PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

Gary Vansleve
6th March 2014, 02:15 PM
Have installed Redarc Isolator a couple of months ago now it is time to fab up second battery cradle and find an aux battery. Am thinkin of getting a cranker/deep cycle combo battery like a yellow or blue top optima. Am going to be running a 21 litre Engle off this Battery. I like the idea of this type of battery as it gives me a second cranker just in case. The second battery is not goin in the engine bay of the ute so heat will not be a problem.

What to you reckon on this momentus idea. Just tossin it out there. An go easy Iam a sensitive new age guy.

Your kind regards
Gary

93patrol
6th March 2014, 02:21 PM
i run twin 700cca batteries in my wagon but if i was running a fridge deep cylce would be the way to go for a second battery IMO

BigRAWesty
6th March 2014, 03:26 PM
Imo top choice. And what I aim to fit down the track..

Atm I'm running 2 cracking batteries. Get 2 days camping with no input and led and fridge running Off of it.
Cuppa will flog me for it but it's what I could afford atm and does ok..

Just a note if your running it for a second crank option, as I also do, run decent cable and make sure the charge unit can handle the amps..

I have a protector isolator, rated for 300A and 600 burst. I've run 26mm2 welding earth wire as its 1/3 the price of battery wire from auto outlets.

And for the mount I just copied what's out there. Cost $20 in material..
Easy..

the evil twin
6th March 2014, 06:03 PM
Hi Gary,

Sounds like your fitting up similar to my Ute. IMHO given battery costs etc I would run a deep cycle as your second battery.

You are much more likely to stuff a cranker using it often as a house supply (frig etc) than you are to stuff a deep cycle using it for a cranker on very rare occasions.

The exception is winch equiped vehicles. Again IMHO... If, I stress IF you use your winch a fair bit AND you parallel batteries when you winch I recommend a cranker as a second battery.

HuskyInAuz
6th March 2014, 06:16 PM
Referencing experience from sailing we always used starting batteries for starting given the construction is for high discharge (thin plates) versus slow discharge (thick plates) used in the household batteries. The household battery bank was large enough that in case the starting battery failed we could turn enough 3 way switches to cross over and start the engine, fortunately, this never happened but it was tested. As 'the evil twin' pointed out, we also had a high discharge battery up by the windlass to power it.
Trojan L16's were used for years as household batteries but Optima's where used for the starting and windlass. Given the vibration experienced with land cruising AGM (Optima) would be my choice, yellow top for starting and blue for the second household battery, I'm not expecting to use the winch very much. I fact I'll be purchasing those two batteries when we go to the big city (Melbourne) next week for the caravan show. Just my opinion.

Gary Vansleve
6th March 2014, 09:19 PM
Just to make sure were on the same page I am looking at using an auxilary battery that provides both cycling and cranking ability. The battery that comes to mind is either the D31A Yellow Top Optima or the D31m Blue Top Optima. Both provide 900CCA fo cranking and 75 Ah for cycling. The blue top comes with twin posts which would be handy.

The thinking is I have a spare cranker if the cranker in the engine bay fails. I think the cycling capacity would be a bit light on but should handle the 21 Litre Engle I want to run in the ute if I keep an eye on the state of charge.

The ute is going to be my touring vehicle towing the Topaz van. In addition to the 21 litre engle I also have a 40 litre engle in the van as well as an 80 litre waco. I am up to speed with charging capacity to hande my power needs. I figure the little Engle will come in handy when we base camp the van an shoot off somewhere for a day or two without the van. Or I piss off on my own with the swag
Cheers
Gary

megatexture
6th March 2014, 09:33 PM
I've not looked into these batteries personally but it Sounds like a marine battery, built to handle both task and if this is the case it sounds good to me. I've got a marine battery for my aux and have for 3 yrs though I got it for the occasion I may need to jump start not for winching.

Gary Vansleve
6th March 2014, 09:42 PM
Imo top choice. And what I aim to fit down the track..

Atm I'm running 2 cracking batteries. Get 2 days camping with no input and led and fridge running Off of it.
Cuppa will flog me for it but it's what I could afford atm and does ok..

Just a note if your running it for a second crank option, as I also do, run decent cable and make sure the charge unit can handle the amps..

I have a protector isolator, rated for 300A and 600 burst. I've run 26mm2 welding earth wire as its 1/3 the price of battery wire from auto outlets.

And for the mount I just copied what's out there. Cost $20 in material..
Easy..

Yeah I use welding cable for winch connections good stuff nice an flexy. Got some leftover angle steel that should be the go for the battery tray . The battery will be goin in the left hand side pod.

Gary Vansleve
6th March 2014, 09:47 PM
I've not looked into these batteries personally but it Sounds like a marine battery, built to handle both task and if this is the case it sounds good to me. I've got a marine battery for my aux and have for 3 yrs though I got it for the occasion I may need to jump start not for winching.

I have been lookin on evilbay an they seem to be well priced compared to outlets in Brissy. Just wonderin if its old stock an dunno about warranty claims if you bought online. They even offer free post. Seems to good to be true.