PDA

View Full Version : GQ Patrol TD 42 engine swap.

Kristofer go
4th March 2014, 06:54 AM
Hi Friends,

I have a 1991 GQ. The TD42 engine is in great shape and runs beautifully. Unfortunately the GQ body is starting to rust badly and needs serious body work soon. I was wondering if I could easily switch the motor into a more recent patrol. I may be able to find a turbo Patrol that has a bad motor and a good body and interior. Is it possible for me to just take the motor out of my GQ and replace it into a newer Patrol model? I also see where the Nissan Civilian bus uses the TD 42 motor as well. I may be able to put my old engine into a bus that has a burned out engine. What thoughts and advice do you folks out there have for me in this situation? One more question, about how much is a TD 42 motor with about 370,000 km on it worth if it is in perfect operating condition? Thank you for your help and information!

Robo
7th March 2014, 02:21 AM
Here design, and EPA rules your not allow to use an older engine in a later model vehicles.
But same if not similar engine over a time period of years,( I hear what your asking).

It may be worth checking with local Authorities what they will pass as legal.
but if ya don't have that restriction why not.
would think the civilian may have different cam settings very different job placed on engine.
as for $$, your in Honduras can't much help sorry .

Kristofer go
9th March 2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the response Robo. I am not sure about the legal restrictions but I just want to know if I could swap my TD 42 into a newer Patrol that had a turbo engine. Would the change be easy to do with a qualified mechanic and shop?

Have a great week.

Kristofer

sooty_10
9th March 2014, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the response Robo. I am not sure about the legal restrictions but I just want to know if I could swap my TD 42 into a newer Patrol that had a turbo engine. Would the change be easy to do with a qualified mechanic and shop?

Have a great week.

Kristofer

Legalities aside it is physically possible and done regularly to the zd30 gu patrols which often have blown engines ;) I did it to a rd28 GU and there is small things you need to sort but not an overly hard job to do myself. So for someone who works on engines for a living it shouldn't be too hard, money will come into it big time here though, as it would have quite a few hours involved. Do a search on here and the net plenty of threads about td42 conversions into the different gu engine models with good write ups on what needs doing.

sooty_10
9th March 2014, 09:36 AM
Also if you were going to do it I'd definitely be adding a turbo to your TD42 engine prior to dropping it in the new vehicle. :)