PDA

View Full Version : Gu patrol turbo timer/ sub tank issue

Joely_drift
18th February 2014, 10:34 PM
So tonight i finally figured out a simple quick way to hook up a OEX (ashdown ingram) same as boogard 3 wire style turbo timer without having any issues with the sub tank.

This timer is a basic B+ (Battery constant) red wire, an Ign+ (ignition feed) yellow wire, and earth (black wire).

And if i just hooked it in as simple as it sounds the sub tank warning light comes on after about a minute and the switch won't engage.

So to start this was on a 2004 and a 2005 gu patrol ute im just going to say how i did it not how i came to the conclusion this needs to be done, ill try draw up a schematic and post it in here too.

Once i had pulled the column covers off i had access straight on the back of the ign barrel, i unplugged it to make my work easier, first i ran my earth on the timer in an eye terminal and bolted it under the dash, second i ran my red wire on the timer (battery constant) and tapped into the thick white/red wire on the ignition barrel wiring, now this is where it sounds simple now but took forever to figure out cause i couldnt find anything about this anywhere, i had to strip the blue wire(ign) on the barrel back and the black with white stripe wire(acc) back and place a diode between them so that the ign wont come on when the acc do, and then i just tapped the yellow wire on the timer (ign) to the blue wire on the barrel, and boom it worked fine.

This timer cost me 70$ on trade at Ashdowns but you can get them from any bursons, autobarn and other auto-parts stores for around the 120$ mark retail where as the boogard plug an plays are anywhere from 230$ upwards, if you arnt electrically minded i highly recommend you buy a plug and play but if you wanna keep costs down and have a go this 3 wire setup is the way to go. Im unsure about the 4 wire timers i havn't had a go at those yet but im sure it would be same principle. The other thing if you wanna try an hook it up how it say and your sub tank dosnt work an the light wont go out once you have done it how i said, you need to disconnect your battery's for a couple minutes to reset everything, so i hope this helps everyone this is the first time ive ever posted a thread on here so i hope it works for everyone and please leave your feedback.

Lemo79
19th February 2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks, had been offered a turbo timer and had been contemplating accepting it and installing it in the patrol, but had no idea without the acc circuit being energised it would cause sub tank issues. Certainly something to keep in mind and an easy fix with a diode.

Lemo.

ThomasWatson
19th February 2014, 09:39 PM
Got my turbo timer installed today by my auto electrician he said he had some issues with the sub tank too