PDA

View Full Version : 100K KMs... Over or under?

HuskyInAuz
4th March 2014, 08:49 AM
I really like my 4.2 Patrol but I'm struggling with towing/load capacity on planning to do the 'lap'. (I am spoiled by my rig back in the old country since I have to still go back and work a couple times a year .. Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW).

Done a fair number of upgrades, as many of you have contributed too and thanks again, but the odometer is still under 100k km's, 98k actually. Since I can't seem to convince my bride to make it her daily driver (manual) I have been considering alternatives, Iveco Daily 4x4 and .. yes a USED Dodge.

My question is, how important is the 100K KM threshold on resale value ?

Winnie
4th March 2014, 08:53 AM
Not really..... these engines will do well over half a million kms if looked after properly mate. I would not hesitate to buy one that had 400,000kms. My GQ has 250,000kms and is considered low kms. Just drive the thing!!!

threedogs
4th March 2014, 09:59 AM
what problems are you encountering,
With all your mods I cant see where you would have problems towing
looks like the ideal towing set up

Winnie
4th March 2014, 10:16 AM
what problems are you encountering,
With all your mods I cant see where you would have problems towing
looks like the ideal towing set up

Because he's used to a 6.7L Cummins? lol

threedogs
4th March 2014, 10:20 AM
yep that'd clear up any towing issues lol
Ox of an engine eh

Cuppa
4th March 2014, 10:24 AM
If you are struggling with towing I wonder what you are wanting to tow & at what speed? If wanting to do the ‘lap’ the real secret to enjoying yourself is to back off the go pedal, slow down, relax & enjoy the trip. The TD42 sure isn’t the fastest motor around, but I reckon it should get you where you want to go just fine.

With regard to load capacity, that can be an issue, most seem to manage though, especially if weight can be well distributed between vehicle & whatever you are towing. My one s set up for long distance & remote area travel without towing (at the moment) & I did struggle with weight, so much so that I ended up getting a GVM upgrade. (to 3900kg) which is just do-able with two adults & sufficient resources to stay away from ‘civilisation’ for weeks at a time in relative comfort.

HuskyInAuz
4th March 2014, 02:01 PM
Because he's used to a 6.7L Cummins? lol

Exactly !!! Spot on 6.7L. :) Very spoiled part of the year with that towing, payload and economy. (anyone wants to buy a farm in Oregon, let me know I'm tired of flying). I'm not going to do a conversion LH to RH, I can buy a nice caravan for the cost of a conversion. As I said I really like the 'trol and since my early morning post I was able to tow my boat up to Nowra to a mate's to get some aluminum work done since I tore my welders down at the shop and move them home. With the intercooler it pulled that boat with ease.. very impressed.

My concern has been 'stay-ability' with the GVM and probably trying to solve problems that I'm trying to translate from cruising (sail) to land adventures. Traveling at great speeds after so much time at 6kt-10kts is not the issue, I'm hoping to slow down.

I need to do an suspension upgrade and get the new engine setup dyno'd and tuned and make a few test trips first before deciding to move the 'trol along. Any other engine suggestions before I get this dyno'd, again, throw my way. I'm looking for reliability versus power and from the information this forum's members have provided have help tremendously, thanks!!

Some photo's of the 'ox' and towing a load of fruit last Oct.