PDA

View Full Version : Dull thud noise

Rickie3
26th February 2014, 09:31 AM
my 2000 GU 3 litre makes a horrible dull thudding sound when first starting and switching engine off, the noise is also audible when driving and hitting slight bumps, could it be a broken engine mount? what is the best way to test if broken? ive tried with the engine running 1st and reverse to see if the engine lifts but the engine hardly moves any other pointers?

BigRAWesty
26th February 2014, 09:34 AM
Under hard acceleration and deacceleration does the gear stick move sideways much??

Rickie3
26th February 2014, 09:43 AM
Under hard acceleration and deacceleration does the gear stick move sideways much??
havent noticed but will check that out shortly

Tomdinneen
26th February 2014, 03:28 PM
if you get under the car with a crow bar or some sort of leaver slide it under something solid and try to lift the engine if the mount separate there stuffed

Stropp
26th February 2014, 05:55 PM
i would say engine mounts.

Bulbous
27th February 2014, 04:49 AM
Before you get into the expense of engine mounts, I'd say that you should check all the exhaust mounting points. If one's broken then when you go over a speed bump or something, then the exhaust can hit the chassis and it makes horrible dull thuds. Also on start up and shut down.

Rickie3
2nd March 2014, 09:01 PM
Ok chaps after an exhausting day trying to find this damn dull thudding noise, I tried all engine mounts, gearbox mounts with a pinch bar and none were broken and appeared to be in excellent order, so I checked exhaust system and all mounting that appeared fine, anyway I sang out to my son to bounce up and down on the bullbar, well bugger me there was that horrid thumping sound, I ended up located the problem, the chassis mounts at the front under the radiator support are ratshit, anyway just to get me out of trouble I cut some thick rubber washers and forced into the gap, now to add injury to insultthe bloody bolt on the right side snapped so looks like fun and games drilling that sucker out, anyway my question is? in order to replace the front chassis rubbers do I need to loosen all the cab mounts? and wheres the best place to buy these new bushes?

happygu
2nd March 2014, 09:32 PM
Good find Rickie,

Cant comment with authority on the changing over of the body mounts, but I would think you could try loosening the front mounts a little, and try levering a gap with which to remove and replace the mounts.

You could try Patrolapart, Ebay or Nissan, for the parts.

Mic

Parksy
2nd March 2014, 10:07 PM
You will need to loosen all the mounts because it requires the body to be lifted about an inch just to remove the mount and install the new. Stick with genuine mounts, atoc I think has the best prices. Don't go to nissan to buy them, you will die at their prices. Sounds like a difficult job but it's not that bad. Only need to lift one side of the car at a time, not the whole thing.

Rickie3
6th March 2014, 06:35 PM
Ok decided to hook in and replace those worn front chassis mounts today, bought new nolothane bushes got them at trade price $90 the pair, anyway decided to start on the right side and had to try and get out that snapped bolt so loosened all body mount bolts and jacked her up, got the old mount out fine, so I gathered up a old wheel nut and welded onto where the bolt had snapped all went ok then the bolt snapped again so I was in the shit big time and there was no way of drilling out as there was a fair amount of bolt left in there, so I removed my bullbar and had to make a cut where the chassis bolt was located that went well, managed to cold chissel the bugger out and I bought a new bolt and nut,installed bush and re-welded my cuts and covered the welds and plate with sound deadner, all up took me 3 hours to replace both mounts and re-install the bullbar, but well worth the effort my bus is fantastic on the road now and no more horrible thuds

BigRAWesty
6th March 2014, 09:02 PM
Shoit that's extreme. Couldnt you just cut the head Off and use a pin punch and tap the bolt up threw??

Also as above..
Stick to genuine. I got the full set of 10 For just over $200 (from memory) from patrol a part.
Mention your on np.com And get wicked prices.

It's best to do all 10 points so the body and chassis stay even And "parallel".
With your setup now you've pretty much driven a widge between the body and chassis..
It will cause bigger issues soon..
Ie body mounts cracking out..