PDA

View Full Version : Front hubs / diff not locked for a while.

Hodge
23rd February 2014, 01:11 PM
I just realized, that since I bought the trol, I haven't locked the front hubs. Nor did I go out of 2H. I'm not even sure if it's ever been front locked or in 4L/4H, considering it's history. I read somewhere this can be horrible for seals, and stuff can dry out. I used to do this ever few weeks on my Navara, lock front hubs for 10 or so K's to lube stuff up. But completely overlooked this on the trol.
The car's just clicked over 50k. Last few times I got it dirty, everything was doable in 4H.
Am I in for damage maybe? Should I just manually locked them, keep car in 2H and go for a spin as I did on the Nav ?

Clunk
23rd February 2014, 01:36 PM
Just lock them up and go for a spin

Sir Roofy
23rd February 2014, 01:39 PM
just lock them up and go for a spin

x2 on this

Hodge
23rd February 2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks gents. Will do that now.

lucus30
23rd February 2014, 03:03 PM
Mine had way more kms on it than that and I know for a fact they never had been locked but everything was all good

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2014, 05:56 PM
Na they'll be right.
You have oil On one side of the seal. So I don't think drying out will happen..

lhurley
23rd February 2014, 06:14 PM
The oil would splash around a bit while driving around.

Hodge
23rd February 2014, 06:22 PM
Just drove around with fronts locked in, went over to Mudskis, towed a trailer back, all up around 30 k's, so should be cool! I just can't believe it's something I overlooked when I was on top of it with the Navara! Thanks folks!

happygu
23rd February 2014, 06:31 PM
I think it would be fine anyway Hodge,

There are plenty that just get used as Toorak Tractors......and also plenty that get no maintenance too

Mic