PDA

View Full Version : clunk in 5th

jarrah
23rd February 2014, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. When in 5th gear If I have to take my foot off the accelerator to coast for a bit, when I put my foot back down, gently, it clunks back into acceleration. speed doesnt change this. What is the cause of this? Just had new dmf installed and 120k service.
Cheers

Hodge
23rd February 2014, 08:26 PM
Hey mate sorry to thread crap a bit but...
I'm unsure if it's related or not, but I have a similar clunk when in 5th, doing 90-100. If I take the foot of the throttle and then jump on it quick, there is a "clunk". Almost as if something take up slack, and takes half a second for the power/acceleration to take effect. If I step back on it "gently", this clunk isn't present. At that speed with noise and everything it's hard to assess where exactly it's coming from. This clunk, however became much heavier after my 33's were fitted.
This has been happening to mine since 40k when I bought it, it's now just over 50k and multitude of mods and accessories and it's still there.
I have no idea what it could be or if it's the same as yours, but I just learnt to live with it.

jarrah
23rd February 2014, 09:13 PM
yeah mate exactly the same you described it much better than i did! its just something that i have noticed after getting a bit of work done to the patrol. its quite hard to re-apply the pedal without getting a clunk even when doing it slowly. im running 33's but have been for a while. its only just come about since getting it back from mechanic. im going to give them a call tomorrow to see if i can get some info from them.

MudRunnerTD
23rd February 2014, 09:15 PM
If Clunks on Fifth! Who's on First??

CLUUUNKKK! What have you been upto!!!

mudski
23rd February 2014, 09:32 PM

Who's on first!? What's on second?

Parksy
23rd February 2014, 09:45 PM
Engine mounts!!!!!!! Passenger side. Hard to check for serviceability while installed, very hard infact. Replacing both is not too difficult a job.

mudski
23rd February 2014, 10:29 PM
On my Di it was a big pita to change the engine mounts. Mine does the same as the op but I don't get the clunk, and in any gear, it can just feel it. Must be a Patrol thing.

Clunk
23rd February 2014, 10:34 PM

and there was I trying my best to keep out of this thread lol...............

I would have also thought engine mounts or gear box mounts

jarrah
23rd February 2014, 11:34 PM
even though can only feel in 5th? they removed some bits under there to get to front engine oil leak that was covered under warranty. is there anything they would have had to loosen off to get that all sorted that they may have forgotten to do back up?

MudRunnerTD
24th February 2014, 10:37 AM
even though can only feel in 5th? they removed some bits under there to get to front engine oil leak that was covered under warranty. is there anything they would have had to loosen off to get that all sorted that they may have forgotten to do back up?

Hmmmm! See that changes everything!! "They" being Nissan? Take it back to them and make them own your new trouble. Take the Nissan Mechanic for a drive and show him the problem and see what he says.

jarrah
24th February 2014, 11:55 AM
yeah nissan! ;) haha i am calling them today! cheers!