PDA

View Full Version : First time Patroller in the Flinders

trainman
1st March 2014, 10:09 PM
G'day all, and welcome to Autumn.

I recently got myself a 97 GQ 2.8 diesel. A few issues along the way have helped me get acquainted with the workings, moreso than my newer vehicles.

Firstly, it ran hot on the drive up from Adelaide, admittedly a warm day, but boiling was not welcome. Flush, rad cap and thermostat and some new coolant seem to have helped, but I'm not convinced it's solved.

That is somewhat academic at the moment, as the harmonic balancer parted company with the crankshaft a couple of weeks ago, so it hasn't overheated since.

No photos of the vehicle at the moment, but one of the front of the crankshaft, looking for sympathy!
I'm now considering options, ranging from liquid metal "welding" a new balancer on to get by, to rebuild existing engine, to replacing with TD42 and drivetrain. Or Chev V8 :)

Much browsing of the interweb is interesting, and I've found a large number of options.

Thanks to the people who've posted in threads I've browsed so far, and I look forward to plucking more info in the future.

growler2058
1st March 2014, 10:21 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

my third 256
1st March 2014, 11:49 PM
welcome and enjoy

BigRAWesty
1st March 2014, 11:52 PM
Geeze mate nit a good start so far.
Hopefully you find the Info you need.

Jump in and enjoy

Stropp
2nd March 2014, 12:53 AM
Welcome along mate, bugger of a place to be having overheating problems up there, good luck with the repairs.

Dhuck
2nd March 2014, 01:36 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

threedogs
2nd March 2014, 07:40 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, heaps of info here for you.
jump in anytime and enjoy

AB
2nd March 2014, 07:42 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd March 2014, 08:21 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

shina
3rd March 2014, 12:08 PM
Gday mate welcome bad start for you.........I'd go for the chev nothing like a V8.......lol

Shane

rkinsey
3rd March 2014, 12:24 PM
G'day Trainman and welcome. As a fellow RD28T owner I know exactly what you are going through with an engine issue.

I too looked at the TD42 conversion, V8 conversion to an LS1 and rebuilding my existing motor. For me, each scenario has its pros and cons. The main con is price. any conversion would double the cost of rebuilding my original motor.

So I asked myself three questions: 1) Do I want to keep the patrol? and 2) How much do I want to spend? and 3) What do I want to do with the patrol?

The first is a no brainer "Yes" was the answer. Drives well adn has no rust. The second was a little more vague but I have come to a figure of $8000.00 to get it back on the road. the third is I want to go touring and take the family camping.

So I whent and spent $2000.00 on a run around vehicle that will do me for the next few years (1998 Ford Explorer) and took the patrol off the road. Second I searched for a replacement motor. Just a second hand one that I can drop into the GQ and get it back on the road leaving my original motor (which I already replaced the head on) out for me to strip and rebuild properly taking my time and learning a thing or two at the same time. That took some doing but I finally found a wreck with a good RD28T that I can swap out the motor with and sell some of the good parts off it to recoup some of my money. Cost $1500.00.

The engine rebuild is going to cost around the $3500.00 mark if I do most of the labour myself and then I need to get eth fuel pump reconditioned and injectors and the turbo done as well. (do it all properly the first time I say) I will have some money left over to do the wheel bearings, Hub bearings, CVs and maybe even get me some accessories.

But this will all take time.

If you need any help or contacts for parts just let me know. I am no mechanic but I am learning....

Cheers,

Rob

Dave_H
6th March 2014, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

trainman
6th March 2014, 07:41 PM
SWMBO is decidedly nervous given the short service life so far, but maybe I'm a little more optimistic, so my preference is to keep it, although "whatever the cost" will not wash!

I'm lucky to have another car for now, provided it doesn't have to take on roos again, so there's some time to do the work on the 'Trol, although of course I'm keen to have it back on the road and flog off the Corolla, which is nice and comfortable, but no match for towing or roos.

Off to the Engine forum I go...