PDA

View Full Version : Drawers for GU

apalsson
28th February 2014, 11:55 AM
Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-GU-PATROL-1998-2014-REAR-STORAGE-DRAWER-SYSTEM-CARGO-DRAWERS-4X4-4WD-/191084196403?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7d817233

I'm tossing up whether to buy a ready made set or make my own but the prices of most of the ready-made sets are enough to make you think twice

Here is a set I made some years ago for my old Patrol. I don't necessarily have the time or inclination to do all of that again though:

threedogs
28th February 2014, 12:04 PM
IMO if you make it yourself you can tailor it to suit your needs , off the self is off the self.
I'm sure you could build a better set of drawers now after your first set, which look spot on BTW.
I'm not a fan of drawers as its 80 odd kilo of dead weight, but if you want drawers that's
the price you pay. $900 plus freight is a lot for drawers Imo, $$ could be spent better else where

apalsson
28th February 2014, 12:54 PM
My old set was pretty good.
Because I do (well, did and plan on doing it again) a lot of outback travel, drawers are handy for the load of parts, tools, recovery gear and other things that otherwise rattle around in the back of the car.
On the flipside, they permanently eat into space in the back of the car. My other hobby is flying large scale model aircraft and I often need every bit of space in the back to transport my planes

Gecko17
28th February 2014, 01:13 PM
I like the fact that the ebay set are low profile and that the lids slide out as well but as 3D said, your set that you built look just as good. IMO, for the money, I'd be making my own. If money is no object but time is, then the ebay set looks ok to me too.

threedogs
28th February 2014, 01:51 PM
just think you could build a more user friendly set of drawers, Even if you sit the fridge down low a drawer beside.
Cage in the fridge so you now have storage above as well as beside it. A top shelf will give you about 200mm of space for
loose stuff, just throwing ideas out there for you, you already have the skills required

apalsson
28th February 2014, 02:23 PM
I think you guys may well be right. Hettich sell some solid drawer slides, rated for 100kg. I used those last time.
Making decent drawers is time consuming though and unfortunately, the plywood ones tend to end up reasonably heavy. I can't say I remember the weight of my old set but then again, commercial drawers can weigh as much as 80Kg

threedogs
28th February 2014, 02:34 PM
could you use 20mm rhs for a fame and skin it with colourbond then carpet
slide out fridge section

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 02:42 PM
My draws are 40kg complete..
And are big. Would I build again over buying. Fark yea...

My build
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=361394

I see where your coming from. I sold my gear a few years back.
Had a 30% edge 540 with a 55 dle
I wouldnt fit anything more than a 40 size now. But good excuse for a custom trailer lol.

apalsson
28th February 2014, 02:49 PM
My draws are 40kg complete..
And are big. Would I build again over buying. Fark yea...

My build
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=361394

I see where your coming from. I sold my gear a few years back.
Had a 30% edge 540 with a 55 dle
I wouldnt fit anything more than a 40 size now. But good excuse for a custom trailer lol.

These are pretty good, I must say. You guys are making me start looking for my tools and my inner carpenter :)
Most my planes are in the 30% - 33% size except one that has a 120cc petrol twin cyl. I have that up for sale because since I sold my trailer, I have a major issue transporting the thing.

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 02:52 PM
Haha. I see your issue. You have kids??

apalsson
28th February 2014, 03:05 PM
Haha. I see your issue. You have kids??

Mine are grown up and have their own kids by now.
I'm the one with the toys though, not the little ones ;)

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 03:08 PM
Can ya build a false self over the laid down middle row, make the draws slightly lower to allow roof clearance of the planes.

apalsson
28th February 2014, 03:11 PM
That was the plan pretty much

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 03:38 PM
So get a half barrier and remove when not needed.
False Floor is quite easy, just tie it down

Avo
28th February 2014, 03:41 PM
bloody plankers,one day you'll get to heli's and never look at a plane again...I was scouring through ebay the other day I think it was and came across the plans for a set of draws..10 bucks I think it was

apalsson
28th February 2014, 03:51 PM
bloody plankers,one day you'll get to heli's and never look at a plane again...I was scouring through ebay the other day I think it was and came across the plans for a set of draws..10 bucks I think it was

Bloody upside down lawn mowers that only go in circles blowing smoke, driving everyone around them nuts ! :)

Mate the plans are not so much the issue. You basically have a box with a divider in the middle and then some filler pieces to fill into the contour of the car sides

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 04:03 PM
Plans for a draw system??
It's a few sheets of ply glued and screwed together. Lol

apalsson
28th February 2014, 04:16 PM
Plans for a draw system??
It's a few sheets of ply glued and screwed together. Lol

Oi!!!!! ... Don't forget the carpets

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 04:22 PM
Yea a hint. Carpet the top self after fitting, but remove and then refit. This way your screws are easily found.
A mistake father in-law made on his first system

threedogs
28th February 2014, 04:22 PM
cheap drawer bearings save on expensive rollers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261371239850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 04:26 PM
cheap drawer bearings save on expensive rollers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261371239850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Uhmw (tough nylon) imo is the way to go. Cheap, light weight, and ya gain so much more usable space over roller bearings..

But each to their own

apalsson
28th February 2014, 04:34 PM
That is an excellent find!
I can then use either profile or a c-channel on the other side