PDA

View Full Version : Is a power transistor behind the coil an ignition module og tb42e? If so more ??

79raven
3rd March 2014, 01:54 AM
Alright, got this annoying problem of a poor starting habit from the tb42e. Too intermittent and inconsistent to be mechanical in my mind. Ive reset the tps, replaced the fuel filter, plugs, leads, checked continuity in almost all sensors and come up with a fail reading from the " power transistor" as called in my gregorys. It sits behind the coil on the lh guard. Im not getting continuity in that transistor, so obviously thats the fault. Coil itself is reading 1.5ohm and 12.6kohm ( should be 1 and 10 off the manual). I can replace it, but i cant find a " tb42e power transistor" anywhere. This may be an idiots question but I am of the times of carbies and this efi is still a bit double dutch to me. If that transistor is the ignition module, from what I understand is it gives current and then added current for start up? If it is faulty, will it have an adverse effect on driving performance? Im not ruling out maybe fuel pump issue but this is the first fail I have come across
cheers

Robo
3rd March 2014, 02:33 AM
I had a look at fast for you and covering 1991 onwards there is a transistor attached to the coil.
Download yourself a copy of Nissan fast from manual section and have a look see at section 220.

But the best way to use fast is to type your chassie number in and press ok,
Then the programme should be able to identify your very vehicle.

the part I found was 22020-53J10.
cheers

79raven
3rd March 2014, 02:49 AM
And the part number comes up with ignition modules, so I take it its the ignition module?

Robo
4th March 2014, 02:02 AM
Weren't you talking transistor and coil, that's what I had a look for and there was a transistor attached to the coil going by nissan fasts description.
I just double checked fast,
Y60 and looked at ignition system for TB42E,
and the description of a part attached to coil Is (transistor module unit).
It's a little hard to know for sure,what your thinking about,looking at, when I can't see what your talking or pointing too, if ya with me.

think were looking at 2 diff things, I double checked what I looked at for ya, but that's all I can do.
cheers.

Bloodyaussie
4th March 2014, 08:04 AM
I'll thank you mate for your effort!!!!

Which manual are you using??

BillsGU
4th March 2014, 09:50 AM
The power transistor you are talking about is usually an SCR and is a high impedance until it "fires". That may be why you find a lack of continuity. The only practical way I know to check it is to replace it with a known good one and see what happens. They are usually a sealed and potted unit that can't be repaired. I'm not familiar with this particular one - but most are similar.

Robo
4th March 2014, 01:27 PM
I'll thank you mate for your effort!!!!

Which manual are you using??

Its not a manual.
It is Nissan's Own Spare Parts computer programme.
called " Nissan Fast ".
covers most released here in Aus and the GQ is in there for sure.I looked at it many a-time.
It can't tell you how to fix a problem, its part numbers,description and location on vehicle only.
It's a very useful tool, EG- part wise or even just look at how something should roughly look physically with the schematics.
get it on your computer soon as ya can
it may take a little while to learn how to use it but trust me you'll be glad ya did.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1318-Nissan-FAST
cheers

Robo
5th March 2014, 12:50 PM
something that may make it start better is cleaning the air flow metre.
Number of dedicated spray solvents available at local auto shop .

The o2 sensor may need replacing also.
if these don't fix it, should at least get better response & fuel economy .
cheers

79raven
7th March 2014, 06:51 PM
Sorry guys, done the MAF sensor already. Where is the ignition module on a tb42e? The part I am talking about definitely is called a power transistor in the gregory manual and sits directly behind the coil towards the guard. It has 3 male connections inside the plug Its got PRW-289 written on the face. Heres the best pic I could get sorry
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg616/79raven/93dae4cc-1d71-4f4f-86f0-4d3643b8607c_zps1e60771f.jpg (http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/79raven/media/93dae4cc-1d71-4f4f-86f0-4d3643b8607c_zps1e60771f.jpg.html)

Robo
12th March 2014, 01:21 PM
There's the problem a bloody Useless Gregorys manual, good use for em, starting a fire.
down load yourself a Genuine Nissan manual off this site.
And or at the very minimum get a Max Ellorys.
(don't start me,those useless books I hate em).

I'd say yes by picture think your looking in right direction but modual looks obscured by a elec plug.

79raven
30th March 2014, 12:54 AM
Cheers guys. TBS is done, new plugs, leads, o2 sensor, air filter, oil, Exhaust manifold gasket, cleaned the MAF, all engine electrics checked and this is the only one thats come up a fail. Yeah, sealed unit and it would be impossible to check the sensor with the wires connected and system active. Its worth a shot on those merits, so Ill do it. New on ebay they aint too expensive I suppose with warranty so may aswell do it. Rego due in 3 weeks though, so Ill get that over with first. Had awful problems after replacing the clutch slave cylinder hose lately, friggin 3 bottles of fluid before it was bled properly.