PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic (older brother) says oil too thick?!?

Maughany
22nd February 2014, 02:48 PM
hey guys i know this is an ageless debate but thought i would seek input on this particular viscosity, so ive done some reading and research on here plus my personal experience mixed with the temperature down here and decided to stick with penrite oils being my favourite and purchased then Sin 15w-50w and was told by my older bro being a mechanic it was too thick and suggested i went with a 5w-30w. im happy with what i got but would still like some second opinions as i know theres alot of mechanics/experienced people on here.

cheers in advance
rob

Maughany
22nd February 2014, 03:16 PM
just downloaded and read abit into the nads handbook, 5w-30w.... should i put the 15w-50w in for 5000km and service it again or just not bother and buy thinner oil??

macca86
22nd February 2014, 03:33 PM
If you have a zd30 only use the thinner oil they are particular to oil

Maughany
22nd February 2014, 03:49 PM
If you have a zd30 only use the thinner oil they are particular to oil

ok thanks mate ive been furiously doing some more indepth searching since this post and yeah im about to head back to the shop and swap it with some penrite 5w-40w thanks for the posts

paulyg
22nd February 2014, 05:07 PM
I use that oil , runs great look in the owners hand book, that oil is fine for your climate, 5w/30 goes down to - 20c when is that going to happen in WA?

threedogs
22nd February 2014, 06:27 PM
I'm running 5/40 Penrite at the moment very happy with the results

Maughany
22nd February 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm running 5/40 Penrite at the moment very happy with the results

cool just grabbed 10l of 5w-40w and servicing atm and preparing for intercooler and egr block off with dawes valve tomorrow.

Parksy
23rd February 2014, 08:20 AM
Unless you're going to race the engine that oil is fine. With higher viscosity you get a higher shear strength and using oil analysis samples from different grades of oils, the higher viscosity samples usually show less metal particulates than the thinner oils. But being thicker you might effect your fuel economy and power a little. Personally, I prefer a lasting engine as opposed to good fuel figures.