View Full Version : Chipit Insolvency

Rumcajs
4th March 2014, 09:54 PM
I wonder what is going on ? ==>

http://www.chipit.com.au/

CHIP IT AUSTRALIA HAS ENTERED INTO INSOLVENCY AS OF 4TH MARCH 2014
CURRENT ORDERS WILL BE SENT WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS
CURRENT WARRANTIES WILL BE SENT WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS
WARRANTIES FOR PRODUCTS PURCHASED BETWEEN 1-9- 2013 AND 4-3-2014 CAN BE RETURNED FOR TESTING/REPAIR TO
PO BOX 2017 CLARKSON WA 6030
THE FOLLOWING MUST BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR WARRANTY RETURN...

PROOF OF PURCHASE
INFORMATION REGARDING PROBLEM
RETURN BAG

FAILURE TO INCLUDE THIS INFORMATION WILL RESULT IN THE WARRANTY 'RETURN TO SENDER'

Ben-e-boy
4th March 2014, 09:56 PM
I dont know anything about the product is it any good?

rainsey
4th March 2014, 10:01 PM
Basically the Dom 3 issues over the last 18 months has brought them to their knees.

A mixture of possibly a great product with bad management, over expectation from the customer base and too many promises and too little delivery from The vendor.

Typical Australian small business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

megatexture
4th March 2014, 10:02 PM
They are Just like a dp chip or steinbauer, if I just made a order to find they went under between payment and receiving the goods I'd be getting a refund and going elsewhere that can honour there warranty

megatexture
4th March 2014, 10:03 PM
Basically the Dom 3 issues over the last 18 months has brought them to their knees.

A mixture of possibly a great product with bad management, over expectation from the customer base and too many promises and too little delivery from The vendor.

Typical Australian small business.

Can't say I've seen them advertise anywhere either.

rainsey
4th March 2014, 10:04 PM
I dont know anything about the product is it any good?

The original Chipit products were supposedly brilliant. The latest offering was to consolidate 3 products into one.

Conceptually the new product was auwsome. Functionally it was released before it was mature. Suffered a lot of issues and the guys in Perth, being engineers, were bad marketeers.

A sad day for Aussie innovation.

rainsey
4th March 2014, 10:07 PM
They are Just like a dp chip or steinbauer, if I just made a order to find they went under between payment and receiving the goods I'd be getting a refund and going elsewhere that can honour there warranty

Well this is not quite correct. The ChipIt product was potentially superior to the DP and the Steinbaur in that it did both rail and turbo boost management.

It was / is more in line with the Unichip product. Potentially better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mudski
4th March 2014, 10:09 PM

It will be on the cards I reckon that they will be next. They've had it too good for too long IMHO. Over priced chips, no wonder Chipit folded.

happygu
4th March 2014, 10:13 PM
That is a real shame for them, as they seemed to be giving it a good go.....

Be nice for someone else to pick up the pieces and tweak a few things, to get things functioning properly....

Let's hope it happens

Mic

megatexture
4th March 2014, 10:17 PM
It will be on the cards I reckon that they will be next. They've had it too good for too long IMHO. Over priced chips, no wonder Chipit folded.

Doubt steinbauer will as they are from Austria and are more diverse then just 4x4s they also do agricultural ,trucks, motor homes ,cars etc but you never know these days lol

OldMav
4th March 2014, 10:22 PM

Nothing even close, worlds apart it like comparing a points system to a ECU, they are or were a good product basically their latest product got released way to early before the little bugs got sorted out. But I am not sure why they have gone broke could be many things and really not open to speculation as usually we are always wrong.

rainsey
4th March 2014, 10:36 PM

ChipIt I am sure did. It fold due to price. They are / were in a unique market that some, me included, were willing to spend on, of the product was any good.

They had a good product, infact a brilliant product, u fortunately it is probably a classic Dilbert example whereby the propeller heads invent a fantastic product but their interface to the market sucks.

Also cannot say they had it too good for too long. Their 1st generation product was great. Their 2nd generation product was great. What brought them undone was conceptually bringing their 2 products together into one.

Why it failed, I do not know. Bad engineering, bad personalities, bad expectations. But you cannot criticise the guys at ChipIt for trying.

I can speak from experience as I was a Dom 3 customer. I luckily fitted into the time line of returning the product. I have and a lot of two way conversation with Justin in Perth and can empathise with his position. Not saying I support how they treated their customer base as I was burnt as well but I can support the concept of what they were trying to achieve.

Bottom line if I can use a wank word is that an over expectation with an under achieving product met its match.

All I can say is it is a sad day that it has come to this.

rainsey
4th March 2014, 10:40 PM
I really have to get a key board on my iPad. My spelling and pronunciation it atrocious. Sorry for the misjointed diatribe in my previous post.

the evil twin
5th March 2014, 11:41 AM
It's OK... all is not lost... DP or Steinbauer will pick it all up, add 300% mark up to cover R&D costs and sell it as 'theirs'.
(thats sarcasm before any flaming starts)... never used Chipit stuff myself but pretty much agree with most sentiments here.

threedogs
5th March 2014, 01:01 PM
hopefully someone can pick up the loose ends and run with it.
seems too good of a technology to be lost just because of some R&D

mudski
6th March 2014, 09:24 AM
@ rainsey. I was referring to all the overpriced chip resellers who sell chips for way over 1k. Dp have been around for a long time and their price tag is even longer. Price gouging at its best imho.

Forced Offroad
6th March 2014, 02:25 PM
Not surprised with this news, happy to take your money (way over priced chip for what they are) but not pay there supplier for the chip, which would be far cheaper than what the public pay from this company...

There is also another brand chip that is heavily advertised which i wouldn't touch and have the same issues...

rainsey
6th March 2014, 02:39 PM
Not surprised with this news, happy to take your money (way over priced chip for what they are) but not pay there supplier for the chip, which would be far cheaper than what the public pay from this company...

There is also another brand chip that is heavily advertised which i wouldn't touch and have the same issues...

Any hint on the other brand ... Starts with ...?

Forced Offroad
6th March 2014, 07:16 PM
Any hint on the other brand ... Starts with ...?

This cams in 2012, so again this doesn't surprise me....
http://chipitdieselchipreview.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/chipit-vs-tunit-4/

At the time this was written, Roo were using tunit chips. AMMS (Roo Systems) put the tunit in my old 4x4 some time ago. And then Roo were able to use the tunit chip and re-brand it as there own. Roo banged on extra $400, now they are sourcing them from somewhere in Europe and you pay $1495

My custom tuned tunit chip for my Ranger cost me just over a $1000.