PDA

View Full Version : dawes valve and needle set? and other bits :)

anyfin
25th February 2014, 06:12 PM
Hi

I have a 2002 3ltr turbo diesel Patrol which I purchased in 2004 with 52000klm on the clock.

It now has 221000 on the clock and has not let me down. It is my daily drive and tow vehicle for our 1.8t boat. Albury to Bermagui is the hard work tow, but as long as I take my time it does a great job and is in my opinion good on fuel.

It is serviced every 10000 k by the Walla Nissan dealer and they have done a great job.

having read all the post on how unreliable they can be, I have headed down the path of bomb proofing as best we can, the engine.

I have fitted Autron boost and exhaust gauges and have just fitted a catch can for the oil mist.

Last week it went back to the dealer who on my request, removed the intercooler and had it cleaned and pressure tested, removed the inlet manifold and checked for the soot, paste build up in there. Thy also did the standard service on the vehicle.

The results of their detective work is, a slightly leaking intercooler and in the inlet manifold, a 1-2mm build up of soot around all of the inlets. Nothing like the horror pictures that I have seen on here. I will post a pic later when I work out how to do it, or when my kids come home :)

Got a call today to tell me the blocking plate has arrived, that's next. Which leads me to a few questions for those that know.

1/ are there good and not so good Dawes valves and needle set's? Where do I get a good one? I have seen them on Ebay but do not know the difference.

2/ Intercoolers, I would like to replace the standard one with a better/larger one. Recommendations as to which one and from where would be great? Do I need one with a fan?, the slowest speed that I tow at would be 40klmph up Browns mountain.

3/ After the above mentioned mods, a 3 inch exhaust and complete tune to match will follow. How many mods can be done before you start to lose the reliability of the 3ltr engine? Happy to listen to other mods that will help prolong the life of the engine and that may make it work better.

great site, great help

thanks in advance

Doug

Hodge
25th February 2014, 07:17 PM
1/ are there good and not so good Dawes valves and needle set's? Where do I get a good one? I have seen them on Ebay but do not know the difference.

2/ Intercoolers, I would like to replace the standard one with a better/larger one. Recommendations as to which one and from where would be great? Do I need one with a fan?, the slowest speed that I tow at would be 40klmph up Browns mountain.

3/ After the above mentioned mods, a 3 inch exhaust and complete tune to match will follow. How many mods can be done before you start to lose the reliability of the 3ltr engine? Happy to listen to other mods that will help prolong the life of the engine and that may make it work better.

G'day doug. I'll answer the 3rd question first. The mods you mentioned above will prolong the engines life. Another mod you may want to do is block the EGR. Illegal in some states, but you engine will thank you for it.
Intercoolers? How deep is the wallet? You can buy the spare-no-expense cross country coolers for example for around 1200-1300. Or you can go for a crimped ends version of the factory cooler with a better core for around 400-500 on eBay.
Dawes and needle valves... Contact Mudski on this forum. He is a distributor here, he has the full kits you need.

mudski
25th February 2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks Eric. EGR plates are illegal period. In any state. But I'd rather risk it and block the egr that to let it slowly destroy the engine. As for the op, block the egr last mate. Get everything else done first. Reason being blocking the egr I have seen and many people have reported to me that blocking the egr before installing the dawes and needle valve they have noticed their boost readings going all over the shop even worse than leaving it stock. It's a two stubbie job to block the egr so it's best to leave it last.

mudski
25th February 2014, 08:16 PM
Hi

I have a 2002 3ltr turbo diesel Patrol which I purchased in 2004 with 52000klm on the clock.

It now has 221000 on the clock and has not let me down. It is my daily drive and tow vehicle for our 1.8t boat. Albury to Bermagui is the hard work tow, but as long as I take my time it does a great job and is in my opinion good on fuel.

It is serviced every 10000 k by the Walla Nissan dealer and they have done a great job.

having read all the post on how unreliable they can be, I have headed down the path of bomb proofing as best we can, the engine.

I have fitted Autron boost and exhaust gauges and have just fitted a catch can for the oil mist.

Last week it went back to the dealer who on my request, removed the intercooler and had it cleaned and pressure tested, removed the inlet manifold and checked for the soot, paste build up in there. Thy also did the standard service on the vehicle.

The results of their detective work is, a slightly leaking intercooler and in the inlet manifold, a 1-2mm build up of soot around all of the inlets. Nothing like the horror pictures that I have seen on here. I will post a pic later when I work out how to do it, or when my kids come home :)

Got a call today to tell me the blocking plate has arrived, that's next. Which leads me to a few questions for those that know.

great site, great help

thanks in advance

Doug

As for the other q's.
1. My store is on flea bay, mcb autoparts, if you have the egr plate then all you need is the two valves. Setting them up is different for every engine but I supply a write up on how this is all done. Plus pictures.

2. It all depends on your budget. You can spend $400 or you can spend up to $1200. The difference between the two in performance wise I can't tell you. I bought a $400 unit and it works. I stalling a fan on the ic, in my opinion will be a waste of time, all you will be doing is blocking air flow. You are better off getting a larger scoop. Not cheap to purchase but way more effective than a fan.

3. If you are going down the exhaust track, get a chip as well. No point, in my opinion again, getting one and not the other. As for other mods you can get a high flow maf housing and air box lid from HPD. Just installing this won't give you and performance gain at all, adding these two things allows you to raise your boost levels beyond stock. Around 16 psi. I have gone as far as 25 psi and still didn't hit limp mode....

Hope this helps as it's a pita to type on this tablet.

anyfin
25th February 2014, 10:07 PM
thanks boys, will do a bit of fleabay shopping tomorrow :)

anyfin
26th February 2014, 09:49 PM
@ mudski, do you do a dawes valve and needle valve set with out the egr plate? Picked mine up today, paid way to much looking at your prices :(

mudski
26th February 2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah mate. Shoot me a pm and we can discuss it further if you wish. Buy via these forums and not eBay and 10% of the sales goes back into the forum too...

anyfin
27th February 2014, 05:08 PM

a couple of pictures of the inlet manifold.

anyfin
27th February 2014, 05:08 PM

a couple of pictures of the inlet manifold.

seekers282
27th February 2014, 07:03 PM
Any picture on where to install the dawes valve and needle valve..i got a diagram from a website..but i dont know which one is the air filter resonator amd vacuum pump..a bit of confusion here..any picture that can show which one is the air filter resonator and the vacuum pump is?41192

mudski
28th February 2014, 12:21 PM
on a direct injection model the vacuum pump outlet is a steel pipe pretty much directly under the front on the intercooler coming up from the right side of the motor. From that steel pipe there is rubber tubing that if you follow this tubing it runs around and along the intake pipe back towards the air box. Then it goes under to the vacuum solenoid ( this has three tubes an an electrical plug on it). To install both dawes and needle valve all three ports you need to block off. And just next to the solenoid is the air resonator box with one port. This port needs to go to one side of the needle valve.
Now on a crd, its exactly the same but the cacuum pipe is on the left side of the motor.

Hope this helps.

seekers282
28th February 2014, 03:07 PM
41220 is this what it look like?got it from a website..forgot which one..

seekers282
28th February 2014, 03:11 PM
Can you explain why the 3 port is blocked?just for my info..so i know what im doing..

anyfin
1st March 2014, 12:00 PM
Dawes Valve and Needle Valve ordered, thanks mudski

Doug

mudski
1st March 2014, 04:21 PM
Can you explain why the 3 port is blocked?just for my info..so i know what im doing..
Just so dirt doesn't get in the ports really.

Dawes Valve and Needle Valve ordered, thanks mudski

Doug
No problems bud. Sorry if I'm slow to reply to messages. Working to 11pm is a killer.

seekers282
3rd March 2014, 10:34 PM
Ok mudski..so the 3 ports wont be use after installing dawes valve and needle valve right?

mudski
3rd March 2014, 10:41 PM
Ok mudski..so the 3 ports wont be use after installing dawes valve and needle valve right?

Correct.... Just the single port behind this on the air resonator box is what you use.

seekers282
3rd March 2014, 11:25 PM
Okay..thanks again for the great info..

seekers282
29th March 2014, 11:22 PM
hello again..my zd30 is an automatic gear..how do i set up or when do i set up the dawes valve max psi?at final gear?or at each gear change..?and what max psi should i set at my dawes valve..btw ive blocked my egr..is it still ok if i install dawes valve without needle valve?since i havent got needle valve

mudski
29th March 2014, 11:33 PM
hello again..my zd30 is an automatic gear..how do i set up or when do i set up the dawes valve max psi?at final gear?or at each gear change..?and what max psi should i set at my dawes valve..btw ive blocked my egr..is it still ok if i install dawes valve without needle valve?since i havent got needle valve

Max boost is when your flat to the boards mate in any gear it wont matter. How far you set it. Only you csn tell us. Just go until you hit limp mode then back off a little.
Screwing the dawes in will raise your boost level too...

seekers282
30th March 2014, 12:04 AM
thanks mudski..btw best max setup either 16 or 18 psi?by the way..how do i buy your italy needle valve?42555

mudski
30th March 2014, 09:48 PM
thanks mudski..btw best max setup either 16 or 18 psi?by the way..how do i buy your italy needle valve?42555

Only you can tell me me which is better mate. Some cars hit limp at 16 psi or before some don't and will reach 18psi, or more. Just did a members car today and it hit 18psi without a problem. As to the second question. I have had the store in holiday mode as I needed a break. Working all day then tending to the store until 11pm everynight is starting to take its toll. Stores open again, but you can get it via here too if you wish. Just pm me mate.

Cheers.
Mark.

seekers282
30th March 2014, 11:09 PM
Only you can tell me me which is better mate. Some cars hit limp at 16 psi or before some don't and will reach 18psi, or more. Just did a members car today and it hit 18psi without a problem. As to the second question. I have had the store in holiday mode as I needed a break. Working all day then tending to the store until 11pm everynight is starting to take its toll. Stores open again, but you can get it via here too if you wish. Just pm me mate.

Cheers.
Mark.

ok.so it depend on my engine.thanks..will pm u after this..