PDA

View Full Version : Radio problems

chrisc2306
17th February 2014, 05:48 PM
Hi guys I'm sure this has been covered a few times already but I couldn't find anything on the search. Anyway I am trying to get an aftermarket radio to work in my 1990 GQ patrol I have "T" into both the battery and acc cables beside the factory convertor on passengers side panel and ran 2 cables into my own 24v-12v converter but the problem is that when I connect it up it works but as soon as its put under load e.g. listen to the radio or plug in my phone to listen to music it just turns on and off all the time and its driving me crazy! The annoying thing is I'm an electrician and I can't get this to work! Any help would be greatly appreciated

liftlid
17th February 2014, 05:51 PM
Can the converter handle the load of the radio?

oncedisturbed
17th February 2014, 07:56 PM
Where does the 24v come into it?
Not seen 1 with a 24v step down at all, have you tried a direct power feed with fuse to see if it is the convertor?

Hodge
17th February 2014, 08:34 PM
Where does the 24v come into it?

Aren't some of the earlier GQ's natively 24V? I remember workmates GQ long ago, was 24V all around and adding accessories was a pita. Also Graham's shorty from 4wd action is 24V if i'm not mistaken? Sorry if that's not what you were asking mate. lol

chrisc2306
17th February 2014, 08:57 PM
It's a 20A converter that I am using and it is outputting 12v which it is supposed to do I just can't figure out why it won't hold it just switches on and off constantly

Winnie
17th February 2014, 09:01 PM
Aren't some of the earlier GQ's natively 24V? I remember workmates GQ long ago, was 24V all around and adding accessories was a pita. Also Graham's shorty from 4wd action is 24V if i'm not mistaken? Sorry if that's not what you were asking mate. lol

Japanese imports (Safaris) are 24V.

chrisc2306
17th February 2014, 09:06 PM
Japanese imports (Safaris) are 24V.

It's a Jap Safari that I have

tiny
17th February 2014, 09:12 PM
Put a small capacitor bank on your power wire with largest fuse rating. Some brands use acc some use constant as main supply. If your radio is a true high watt rms MOSFET unit like pioneers and alpines it could easy draw 20 amps on loud bass notes if you have large speakers(voice coils) . This will make your output clip as unit is trying to draw more than is available.. A capacitor bank will discharge and charge in nano seconds and greatly reduce load on convertor..
Hope this helps

chrisc2306
17th February 2014, 09:46 PM
Put a small capacitor bank on your power wire with largest fuse rating. Some brands use acc some use constant as main supply. If your radio is a true high watt rms MOSFET unit like pioneers and alpines it could easy draw 20 amps on loud bass notes if you have large speakers(voice coils) . This will make your output clip as unit is trying to draw more than is available.. A capacitor bank will discharge and charge in nano seconds and greatly reduce load on convertor..
Hope this helps

I'm only running 4 basic speakers off of it do you think that could draw 20A? What size of capacitor do you recommend?

tiny
17th February 2014, 10:00 PM
470uf caps x 6 parallel is plenty.. Cost you less than 10 bucks from jaycar..

chrisc2306
17th February 2014, 10:16 PM
470uf caps x 6 parallel is plenty.. Cost you less than 10 bucks from jaycar..

Awesome thanks! Do I put this on the 12V or the 24V side?

tiny
18th February 2014, 02:00 AM
On the main current draw lead on your stereo. 12 volt side...

chrisc2306
18th February 2014, 09:04 PM
Hi guys had another crack at it tonight before i ordered the capacitors and it was a success. I wired it direct to the battery giving out the 24v to ground so as not to drain one individual battery and the connected a 15A fuse in series with the 24v input before putting it through the convertor and everything worked as it should! Thanks everyone for their time and advice

GQ TANK
21st February 2014, 05:16 PM
I suspect the 24 volt supply was dropping with a load.

angelo_f
21st February 2014, 06:40 PM
Check for a bad connection somewhere. A resistive joint will drop a lot of voltage under load