PDA

View Full Version : harmonic bolt on gu 4500 AUTO

huardlc
5th March 2014, 02:41 PM
hi all. just replaced front crankshat seal and put the pulley back on. my only problem now is to tension the bolt .the gu is an auto and cant put it in gear or anything to prevent the engine from spinning...
does anyone have a trick to make sure the bolt is tight enough ? starter motor removed i heard ?...
thanks for your help guys cheers larry

BigRAWesty
5th March 2014, 03:10 PM
Could you somehow grip the pulley and tighten the nut??

lhurley
5th March 2014, 03:28 PM
Ran into a similar issue with a mates auto gq. How did you get it off? use that to put it on. Failing that, we used a really long breaker bar and a big hammer.

huardlc
6th March 2014, 03:38 AM
to take it off, i used a 27 mil socket onto a long ratchet and let it sit on the chassis then removed the ignition input cable and gave a quick start with starrter motor.how torquy they are ! but that was in the rotation of the motor..now have to do the opposite and cant stop the motor from rotating...any idea would be welcome....

jff45
6th March 2014, 10:49 AM
On the passenger side there's a plate held on with 2 bolts that gives access to the torque convertor bolts. I welded up a piece of flat bar with a short tube on it that fixes onto a TC bolt head and blocks the engine.

huardlc
6th March 2014, 12:02 PM
hi jff thanks for that. i heard of that before ..its probably the easiest way of immobilising the engine. i planned to add some thread sealant anyway. i pushed back the pulley tapping it gently with a hammer and a piece of timber not to dammage anything and it sits properly on the shaft. when i removed the bolt at first, i was able to see that the pulley doesnt sit completely in on the shaft..there is 2 mils from the pulley to the shaft. i think thats why with a bit of torque, you basically ''bend'' the big flat washer that gives great pressure on the pulley to hold it there. no thread sealant from nissan anyway.. just work on pressure ...
the lucky bit for me is that my oil leak went in between the pulley and the shatf.. so no corrosion and quite easy to remove in the first place ....
i ll try your trick anyway.. thanks for the advice :thumbup: