PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 td turbo problem!

trolling
27th February 2014, 09:42 PM
Hey guys,

this morning when driving to work i heard a sort of pop noise and from then on everytime my turbo starts to spool and get to about 7psi it will make a sort of grinding noise, or farked bearing noise. and the psi will drop, sometimes it dosent do it. New turbo time?

if so what are peoples thoughts on an aftermarket one? bit more hp. its intercooled and has the 3inch exhaust already and dump.

cheers Jason.

happygu
27th February 2014, 10:03 PM
Sounds like the bearings are cactus ...... there are heaps of different replacements ..... I will let the guys with more recent experience comment on what they think is best

Mic

trolling
27th February 2014, 11:10 PM
yeah thought so, cheers

now gotta decide on a turbo

Gravel
1st March 2014, 11:37 PM
Mate for the money go the Garrett 2860 for the 4.2TD will boost at 1700revs. I have the 4.2TD with Garrett turbo, fluid to air front mount inter cooler, engine oil cooler, 3" Beaudesert exhaust with rebuilt injection pump producing 120rwkw at 14psi.

Good luck
Gravel

trolling
2nd March 2014, 01:58 AM
Mate for the money go the Garrett 2860 for the 4.2TD will boost at 1700revs. I have the 4.2TD with Garrett turbo, fluid to air front mount inter cooler, engine oil cooler, 3" Beaudesert exhaust with rebuilt injection pump producing 120rwkw at 14psi.

Good luck
Gravel

How much are they worth? And is there much in it to change over with the stock turbo or straight swap?