PDA

View Full Version : Any good books that might be of interest

firm351
26th February 2014, 07:38 PM
G'day folks,

Over the last couple of years i have started reading books while i'm away at work to try and keep me out of the pub at night time(doesn't always work). I like to read books about the Australian outback and its people especially the pioneers who open up our great country.

I love reading about places I've been to and getting inspiration to visit other places that i haven't been to yet and the stories of all our early explorers and how tough it was back then.

Anyway i thought i would start this thread to put out there some books that others might be interested in reading, it would be great if you guys had some books you've read that you could share aswell.

I'll start with this one

If your ever planning on crossing the Simpson or going to the flinders ranges this is a book you should try and read. Its the story of Reg and Griselda Sprigg who were the first people to complete a motorized crossing of the Simpson desert in none other than a mighty Patrol. its a great read full of history and funny yarns.

By Giselda Sprigg with Rod MacLean. It was 1962. Sweat-soaked and filthy, her tender Scottish skin punctured by the merciless spinifex spines, Griselda Sprigg battled on, helping haul their stricken vehicle clear of its latest bogging. The expedition continued and they became pioneers of outback travel by completing the first ever motorised Simpson Desert crossing.
DUNE IS A FOUR-LETTER WORD tells the story of Griselda and Reg Sprigg's pioneering desert adventures - not only in the Simpson Desert but all over
the vast Australian outback.

I'm always on the lookout for a good book so if you've read any let me know.

Cheers, Paul.

Hodge
26th February 2014, 07:43 PM
I read this recently. Cattlement of the high country. Taught me that there is a lot more going on in the VHC, than awesome scenery and good camping and offroading. Bloody tough men these...

mudski
26th February 2014, 07:46 PM
Well I'm not much of a book reader myself. I'm a magazine man. i just finished reading this mag. Had some reading interesting articles in it too. I swear it did...

Sorry Paul. I just had too.

MudRunnerTD
26th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Frank Hardy

Power Without Glory. Great book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Without_Glory

Bryce Courtney

Solomons Song. Great book about Galipoli. Great book

I have got to recommend also Wilbur Smith! Anything! The Balantyne series is a Fantastic epic +10 book epic covering at least 6 generations of Ballantyne family in Africa. Extraordinary reading.

taslucas
26th February 2014, 08:22 PM
Great thread idea mate. I have a few about the pioneers in Tassie. Mostly mineral hunters but they've got nothing on the big desert trips

BigRAWesty
26th February 2014, 08:23 PM
Anything from Steven hawkings will blow minds..
While mudski's books will blow other things.. Lol

mudski
26th February 2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah sorry i have great ambitions to read a book one day but just can't bring myself to do it. Heck my 10 year old daughter has already read more books than I ever had in my entire life. I seriously wish I had the patience to sit and read as I always see the bio's in book shops that look like they would be good to read.

TPC
26th February 2014, 08:32 PM
I recently read a book called "A Fortunate Locality" which is about the history of Noarlunga and the surrounding area south of Adelaide.
I have always lived in this area and found it fascinating.

I agree with Mudrunner that anything by Wilber Smith is great, have all of his books and have read them several times.

firm351
26th February 2014, 08:40 PM
Well I'm not much of a book reader myself. I'm a magazine man. i just finished reading this mag. Had some reading interesting articles in it too. I swear it did...

Sorry Paul. I just had too.

No worries mate I've never got past the pictures so I'm glad you pointed it out

fracster
26th February 2014, 09:02 PM
Bryce Courtney

Solomons Song. Great book about Galipoli. Great book

That is a fantastic book, superbly written,pretty sure it is the last book of a trilogy about the early settling of your land. Try the Power of one and Tandia by the same author, two interesting books.

I read a hell of a lot, recently got a Kindle reader, they are great,loads of books can be stored, ideal for weeks away from home.

NP99
26th February 2014, 09:13 PM
Len Biddel, I think his name is. A few books written by him when he drove a bull dozer out in SAus opening up new roads and highways......details are a bit blury.......

Family4x4
26th February 2014, 11:28 PM
These two are written by a local historian of the Vic high country. I think you would like them both.

threedogs
27th February 2014, 09:25 AM
Len Biddel, I think his name is. A few books written by him when he drove a bull dozer out in SAus opening up new roads and highways......details are a bit blury.......

I think you mean Len Beadell he made the Connie sue Hwy named after his daughter and many more hwy in the Outback, . quite a guy and only passed away in 1995
Clowns used to take his marker plaques , so len struck some new ones and his daughter replaced them with the help of some 4x4 clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Beadell

Pretty sure the TLCCV moved Lens truck to a near by community to preserve this piece of history

firm351
27th February 2014, 09:25 AM
I have got to recommend also Wilbur Smith! Anything!

If you like Wilbur Smith novels you would also love Peter Watt novels, he's an Aussie writer, the frontier series is an epic saga about the Duffy and the Macintosh families and how their families have become forever linked. 8 book series starting out in the mid 1800's. Brilliant reading unputdownable stuff.

firm351
28th February 2014, 11:31 AM
This one is an excellent book about pioneering days of road transport.They don't build men like these anymore

A son of the red centre by Kurt Johannsen

Kurt Gerhardt Johannsen was born in 1915 at Deep Well, 80 km S of Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia and showed early mechanical/inventive aptitude. A "Stock Journal of SA" book review (Nov 1992) gives some of the following information. He has been referred to as "the man who made things work" and "mechanic extraordinaire". He is best known for his development in 1946 of the first commercially viable road trains for cattle transport and other transportation. A Son of the Red Centre is a smorgasbord of memoirs and anecdotes from his colorful and fascinating life.

NP99
3rd March 2014, 06:13 PM
I think you mean Len Beadell he made the Connie sue Hwy named after his daughter and many more hwy in the Outback, . quite a guy and only passed away in 1995
Clowns used to take his marker plaques , so len struck some new ones and his daughter replaced them with the help of some 4x4 clubs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Beadell

Pretty sure the TLCCV moved Lens truck to a near by community to preserve this piece of history

You're right John. They are good reads about the work he did with his team and machinery. Would have been good, but tough times out there :)

NotTortoise
3rd March 2014, 10:02 PM
Sorry to stray slightly form the original post, but does anybody read sci-fi novels?

NP99
3rd March 2014, 11:24 PM
Sorry to stray slightly form the original post, but does anybody read sci-fi novels?

Does the 3 litre Diesel engine count? :)

Bush Ranger
4th March 2014, 09:07 AM
Moondyne Joe: The man and the myth by Ian Elliot and The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes aren`t a bad read. Have read a few books in the past, but these two stuck in my mind the most.

NotTortoise
4th March 2014, 09:56 AM
Does the 3 litre Diesel engine count? :)

You know, the more i'm here the happier I am that I sprung for the 4.2T

firm351
4th March 2014, 10:14 AM
One of my all time favorites is A Fortunate Life by A.B Facey. I think its the first book i ever read and still one of the best.

MB
13th July 2018, 08:38 PM
Mr Postman has kindly delivered today our complete set of Ron Edwards ‘BUSHCRAFT’.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/07/117.jpg
Has got some great old Aussie skills throughout, should be a ripper read!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
13th July 2018, 09:25 PM
Where did you get these from Mark?

MB
13th July 2018, 09:39 PM
https://www.ramsskullpress.com/

Ghosts
22nd February 2019, 08:13 PM
The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes I have read, which I didn`t mind.
Moondyne Joe, The Man And The Myth by Ian Elliot was another book I enjoyed reading.

MB
3rd December 2020, 07:47 PM
2020 has been such a challenging year for us all globally. In the grand scale of other nations massive tragedies our kids homeschooling/internet flogging for several months here appears to have brought at least some future mindset goodness hopefully.
A techy contradiction in terms but suggested the girls SMS me their christmas letters as our postal system to the north pole is still buggered [emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/23.jpg
Pretty damn sure the whole family us/me need to read more and learn how to betterer spell and grammatically construct SMS [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]