PDA

View Full Version : Service tools

moneypit
5th March 2014, 11:02 PM
Looking for suggestions on tool to remove the oil/fuel filters on GQ 4.2D.

Options i have used before are the strap type and the old screwdriver driven through filter:)

Neither of these look like being an option.

Hands are a little large to maneuver around.

Cheers,

Neil.

MudRunnerTD
5th March 2014, 11:29 PM
I have owned and used a few different types and these are what I use now and my search is over. Work a treat.

OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-PLIERS-RANGE (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KD-Tools-OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-PLIERS-RANGE-2-3369-/290957589868?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43be6c7d6c&_uhb=1)

Use the same pliers to remove the fuel filter. Trick with the fuel filter is to unbolt the housing from the mount. Turn it upside down so the filter is on top. Bolt it back in position and now you can simply unscrew the filter. Easy as.

If you have a GU TD42 then you need to unbolt the fuel filter housing to gain access to the oil filters anyway mate.

moneypit
6th March 2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks MR,

Just what i was looking for.

Cheers,

Neil

Dyl-SA
21st March 2014, 09:52 PM
You can buy those pliers from supercrap auto, work perfectly

P4trol
22nd March 2014, 03:06 PM
I think I've mentioned this in a few threads, but maybe I haven't, so here it is again. First thing I do, is always try and loosen the filter when the oil is warm (hopefully not too hot). Second, pinch the washing up gloves from the kitchen. Doesn't matter if they're a bit of a tight fit. Put them on and wet the palms with oil. Used oil is fine. After a minute or two, wipe every bit of oil off the gloves. Now the gloves should be fairly grippy, especially on the filter. You can then get in with both hands (and of course the filter doesn't need a 'crack' to loosen, like a frozen bolt, but steady pressure). Then you can loosen the filter by hand. Chuck the gloves in with your oily rags/used filter. She won't look there.

davo82
24th March 2014, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure how new they are but I'm about to get a 'filter claw' so I never have to worry about this again

Robo
28th March 2014, 07:10 PM
Another good tool is old fish box crate type/size box.
cut height down enough for it to slide under car to catch spills when removing filters.
don't use for sump bulk oil drain to hard to tip bulk oil out of.

I cut a thick strong plastic bucket down, replaced handle ,it still holds 11+ lts no prob.
I heated the top edge of bucket to hand form a pour spout and it works pretty well to retun used oil to old contanier with a funnel.

drain well, wipe clean with old rag/paper towel.
bucket goes inside crate and on shelf in shed between changes.
both these containers come in handy for degreasing parts.
cheers.

better idea than fish box is old 20lt plastic jerry can.
cut side out and keeping lid and spout for a pourer.