PDA

View Full Version : Please measure your GQ TD42 dipstick

flashman1207
26th February 2014, 11:58 PM
OK, as posted before, the end of my dipstick fell off. Now I was going to buy a new dipstick but Mr Nissan says there are 3 different ones for a GQ TD42. The one for mine (1994) is no longer available from Nissan. In fact this one is from Oct 1991 - Aug 1995. The one for pre OCt 1991 AND the one for post Aug 1995 are still available. I actually cant believe they are different but they do have different part numbers. The dipstick tube however is the same part number for all of them so go figure.

So if you have any of these models could you please help me out by measuring the length of your dipstick. Not the handle bit just the metal that goes in the tube. Could you give me the total length, and just the length of the bit on the end where you measure your oil. Oh and tell me what month/year your engine is

If they all come out the same length then I will just order the pre 91 version UNLESS someone has a dipstick they can sell me and post to Perth 6000 at a reasonable price...

Thank you very much
Tony

Avo
27th February 2014, 12:46 AM
I have a feb 1993 gq 4.2 mate and the stick is 483mm long,the bit that measures the oil at the end is 34mm.

cheers

AB
27th February 2014, 06:46 AM
I can't believe they differ as well.

I remember we had some discussions on here a while back and they do differ.

From memory my 90 td42 measured 498mm.

Just click on the parts link at the top of this page mate and give Patrolapart a ring, tell them your from here and let them know your year and they'll send you one at a good price. Shipping would be minimal and they should of the exact size to suit your year.

Would be interested to find out why mr nissan changed sizes...different tube heights for some reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
27th February 2014, 07:01 AM
Ok so to not confuse everyone. Are we measuring from the top lip seal to tip??

Mine is 495. 91 Na td42

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 01:12 PM
Ok so to not confuse everyone. Are we measuring from the top lip seal to tip??

Mine is 495. 91 Na td42

That would be the best place to measure I guess. Am also interested in the length of the tip itself.....

AB, I think Patrolapart were the ones that initially told me they were different and that you couldn't get them anymore. Will have to troll through my emails to check though....

So, from the responses so far they do appear to be different lengths (unless measurements have been taken from different places). The dipstick tube length must be the same as it is the same part number for ALL TD42 GQs..... So does this mean that perhaps the sumps are different?

threedogs
27th February 2014, 01:17 PM
I'd be ringing the wreckers , are there three different sumps as well for different oil capacity

Avo
27th February 2014, 01:40 PM
hey flashman I also took mine from the top lip seal to the tip mate just to clear things up,didn't bother adding that as you asked to be measured from there in the question.
cheers

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 02:37 PM
hey flashman I also took mine from the top lip seal to the tip mate just to clear things up,didn't bother adding that as you asked to be measured from there in the question.
cheers

Thanks wa, hopefully I'll get a few more measurements and then can sort out what I need to get..... at the moment it looks like a 12-15mm difference between the pre 91 and post 91 models (assuming Westies is an early 91).

Westie, is yours a pre Oct 91 model be any chance. If so then that would be similar to AB's (give or take 3mm). I hope it is else that confuses things completely.....

BigRAWesty
27th February 2014, 02:47 PM
Haha. September 91..

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 03:08 PM
Good stuff. So we can assume that the earlier ones are 12-15mm longer than the one I have..... tis quite bizarre.

Just spoke to my offsider who has a much earlier Mav and he says the one he used to have (before it was stolen while having his starter motor refurbed) didn't have an 'end' on it as such. Had a twist in the metal at the end with either 2 notches or 2 marks punched onto it. Is that what you pre Oct 91 guys have?

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 06:32 PM
mmm it appears that perhaps the only difference might be that the early ones are only longer as they did not have a stopper (or return) as such that fitted inside the dipstick tube to provide a better seal. The later one then has a shorter steel bit but if you can picture the total length once it is inserted into the tube it would be the same.... Does this make sense. Some pics of you guys 'handles' and the 'ends' might provide some clarification......

Thanks

happygu
27th February 2014, 06:57 PM
Flashman,

If you arent in a real hurry for your dipstick, I am heading to Perth from Melbourne at the end of March, and can pick up one from Patrolapart, and bring it over in my bag ( You just have to work out which one you want )

I will be working at the Royal Showgrounds and staying nearby on the beachfront, if that is convenient....

Mic

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 07:16 PM
happygtu,
I'll check with Patrolapart for the price of the early dipstick. If its much less than Mr Nissan ($43 I think) I will take you up on that offer. Thanks

AB
27th February 2014, 07:27 PM
Good stuff. So we can assume that the earlier ones are 12-15mm longer than the one I have..... tis quite bizarre.

Just spoke to my offsider who has a much earlier Mav and he says the one he used to have (before it was stolen while having his starter motor refurbed) didn't have an 'end' on it as such. Had a twist in the metal at the end with either 2 notches or 2 marks punched onto it. Is that what you pre Oct 91 guys have?

Sorry mate but not the case for my 90.

Winnie
27th February 2014, 07:37 PM
Mine looks like this and measures 483mm.

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 07:43 PM
Winnie, thats what mine looks like.
AB, that looks skinny, is that side on? Is there a fatter side....

I reckon its the handle end where the differences maybe (as OldMav pointed out in another forum)

growler2058
27th February 2014, 07:51 PM
From here
To here = 495mm 1990 td42

growler2058
27th February 2014, 07:56 PM
And mine is like wire rope

Winnie
27th February 2014, 08:30 PM
Yours is the same as mine growler.

growler2058
27th February 2014, 08:34 PM
Yours is the same as mine growler.

But mines longer? (495mm)

I know this cause I perve hahahahahaha

Winnie
27th February 2014, 08:35 PM
Oh yeah.... Lol

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 09:02 PM
I just remembered mine was wire rope too... Winnie, from your sig yours is a 93 model, correct? What about yours Growler (month/year)?

Oh, Winnie, did you measure from/to same place as Growler?

growler2058
27th February 2014, 09:20 PM
1990 mate I'll look tomorrow at the month

Winnie
27th February 2014, 09:52 PM
I just remembered mine was wire rope too... Winnie, from your sig yours is a 93 model, correct? What about yours Growler (month/year)?

Oh, Winnie, did you measure from/to same place as Growler?

Sorry I meant to add that mine is March 93. I measured the exact same way that Growler did.

happygu
27th February 2014, 09:53 PM
My 89 model had the same dipstick as Growler's.

Cant tell you the length though......

Mic

flashman1207
27th February 2014, 11:07 PM
Right so it definately looks like the early ones are around the 495mm mark and the later ones ie Oct 91 - 95 are 483mm ish....... The damned sumps must be different else the levels would be different

happygu
27th February 2014, 11:42 PM
Just thinking out loud, it might have been the change from the Silver Top to the Black Top.......

BigRAWesty
28th February 2014, 12:11 AM
From here
To here = 495mm 1990 td42

X2 exactly.. Pressed alloy end, silver top

Winnie
28th February 2014, 06:03 AM
Just thinking out loud, it might have been the change from the Silver Top to the Black Top.......

Mine is silver top same as Andy and growler.

Robo
28th February 2014, 12:48 PM
This may help,In case your wondering GU.
2002 model.

solid stainless tip approx 100mm long.
and flexible cable centre section

flashman1207
28th February 2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks Robo..... anyone got access to the parts catalog? If so can you see if there are different sumps

happygu
28th February 2014, 07:52 PM
Flashman,

After reading all the posts, the different dipstick obviously isnt the difference between the Silver and Black Tops, as yours being 94 should be the Black Top but has the same dipstick with the alloy end as my old 89 Silver Top

Must be some other reason..... keep digging to get the right dipstick ....

I think you should be right using the same length as all the other early wire rope dipper.

Mic

growler2058
28th February 2014, 08:44 PM
Flashman,

After reading all the posts, the different dipstick obviously isnt the difference between the Silver and Black Tops, as yours being 94 should be the Black Top but has the same dipstick with the alloy end as my old 89 Silver Top

Must be some other reason..... keep digging to get the right dipstick ....

I think you should be right using the same length as all the other early wire rope dipper.

Mic

Winnies wire dip stick is shorter than my wire dipstick

happygu
28th February 2014, 09:10 PM
Sorry Growler, you are right

What I should have said is, that i think the alloy end piece will be the same length on all the wire rope dippers, and Flashman should only need to get the same length wire rope part as what he has already.

Mic

growler2058
28th February 2014, 09:39 PM
It's got me stuffed why sumps would be different maybe we gotta take some pics and measurements of our sumps

Robo
1st March 2014, 12:19 AM
It's got me stuffed why sumps would be different maybe we gotta take some pics and measurements of our sumps

What about the position of dip stick handle?.
Humm,
does a intercooler require a sticks different position and then you need a different length also?.

Robo
1st March 2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks Robo..... anyone got access to the parts catalog? If so can you see if there are different sumps

Download nissan fast from the manual section and all the info is at hand whenever you need it.
Not to mention the schematics are also a great visual tool to have.

once installed you simply type in your chassie number and presto,
all you could ever need to know parts wise for your exact model,
providing a previous owner hasn't changed something.

love ke70
6th March 2014, 10:52 PM
This is the most frustratingly fascinating thread, I have a 97 with the twisted stainless end and wire rope. will measure it tomorrow.

Cheers, Andy

love ke70
7th March 2014, 12:22 PM
502 from the bit that sits hard down against the tube, to the very tip.
this is a 97 black top
with the braided wire and twisted stainless end.

Cheers, Andy

flashman1207
7th March 2014, 10:04 PM
Oh bloody eck, so the post 95 ones are also a different length... The mind boggles !!!!