PDA

View Full Version : Have your say and be realistic .

dads tractor
17th February 2014, 08:53 PM
Here's your chance to get vehicle mods uniform and realistic ; this is a discussion paper now but will become law AU wide ,http://www.ncop.org.au/ so we need to have our say and back up our manufactures that have put the time and effort into their products . ie Marks adapters TJM ARB Superior Engineering off the top of my head and add all those that you have bought products off.

If we could start some sticky's and present our case in a concise manner with all of us voting so as to tell or combat the Police and Motor Vehicles Trader Association Racq and the likes and arm chair engineers them we have tried.

There will be someone that can read through all the headings and compress it down so we can vote from all over AU and incorporate other forums with a standard layout so the effect is greater.

So have a look and we will have a bit of a chat and see where it goes.

macca
18th February 2014, 07:00 AM
Had a quick look and registered, will have a better look later. Thanks for the link Dad

SonOf
18th February 2014, 07:25 AM
Will definitely read later. Just tried loading the page but site keeps hanging or returning 404 error, most likely the work servers.

my third 256
18th February 2014, 07:58 AM
is it ileagel to have your gps and other screens stuck to the windscreen in gld
its not in other states so this could be changed to match other states

macca
18th February 2014, 08:00 AM
is it ileagel to have your gps and other screens stuck to the windscreen in gld
its not in other states so this could be changed to match other states

Does that include those cameras too?

BigRAWesty
18th February 2014, 09:52 AM
It's a good cause. And needs to happen..
Its bs how it's currently setup..
Atm in sa, we can have Max 50mm lift, and 7mm tyre diameter increase..
Yet were the first to bring in light bars..

Go figure..

Family4x4
18th February 2014, 11:11 AM
Appears to be very wall ran. Needed cause.

epac252
18th February 2014, 11:17 AM
Sounds like a case of too much government that you voters need to address. That is the main reason for my move from the U.S.

BigRAWesty
18th February 2014, 04:36 PM
So where do you register??

macca
18th February 2014, 05:26 PM
So where do you register??

On the forum page westy

dads tractor
18th February 2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the support guys now I feel its time too have a discussion on individual points and submit with a vote and where you are from and some guide lines in everday aussie so that everyone knows the laws .

lets start with tyres : Current regs for each state ; what is sensible ;what is a compromise with what suspension height ;and how can we prove its safe ? See its getting a bit complicated already.

Gecko17
20th February 2014, 07:42 PM
IMO... If a vehicle can be modified, in a safe and functional manner, then I can't see what the problem is. Most of the problems that occur are when the engineering isn't looked at fully or complied with.

I run 35in tires on my GU patrol incorporated with a 3in lift. I have also changed diff ratios and castor correction bushes etc.

If I was to go bigger than this, then I would ensure that anything that needed to be added, removed, was. Every modification has pros and cons. As long as safety is at the forefront, I don't see how or why it is such a huge concern if the safety is there, confirmed by engineering.

warner01
21st February 2014, 02:53 AM
yea but remember its not always our cars that is the reason. eg if youve lifted your 4x4 and put big wheels on when/if your involved in a crash you will be safe but you will be driving over the other car. the point is its gota be safe for both you and the cars around you.
In saying that it would be nice to be able to run bigger tires and more lift... If i could afford it that is...... :-D

macca
21st February 2014, 04:23 AM
I have often thought about the other car situation. On the road there allways is something bigger, heavier, wider etc. My work vans have a flat front, no comparison to a Lamborghini. A mini would drive over one of them.

BigRAWesty
21st February 2014, 05:30 AM
I'd love to see 3" lift and 2" tyre diameter the minimum change.

Gecko17
21st February 2014, 10:51 AM
yea but remember its not always our cars that is the reason. eg if you've lifted your 4x4 and put big wheels on when/if your involved in a crash you will be safe but you will be driving over the other car. the point is its gotta be safe for both you and the cars around you.
In saying that it would be nice to be able to run bigger tires and more lift... If i could afford it that is...... :-D

This has always been one of the big considerations when legislation like this goes through. That and the impact (no pun intended) that vehicle modifications will have on pedestrians, eg, forward protruding bullbars as they can deflect a pedestrian under the vehicle rather than up and over the bonnet. As Warner01 has said, it has to be safe for both sides... unfortunately, this will never be the case until there is only one model of vehicle on the road. It boils down to a simple case of physics... A fully loaded, standard, larger 4wd that collides with a compact, Japanese sedan will always fare better that the latter.

As usual, there is evidence to the contrary that negates a lot of the arguments against modifications, such as when submissions are made re the fact that modded 4wds are more dangerous, in a crash, than a conventional vehicle. What about a truck v a normal car? Then there is the argument that there are more 4wds on the road now. Simply because, rightly or wrongly, they are seen to offer a greater degree of safety.

This is a subject in which I can go on and on about as I used to have to police this nonsense. There are so many arguments for and against and at the end of the day, the governing body will go with the legislation that will create the least outcry, or worse, fly in the face of all logic.

The best thing we can do, as lovers of 4wd as well as concerned motorists, is to have a collective voice on this matter. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

warner01
21st February 2014, 07:50 PM
quite right Hilghlander so squeak squeak