PDA

View Full Version : Oodnadatta Track

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 07:41 PM
Pls point your way to the correct area I should ask about this .... after any info on experiences doing the Oodnadatta Track ... good or bad ...
Travelling July this year ..... only two vehicles

Cheers
:D

Sir Roofy
26th February 2014, 07:46 PM
Why not travel with a few of usdoing the simmo from the 2july
where leaving home thelast week of june

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 07:48 PM
Roooooffffyyyyy !!!!!!!

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 07:50 PM
I am flying to Adelaide and meeting up with 3 family Members ..... I was supposed to meet them in Alice Springs, but it has all changed. I don't know anything about this track ... we are leaving from Adelaide on the 3rd July I think ... tell me what you can :D

MudRunnerTD
26th February 2014, 07:55 PM
I am flying to Adelaide and meeting up with 3 family Members ..... I was supposed to meet them in Alice Springs, but it has all changed. I don't know anything about this track ... we are leaving from Adelaide on the 3rd July I think ... tell me what you can :D

Very very easy Super hwy. 4 lanes wide. Dirt. 100km/h all the way. It's a commute between places.

TPC
26th February 2014, 07:58 PM
Are you going the whole distance?
William Creek is a great place to stop if you like outback pubs.

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 08:01 PM
Very very easy Super hwy. 4 lanes wide. Dirt. 100km/h all the way. It's a commute between places.

Not going to be a problem (as such) being the start of Winter ? ... forgive my ignorance, but when I mention it to anyone they gasp ...
We are not 'seasoned 4wders' and I have a habit of blowing up cars

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 08:04 PM

What's the whole distance TPC ...??? Plan on getting to Alice Springs at least, then hopefully Darwin in my budgeted time limit

Fruitloop
26th February 2014, 08:04 PM

I like any pub lol :D

MudRunnerTD
26th February 2014, 08:13 PM
Not going to be a problem (as such) being the start of Winter ? ... forgive my ignorance, but when I mention it to anyone they gasp ...
We are not 'seasoned 4wders' and I have a habit of blowing up cars

Nah it will be pretty straight forward. Well graded. If its super wet it might get a little muddy but they will close it to traffic if it gets too wet to limit wheel rut damage to the road.

There is nothing to worry about there at all mate.

TPC
26th February 2014, 08:13 PM
Its about 700 KM from Lyndhurst to Marla, the upper sections have known to be rough sometimes, just drive to conditions.
I had a very big night at William Creek last time I was there until they called last drinks then staggered to where I had rolled out my swag.

happygu
26th February 2014, 10:47 PM
These roads are wider than any roads virtually anywhere else in the country, and are travelled by 4 and 2 Wheel Drives alike.

The only time they are a problem is when it is wet, and they will close the roads if they get too soggy

Remember the roads are remote, and they can be hot, but at that time of the year, there are heaps of travellers, and it isn't like the city - if you break down - everyone will want to stop and help.

Mic

firm351
26th February 2014, 11:00 PM
I went to William creek when I was 16 years old with my old man and I reckon still to this day it's one of the best nights I've ever had in a pub. Definitely the most memorable pub I've been to.

Stropp
27th February 2014, 01:15 AM
I have a mate and his wife that does relief manager at the William creek pub every year while the owners are on holiday, Leon Ashton is his name, just tell him you know me he will either look after you or throw you out! :harhar:

ova50
27th February 2014, 10:00 AM
Travelled there in 2010. Was like driving on a freeway for most of the trip. The worst part was the start of the track at Maree.
I purchased this 24 page book, gives info on points of interest along the way.
http://www.outbacktravellers.com.au/

And if you get a chance, head down to the Painted Desert.

threedogs
27th February 2014, 10:37 AM
I think if you travel when road is closed its something like $250 a wheel.
big bucks for a road train

Fruitloop
27th February 2014, 06:25 PM
Travelled there in 2010. Was like driving on a freeway for most of the trip. The worst part was the start of the track at Maree.
I purchased this 24 page book, gives info on points of interest along the way.
http://www.outbacktravellers.com.au/

And if you get a chance, head down to the Painted Desert.

Have seen that book on the internet .... might just invest I think .

Fruitloop
27th February 2014, 06:29 PM
I think if you travel when road is closed its something like $250 a wheel.
big bucks for a road train

Yea, a few people have mentioned the fines are quite high ....

sooty_10
27th February 2014, 06:32 PM
I've done it a couple of times and as everyone has said it is a pretty decent dirt highway. Ran into a broken down german family in a rental troopy, they blew the intake hose open. A coke can and some zip ties with a bit of sikaflex got them to Roxby downs :) The more north you go the less travelled the road in my opinion, we went a good couple of days without seeing anyone else on the road.