PDA

View Full Version : GU Manual Gearbox Temp Sender

NotTortoise
3rd March 2014, 07:44 PM
Hello,

I have just about ordered my gauges, I went with Autron.

I'm going with the 52mm triple function gauge with EGT/Boost and Amps to check the alt is still charging.

I was toying with the last minute idea of adding a temperature sender from the gearbox. I have seen on some other installs that there is a blank hole in the gearbox that you can just screw a temperature sender in.

I wanted to know if that is the case with the 99 GU 4.2T manual gearbox?

If it is as simple as screw in it might be an option.

I would just check it myself, but I won't see my car until April.

Thanks in advance,

Cam

lhurley
3rd March 2014, 09:31 PM
I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that manual boxes don't generate enough heat to require a temp gauge.

Temp gauges on gearboxes are a great idea, just for an auto. I'm willing to be corrected?

NotTortoise
3rd March 2014, 10:26 PM
That would make a lot of sense. I dredged the archives and didn't find any mention of anybody monitoring their manual gearbox.

I wouldn't bet against your impression.

Thanks for the response lhurley

Robo
22nd March 2014, 03:07 PM
What did you discover after ya installed the gauge.

On road ?.
Off Rd and giving it the beans?.

92GQ
22nd March 2014, 08:24 PM
Hey mate, I've used an infra red temperature gauge to check my manual transmission on my gq td42; after 30kms it read 55 degrees Celsius. Also my rear diff was 60; transfer was 45 and my front diff was 33 degrees with the hubs out (ambient temperature was 33 so I figure the temperature gauge is reasonably accurate)

Robo
23rd March 2014, 01:12 AM
Hey mate, I've used an infra red temperature gauge to check my manual transmission on my gq td42; after 30kms it read 55 degrees Celsius. Also my rear diff was 60; transfer was 45 and my front diff was 33 degrees with the hubs out (ambient temperature was 33 so I figure the temperature gauge is reasonably accurate)

So that's the outer case temps I take it.
safe to assume inside the case could easily be +10 C.

If you did have front locked in, may of been cooler than rear.
fronts usually hold alot of oil, possibly aids heat transfer.
obviously those temps are nothing to worry about.

wonder what low range and reduction gears do?.