PDA

View Full Version : GU 4.2TDI radiator issue

jm-2008
1st March 2014, 05:53 PM
Newbie to this site so thank you in advance for any assistance

Header tank started leaking on one side.
Mechanic removed the radiator and sent it out for disassembly, check & reseal but now leaking more than before.
It's 9YO and have had no issues to date.
What are my options, the OEM items are very expensive but if I have to will go original.
Any suggestions.
Im located East of Melbourne so if there is a source for a replacement out here would like to know.
Many thanks

JM-2008

Gravel
1st March 2014, 10:30 PM
Newbie to this site so thank you in advance for any assistance

Header tank started leaking on one side.
Mechanic removed the radiator and sent it out for disassembly, check & reseal but now leaking more than before.
It's 9YO and have had no issues to date.
What are my options, the OEM items are very expensive but if I have to will go original.
Any suggestions.
Im located East of Melbourne so if there is a source for a replacement out here would like to know.
Many thanks

JM-2008

Mate, I wouldn't muck around if the radiator is 9yo go buy a new one and you'll have another 9years trouble free if you look after it. My radiator went after 11 years and I put in the two row aluminium Adrad radiator and have had no issues.
Best of luck
Gravel

jet
3rd March 2014, 01:16 PM
Genuine radiator isnt too dear, $700 or similar? Cheapest option and performs pretty well. Most problems are blocked inside or cracking tanks when they get old
Can buy tanks alone?

My opinion is dont go an alloy custom one poor reports overall with cracking and corrosion.

MoPatrol
4th March 2014, 06:26 PM
Get alloy tanks welded up professionally to the rad. With good maintenance you shouldn't have any problems.