PDA

View Full Version : zd30 oil pressure guage setup

basil
1st March 2014, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know much about fitting an aftermarket oil pressure guage to a 09 ZD30 ? I was reading another thread about the older DI engine and they apparently have 2 oil pressure sender units. Do the Common rail 09 have 1 or 2 oil pressure sender units ? and if so which one do you rig up to the oil pressure guage?
Cheers Basil.

GeeYouCRD
3rd March 2014, 01:29 AM
Im in the process of going through this at the moment, as Ive just been rebuilding my engine after lack of oil preesure due to loose oil pump cover bolts. The DI engine has a low oil pressure switch and a high oil pressure switch, these are just off/on switches that operate a dash light I believe. The common rail engines have a low oil pressure switch, and an oil pressure sensor which sends a signal directly to the ECM, If the ECM detects oil pressure has fallen below a certain value for given conditions a signal is sent to the instrument cluster to illuminate the oil pressure warning light (red oil can). The low oil pressure switch illuminates the same warning light directly when oil pressure is near zero.
Ive bought an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and sender unit (electrical type) and will be fitting the sender in the same place as the factory sensor with the use of a T piece. This is at the rear right side of the engine above the starter motor. Not sure how easy this is to get at with the engine in the car. Easy for me with the engine out of the car. The low oil pressure switch is located just behind the oil filter.

Drew
3rd March 2014, 06:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows if the scangauge can read oil pressure ?

Fry
3rd March 2014, 01:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if the scangauge can read oil pressure ?

I have not seen anything saying it can and have not found anything on mine.

basil
3rd March 2014, 08:20 PM
I have not seen anything saying it can and have not found anything on mine.

Thank you GeeYouCRD. T-piece great idea. (i was wondering if that would upset things ...can't just disconnect the factory oil press light hey) anyway I will set one up to that sender unit near the starter motor. I gunna set up a pyro and oil press gauge in a pod I reckon. I have already got boost on my scanguage. Oil pressure gauge is always handy if you keep an eye on it. I read about your oil pump drama. Really bad luck. You repaired that one really cheap, (not including your 1-2 weeks labour to pull it all down not to mention the inconvenience too.) What brand guage are you gunna use ? I noticed everyone seems to go for the autometer or VDO so I think I will get one of them. I like the VDO guages, they seem quick and easy to glance at and know whats going on.
Thanks again.

GeeYouCRD
5th March 2014, 02:33 AM
Im using a SAAS gauge, Ive allready got Autometer boost and EGT gauges, but the Autometer oil pressure gauge only reads to 100 psi, which I think might not be enough, as the crd oil pressures are idle speed - more than 28 psi
2000 rpm - more than 57 psi
3300 rpm - more than 92 psi
The SAAS gauge reads to 140 psi.
Gauge hasnt arrived yet, but I put the motor back in yesterday, and today connected allmost everything back up. Have left the starter motor out for ease of access from below to the sender. Hopefully arrives tommorrow and ill be turning the key in the next couple of days.

basil
5th March 2014, 07:40 PM
OK thanks ,I will have to check out the pressure range of any potential gauges. Hope the rebuild goes well. Was the turbo OK after the piston damage?
Cheers basil.

Barrbeast
6th March 2014, 12:26 AM
Hi there, realise you're a CRD but I've got a oil pressure gauge installed on my '04 Trol. Just plumbed into the same point as the low oil pressure switch using a T-adaptor (rear left side of engine from the driver's point of view, just behind oil filter).

Much easier to fit with engine in situ than the point for the high oil pressure switch/oil pressure sensor. Even easier if you remove the oil filter + housing first. Readings are fine from the low pressure switch point and I believe thats also where the Nissan techs fit a pressure gauge if they need to check.

My gauge is just a TIM 100psi gauge which works fine for the rev range I work in (up to 3500 maybe 3750).

Cheers
Rob

basil
6th March 2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks Barrbeast from Scotland. Just had a look at both sender units. It could be done from either sender unit. The one near the oil filter is a bit easier to get to but then the turbo is right next to it so it will have to cop some heat there. Also when changing the oil filter you would have to be carefull not to damage anything when working there. The sender near the starter motor is only accessible from underneath, I managed to get my hand up to it from underneath the vehicle. Then I would have to thread the wires down to it from above,,,somehow. Either spot should work OK, because I am only adding a T-piece into the oil gallery. I think I will try the one near the starter motor, harder to setup, but at least I won't break it when doing an oil filter change.
Cheers Basil

GeeYouCRD
7th March 2014, 01:19 AM
My gauge and sender unit arrived today, installed it but wasn't easy, installing the T piece and senders was no prob, but putting the starter motor back in was a pain because the factory sender unit now sticks further out and over the top of the top starter motor fixing bolt. Could only get to this bolt from underneath with a lot of difficulty, also there is a small bracket under this bolt that supports a wiring harness. i had to cut the corner out of it to clear the sender. But got there eventually. By the way this is the place the factory manual says to measure oil pressure. Fired the engine up and was reading 40 psi at idle.

BigRAWesty
6th June 2016, 10:09 PM
My gauge and sender unit arrived today, installed it but wasn't easy, installing the T piece and senders was no prob, but putting the starter motor back in was a pain because the factory sender unit now sticks further out and over the top of the top starter motor fixing bolt. Could only get to this bolt from underneath with a lot of difficulty, also there is a small bracket under this bolt that supports a wiring harness. i had to cut the corner out of it to clear the sender. But got there eventually. By the way this is the place the factory manual says to measure oil pressure. Fired the engine up and was reading 40 psi at idle.

Hi mate. I'm sure you may have read I'm going to attemp the same thing soon..
Would you go the same position or throw it next to the oil Filter if done again??
I'm guessing 2 years on I may be pushing it for pics ey lol..

Battleready76
6th June 2016, 10:34 PM
I got a specially programmed scangauge from America ( free ) with auto temp, oil temp ,radiator temp, fuel pump pressure fuel rail pressure
The only ones that work are tranny temp but have doubts over its accuracy and think it's in Fahrenheit the radiator temp measures 10'deg lower then engine temp so I'd say it's right fuel pump pressure seems to OK as its reading pressure but what's normal ? No idea... fuel rail pressure works great ... oil temp just says -50 the programmer told me it recognises the sender but cant measure it so it gives the lowest reading -50 there was whole bunch of others that didn't work but the I've got a few I dare say no one has I'm not sure if I can get numbers out of scangauge to give them to you all I guess I'd have to try ?

BigRAWesty
7th June 2016, 07:36 AM
I got a specially programmed scangauge from America ( free ) with auto temp, oil temp ,radiator temp, fuel pump pressure fuel rail pressure
The only ones that work are tranny temp but have doubts over its accuracy and think it's in Fahrenheit the radiator temp measures 10'deg lower then engine temp so I'd say it's right fuel pump pressure seems to OK as its reading pressure but what's normal ? No idea... fuel rail pressure works great ... oil temp just says -50 the programmer told me it recognises the sender but cant measure it so it gives the lowest reading -50 there was whole bunch of others that didn't work but the I've got a few I dare say no one has I'm not sure if I can get numbers out of scangauge to give them to you all I guess I'd have to try ?
Been told the zd30 only used simple on of switching for oil pressure.
So aftermarket is the only option.

Rumcajs
16th June 2016, 10:32 PM
Been told the zd30 only used simple on of switching for oil pressure.
So aftermarket is the only option.

Early Di motors did have that. On CrD version ECM does actually reads oil pressure from RHS unit (above starter motor) where the LHS unit (behind oil filter) is just for the warning light on the display....

If ECM reads/process the oil pressure it should in theory also supply that information via OBD2 interface however I can't confirm that and it is possible that the monitoring is just a "primitive" function checked and not the actual pressure processing. If anyone has an access to proper diagnostic scanner perhaps thay could see if such info is available.

From Nissan Australia learning academy:

Oil Pressure is monitored via the ECM with the utilisation
of an Oil Pressure Sensor which is located at the RH
rear of the engine.
In addition to the Oil Pressure Sensor there is an Oil
Pressure Switch located at the LH front of the engine,
above the oil filter. This switch will ground & illuminate
the ‘red oil can’ warning light when there is close to 0 Oil
Pressure.
The above mentioned Oil Pressure SENSOR is
connected directly to the ECM. If the ECM measures
specific pressures at certain engine speeds &
temperatures, the ECM will signal the Instrument Cluster
to illuminate the RED OIL CAN warning light on the
Instrument Cluster.
....ZD30 CRD Engine Oil Pressure Specifications.
Engine Oil Pressure measurements are to be taken from the RH Rear of the engine after the removal of the
Oil Pressure SENSOR. DO NOT confuse the Oil Pressure SENSOR with the Oil Pressure Switch located
on the LHF of the engine next to the Oil Filter.

Oil sender RHS) is the industry standard 3 wire resistor unit with positive coefficient or higher the pressure higher the output voltage in linear fashion.

Regards

BigRAWesty
17th June 2016, 07:45 AM
Early Di motors did have that. On CrD version ECM does actually reads oil pressure from RHS unit (above starter motor) where the LHS unit (behind oil filter) is just for the warning light on the display....

If ECM reads/process the oil pressure it should in theory also supply that information via OBD2 interface however I can't confirm that and it is possible that the monitoring is just a "primitive" function checked and not the actual pressure processing. If anyone has an access to proper diagnostic scanner perhaps thay could see if such info is available.

From Nissan Australia learning academy:

Oil sender RHS) is the industry standard 3 wire resistor unit with positive coefficient or higher the pressure higher the output voltage in linear fashion.

Regards
Yendor (I think) was the one who noted crd's only use switches aswell..
But anyway I had to add a sender to suit the gauge..
I could not find any info re pragraming the scangauge and the company hadn't gotten back to me after a month or so..

I also could not see a sender above the starter motor.. 08 crd. Is there one?
I'll admit I didn't remove the starter..
But from pics I've seen it looked pretty viable from under the car..

threedogs
17th June 2016, 12:05 PM
I think the oil light coming on is a common fault with the Di ZD30.
Happened on mine a few times, just pull over shut it down and
restart and the light goes off. Hasn't happened for a while now.
After market TEE piece would work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Adapter-1-4-NPT-Brass-SAAS-T-Piece-Sensor-Sender-Temp-/401089191105?hash=item5d62c75cc1:g:~iIAAOSwh-1W6LXs