not shorting or something simple. Good luck

the evil twin
9th March 2014, 04:42 PM
deleted in error

Robo
12th March 2014, 01:06 PM
The problem has to be in the circuit as it cant be the controller you ruled it out by swapping wires over.

Try doing a resistance reading on both the wires.
while your doing the test get someone else to pull/shake/move the harness,
and watch metre.

humm
Or again get someone to try shaking wires etc, while you simply trying to wind it up.
any upwards movement in window is a tell tale of where a wire is suspect.

good luck with it.

Maxt
12th March 2014, 08:22 PM
An answer!!!! At some stage have had something happen (stuck window?) that has put too much load on and burned out part of the master controller. even though it was a new master controller, a small copper strip in it had been split (with blackened carbon deposit evident). Rejoined With solder and it all works.....so long as it doesn't happen again.......

Yendor
12th March 2014, 08:36 PM
So it was a problem with the drivers side switch (master controller) and not a wiring problem.

Who would of thought hey.

Maxt
12th March 2014, 08:58 PM
When you replace a master controller with a brand new one from nissan you tend to think it couldn't be that! Yendor you win the prize.

Yendor
12th March 2014, 09:30 PM
With electrical problems you assume nothing, you carry out test then you analyse the results.

You asked for help, then you totally dismissed advice, purely because you didn't understand the results you were getting on the test you carried out.

The surprising thing going by some of the other posts in this thread, is how little they understand how a simple DC motor with dual switching works. Even though they post like they do.

the evil twin
13th March 2014, 02:39 AM
With electrical problems you assume nothing, you carry out test then you analyse the results.

You asked for help, then you totally dismissed advice, purely because you didn't understand the results you were getting on the test you carried out.

The surprising thing going by some of the other posts in this thread, is how little they understand how a simple DC motor with dual switching works. Even though they post like they do.

Hiya Cobber,

ROFL... your braver than me, Rodney.

I deleted my earlier post saying it couldn't possibly be wiring, earth or power out of, uuuummmm, diplomacy.

Robo
13th March 2014, 04:20 AM
Daniel Son Confucius say--
Never a given that something new cant be broken .
Even straight out of the box.
end of lesson.

electrical gremlins don't ya love em.
thank AB for site.
and all the help on tap.