PDA

View Full Version : Dawes valve, needle valve

Covo71
19th February 2014, 09:56 PM
Just starting to the NADS. A little confused, is the dawes valve and needle valve two different things? Difference? Is it possible to block egr and put dawes in without boost gauge? Reason asking is I have dawes and egr plate, can't afford boost gauge till next month. Any help great?

Lemo79
19th February 2014, 10:45 PM
Hey Covo71, I have just put Dawes and EGR plate in on the weekend myself, and knowing what I know now from doing so I would suggest not putting them in without boost guage. I also would not put the EGR plate in without having needle valve to go with the Dawes. Reasons being, it would be impossible to set the Dawes up to the required boost level you wanted without guage. 2 I found now with the EGR blocked when cruising at 100km the boost drops from a steady 10psi down to 5psi egt's climb then boosts back to 10psi and egt's drop and repeats, I assume this is because the ecu is dropping boost to suck EGR in that is now blocked. So the needle valve would bypass the ecu control and hopefully eliminate this problem. Was about to ask those in the know when I seen your post and advised what I have found so far.

Hopefully someone will tell me if I'm correct in thinking this and helping you out at the same time.

Lemo.

Covo71
20th February 2014, 07:25 AM
Thanks Lemo,
Might have to put off doing for another month ear till got some more cash. So am I here ing right if you could do again install gauge before doing other steps?
Scott

Lemo79
20th February 2014, 08:00 AM
I did have the guages installed first, and yes I would recommend you wait till guages in first, I would even familiarise yourself for a week, or at least a good drive somewhere at the boost levels your patrol produces before making the next steps.

Would highly recommend egt guage as well. You will be surprised how much heat they can produce under load, and how easy it is to get them into the danger zone especially with incorrect boost levels.

Lemo.