PDA

View Full Version : New member and a new 2009 3.0L CRD

apalsson
26th February 2014, 07:59 AM
G'day,

I thought I'd post a brief intro. I have just bought my latest GU, this one is a 2009 that I snapped up with only just over 46000km on the dial.
Before this one, I have had two, or a 2001 3.0L manual and a 2005 Auto.
The first one was well kitted for outback touring and the plans for this latest one are to do similar.

Here is a photo of our old one on Stockton Beach

This is the new rig. I have just had an OME 2" lift and a bulbar installed. Next will be a dual battery setup, a snorkel and some driving lights

threedogs
26th February 2014, 08:08 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, heaps of info here so jump in anytime and enjoy,
Nice pick up on your latest Patrol is it Black?
Any issues with the 2001 model

apalsson
26th February 2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah, despite having promised myself not to get another black car, I decided to give this one a go because she was as new. Never left the bitumen actually!

I had very few issues with the 2001. They had the original ECU with a fault that only showed up under very specific circumstances. Nissan Australia flatly denied there was an issue there but through an understanding Service Manager in Canberra, we managed to get into the ears of Nissan Japan who sent out 3 or 4 modified units. (I believe those were subsequently the standard units in later models but I'm not 100% sure on that)
Anyhow, the replacement ECU fixed the issue but fuel consumption went up slightly. These units were marked development units and I had to report back to Nissan on how they did.
In the end, everyone was happy!

threedogs
26th February 2014, 09:32 AM
great thanks for that I think you are the 3rd black patrol here,
The ECU failure ,,,,I wonder if that had anything to do with the early models
exploding, and of course Nissan would say there is no problem,
I wonder how many others were given the Trial ECU. Interesting

Hodge
26th February 2014, 10:40 AM
Welcome aboard mate. Very friendly and informative bunch of folks around here. Good choice of car too !!! Enjoy!

apalsson
26th February 2014, 10:44 AM
The ECU failure ,,,,I wonder if that had anything to do with the early models
exploding, and of course Nissan would say there is no problem,
I wonder how many others were given the Trial ECU. Interesting

These symptoms were mainly at high altitude and heavy use like towing. A classical example was I was going up White Mountain behind Batemans Bay and all of a sudden lost all power and was pumping out white smoke
Switched off the car and started again and all was well
From memory, there were four units sent out. One went into my car before I was heading out for a Red Centre trip (towing). One went into a car in Canberra that often played in the Mt Koz area and one went to Darwin

apalsson
26th February 2014, 10:47 AM
Welcome aboard mate. Very friendly and informative bunch of folks around here. Good choice of car too !!! Enjoy!

Thanks mate, forum is great!

Gecko17
26th February 2014, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

JoeG
26th February 2014, 02:34 PM
Welcome
Must be like home to you as you obviously like patrols
lots of things tom learn and find out here
Good luck with the fit out looks good so far
regards
Joe

Stropp
26th February 2014, 03:39 PM
welcome to the forum mate, i was at stockton early this month whilst visiting my daughter in the hunter, good info on the ecu on early patrols too thx.

MEGOMONSTER
26th February 2014, 04:14 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

happygu
26th February 2014, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Patrol looks pretty neat ..... I do like the black ones, as you don't see as many around

Mic

apalsson
26th February 2014, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Patrol looks pretty neat ..... I do like the black ones, as you don't see as many around

Mic

Thanks Mic,

No, there don't seem to be many black ones out there. I rather like the colour even though they are a PITA to keep clean!

apalsson
26th February 2014, 07:05 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Thanks for the welcome mate. I'm certain you are right about the forum. There is a lot of info here and people seem friendly.
I had been lurking on another big Patrol 4x4 forum and must say the atmosphere here beats that one hands down and the information more credible!

Dhuck
26th February 2014, 07:44 PM
welcome to the forum mate.

my third 256
27th February 2014, 07:52 AM
hi and welcome to the forum a great mob of people here and a lot of very usefull information
best wishes with your patrolling
stephen

apalsson
1st March 2014, 04:21 AM
Thanks Stephen,
I agree, there is a lot of good info here and very helpful info!

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2014, 06:30 AM
Welcome 2 the forum

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out when they can

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

Mick80
1st March 2014, 07:05 AM
Hi Apalsson, welcome, sure to find some great info and some laughs here.

trekster
1st March 2014, 07:51 PM
Howdy, Whereabouts in Coffs are you? I'm a Coffs local myself, But currently in the process of moving just north of Corindi.

Cheers,
Eric.

apalsson
2nd March 2014, 02:49 AM
Hi Eric,

Good to hear from another local
I live in the area behind the Bray Street shopping centre

Dave_H
6th March 2014, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

I too think Black looks awesome but as you said PITA to keep clean, This is my 08 i picked up a few months ago with 55k on it

apalsson
6th March 2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks Dave,

That is one good looking truck mate!

apalsson
21st April 2014, 04:21 PM
I have been bolting some bits onto my new Patrol

They include:

2" OME Lift
2 Degree Castor Kit
15mm spacers behind the Radius Arms to move the front wheels forward by the same
285/70R17 BF Goodrich A/T tyres
Polaris GPS / Radio / Bluetooth/Reversing Camera
Airtec (TJM) Snorkel
Oricom UHF380 Radio
Dual Battery System (Redarc)
Brake Controller (Redarc)
TD Recovery Points

I'm sure I have forgotten some already ..... :)
In the planning is:

Rooftop Tent Roofrack (currently looking at Ironman)
Awning
Rear Drawers - I'm in the process of building those. Might spawn a separate thread on the build)
Ironman Ice-Cube 40L fridge
Ironman Fridge Slide
Runva Winch

Here is a photo of the progress