PDA

View Full Version : wireless reversing cameras

kevingalloway
26th February 2014, 07:49 PM
Hi, Was wondering if anyone has had experience with reverse cameras. The daughter would like one on her 2011 Mazda 3 as it is tight parking at her work. Repco have a Gator 4.3" Wireless Reversing Camera System on special for $99.00.
Are they worth it or should I look at another unit?

regards Kevin G

Cuppa
26th February 2014, 08:14 PM
I know nothing of the particular unit you refer to. However I thought it worth mentioning that everyone I know who has bought wireless reversing/rear vision cameras (probably half a dozen) have changed to wired or want to. I understand that wireless cameras are ok when away from town, but have a nasty habit of picking up stray signals/interference in the city.
Picture quality on either type is far crisper & cleaner with a CCD rather than CMOS type camera, & a larger sensor size makes a noticeable difference too.

Will be interested to hear what wireless camera owners here think of them.

TPC
26th February 2014, 08:19 PM
Have heard the same thing as Cuppa about the wireless ones so I went wired.

kevin07
26th February 2014, 09:10 PM
sounds like we need a little more time for these to be developed

FNQGU
27th February 2014, 01:59 PM
I'd love to have one that can be viewed somehow through my iPad. Mounted on the roof rack or something, but that can be used to check back on the trailer without having to put the vehicle into reverse like my standard reverse camera. Probably not legal but would be handy all the same.

Hodge
27th February 2014, 02:13 PM
I'd love to have one that can be viewed somehow through my iPad. Mounted on the roof rack or something, but that can be used to check back on the trailer without having to put the vehicle into reverse like my standard reverse camera. Probably not legal but would be handy all the same.

Bluetooth cameras are available. But It would be very impractical, as everytime you reverse, you'd manually have to open the app,wait for it to load up and pick-up signal etc...
I thought about that my self, as I use my goPro through my tablet and view it that way and considered somehow implementing a reversing camera through the tablet too, but yeah. Not viable at the moment.
We have wireless cameras on all work trucks and I don't know what technology of wireless they work on, but they work a treat. Within 2 seconds of hitting R, you can see everything on-screen. Mind you they cost a fair bit too afaik.

healy
27th February 2014, 02:39 PM
Jaycar have a wireless one for about $100. Yes it picks up other security cameras etc. But the picture quality is bloody good and it connects instantly when I hit reverse.

BillsGU
27th February 2014, 02:59 PM
Jaycar have a wireless one for about $100. Yes it picks up other security cameras etc. But the picture quality is bloody good and it connects instantly when I hit reverse.

Bought one of these some time ago from Jaycar. It was supposed to work over 80 metres or so. I was lucky if it sometimes worked over 8 metres (I had it on the caravan). Installed a wired camera and all is now good. Don't waste your money or ensure you get a money back guarantee if it doesn't work properly.

healy
27th February 2014, 03:14 PM
Ive had mine for awhile now moved from car to car and ive had no issues at all just my experience

TPC
27th February 2014, 03:29 PM
Ive had mine for awhile now moved from car to car and ive had no issues at all just my experience

What was yours worth?
It maybe some are better than others.

healy
27th February 2014, 04:53 PM
It was about $100

janderson
27th February 2014, 05:35 PM
I have a wireless one, had no problems with it. But I'm in the country.

lucus30
27th February 2014, 06:45 PM

Yeah I got one for Christmas though yet to install it

healy
27th February 2014, 09:17 PM
Yeah I got one for Christmas though yet to install it

I think the brand is response. It was a gift and its better than ive ever seen and ive seen I few

kevingalloway
23rd March 2014, 07:35 PM
hi Blokes, I ended up getting a Gator ARV43M with a 4.3"monitor inbuilt in a replacement mirror. It took a little time to wire in as I put it in the daughters Mazda 3, it would of been a lot easier in the patrol where all the covers on the kick plates are loose anyway. Colour looks good, it will take a bit to get used too but looks good.

thanks Kevin

DX grunt
23rd March 2014, 08:50 PM
I've just had a look at the Jaycar range and the word 'waterproof' doesn't appear on many of them.

Cuppa, is your view distorted/reduced with the 2 spares on the back? Where have you got yours mounted on the pod.

Rossco