PDA

View Full Version : Gu Factory Cruise Control

aljohno
24th February 2014, 05:50 PM
Hi All,
My 2006 4.2 tdti factory cruise control has started to play up.
There have been no changes to any electrical work and fault started to happen 3rd day after leaving Melb.

On/Off switch works ok and unit will turn on for short period of time 5/10 minutes then the Set light starts to flash.
After that it will not maintain speed.

On /off still works but the set light continues to flash and will only go out when ignition is turned off.

Have checked wiring etc and can find no shorts/breaks.

Next step will be to replace the control unit in drivers footwell.

Is there anything else I can look for.

Any help will be gratefully received

MudRunnerTD
24th February 2014, 09:56 PM
@yendor hey mate do you have any thoughts on this mate??

Hodge
24th February 2014, 10:10 PM
Hey mate. The week I got my patrol the cruise control was doing the same thing.
As far as I remember , it means there is an error code of a certain type in the system. Mine was something to do with the fly by wire petal which was subsequently recalled later anyway.

Do you have a scan gauge or anything to scan the system for any codes?

Yendor
24th February 2014, 10:50 PM
It doesn't sound like a problem with the brake pedal or clutch pedal switch.

Doesn't really sound like a problem with the vehicle speed signal either.

I would check the actuator and vacuum hoses for leaks, possible could be a vacuum pump problem.

Alitis007
25th February 2014, 08:38 AM
Are all your break lights working ? Have the globes been changed to LED??

aljohno
25th February 2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Brake lights are all LED but have been this way for over 12 months and everything has been working Ok

Will recheck all the vacumm lines, Brake/clutch switches etc but a bit more thoroughly this time.

Cruise is not fly-by-wire type so it should be a little easier to find without the scan tool.

I thought there might be a short somewhere in the control module as the 'set' globe is staying on(flashing) when the system is supposed to be switched off.

will keep you advised, but any further suggestions are welcome.

Just remembered that the speedo did jump around abit for awhile especially at lower speeds but appears to have settled down again.
Might try the battery disconnect trick and see if that helps too.

Alitis007
25th February 2014, 12:56 PM
Only reason i asked about the globes was because when i changed all mine to LED the cruise worked fine till i turned on my lights then it started flashing like you described but lights off worked fine. For my fault all i needed to do was fit a resistor, its some sort of fail safe i think.

Out of curiosity fit a normal filament globe in the eye level stop light just to eliminate that circuit. I think it takes a R10W globe

Yendor
25th February 2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Brake lights are all LED but have been this way for over 12 months and everything has been working Ok

Will recheck all the vacumm lines, Brake/clutch switches etc but a bit more thoroughly this time.

Cruise is not fly-by-wire type so it should be a little easier to find without the scan tool.

I thought there might be a short somewhere in the control module as the 'set' globe is staying on(flashing) when the system is supposed to be switched off.

will keep you advised, but any further suggestions are welcome.

Just remembered that the speedo did jump around abit for awhile especially at lower speeds but appears to have settled down again.
Might try the battery disconnect trick and see if that helps too.

How did you go mate? any joy?

Yes the "SET" light flashing is strange and could possibly be a faulty module. It could also be a short/pinched wire between the module and the set light.

It should be the "CRUISE" light that flashes if there is a fault.

I would recommend checking all inputs and pump operation before replacing the module.

If you get your post count up to 25 (just go and welcome some new members) you can down load the genuine workshop manual from here
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4202-Nissan-Patrol-GU-Y61-service-manual-INC-Supplement-I-II-III-IV-V-VI-VII-amp-VIII

Then just work through the flow chart in the electrical section.

aljohno
26th February 2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the help,
Have rechecked all the hoses/connections etc but unable to find any problems as yet.

Alitis the high level brake light is one that I have not changed as I figured it does not draw much current anyway. Besides I forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Yendor, I have a copy of the manual and have started working through it, although I have been out today and the system worked for a good 10 minutes until I got home again. Makes me think there is something shorting out after it warms up, which made me think of only electronic area as in control box. Brake/clutch and master switch all worked as they should. Tried turning on lights, trailer brake controller and any thing else that comes near the circuit.

The search continues.

Mudcrab
7th July 2014, 09:05 PM
Had the same problem on a recent tip to Kimberley. Thought the dust might have got into something. On one occasion the 'set' light flashed and would not hold a speed. On another occasion the set light went out completely and would not operate. On both occasions when I stopped and restarted vehicle it rectified. Has not happened again since returning. Just monitoring now.