PDA

View Full Version : GU with AutoHubs. Will a LOKKA be a problem?

ghagan
15th February 2014, 09:01 AM
Hi there everyone.. In days of past, I had a LockRite in the front of my GQ.. It was brilliant. Yes got a little heavier in the steering when in H4 or L4 but the traction was awesome..

I cant justify the price of a Air or E Locker at the moment.. But I do like the crawl up obstacles rather than have to smash over them option....

SO my question is,, can they be fitted to a vehicle (2009 GU ST-L) that has AutoHubs...

I see that lots of people love them, and lots hate them. Im not worried about that. Just want to know if it is an option or do I need to convert to Manual Hubs ?

Cheers..

megatexture
15th February 2014, 09:07 AM
I think 04off has a lokka brand locker you could try giving him a pm . I have also read about removing a part from your auto hub and it becomes manual only that way you can save some coin

megatexture
15th February 2014, 09:16 AM
Says he online drop him a pm
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?1532-04OFF

I'll be looking at a auto locker as I just can't justify the coin for a air or eaton locker

mudski
15th February 2014, 09:24 AM
I think 04off has a lokka brand locker you could try giving him a pm . I have also read about removing a part from your auto hub and it becomes manual only that way you can save some coin

I did that conversion on my auto hubs. Easy job to do. As for the op's question. I believe you will have issues will an auto locker. Im sure plenty of others will be able to tell you for certain though.

04OFF
15th February 2014, 10:32 AM
As I wrote in my PM.....

In a word, the Lokka is awesome, i can just cruise over stuff that I usually would need speed, this reduces the chance of damage.

They also work well in the sand.

Your auto hubs will most likely NOT work with the lokka, I have heard of people using them, but mine would try and engage when in 2wd, you can convert your auto hubs to manuals in about 5 min (this is what I did), it just means you need the wheel brace to lock them, as obviously they don't have a finger tab like factory manual hubs.

If you order a Lokka from 4wd systems, allow up to 5 weeks for it to arrive despite what they say about having them in stock , or that they are only 2 weeks away.

You can get the same thing from the USA (lock-right) and will probly arrive quicker.

Clunk
15th February 2014, 11:46 AM
if your fitting an auto locker you'll need to convert your auto hubs to manual for sure

megatexture
15th February 2014, 04:37 PM
As I wrote in my PM.....

In a word, the Lokka is awesome, i can just cruise over stuff that I usually would need speed, this reduces the chance of damage
They also work well in the sand.

Your auto hubs will most likely NOT work with the lokka, I have heard of people using them, but mine would try and engage when in 2wd, you can convert your auto hubs to manuals in about 5 min (this is what I did), it just means you need the wheel brace to lock them, as obviously they don't have a finger tab like factory manual hubs.

If you order a Lokka from 4wd systems, allow up to 5 weeks for it to arrive despite what they say about having them in stock , or that they are only 2 weeks away.

You can get the same thing from the USA (lock-right) and will probly arrive quicker.

Thought yours looked stock, at glasshouse when Matty said all us auto boys with auto hubs you didn't say yours were manual when he stopped to unlock his lol

mudski
15th February 2014, 04:45 PM
Ask BA how long he was waiting for his Lokka before he canceled his order.

Stropp
15th February 2014, 05:14 PM
check the spartan locker out, i got mine when the dollar was high but only took 10 days from the us compared to BA waiting months lol

4by
15th February 2014, 09:44 PM
X2 what 04off said.
I have the same locker and drove with auto hubs for years. Hubs were clicking when turning so I eventually removed the auto mechanism and all is good. Just have to lock the hubs with socket. No big deal....

04OFF
16th February 2014, 04:34 PM
Thought yours looked stock, at glasshouse when Matty said all us auto boys with auto hubs you didn't say yours were manual when he stopped to unlock his lol

Yeh, looks can be deceiving (lol), a great thing with a auto lokka ,you can still drive in 2wd with the hubs manually locked in, no problem, so I just unlock them when im airing up , saves getting out/stopping twice.

Anyway, all you boys with full Auto hubs, are crazy if you don't manually "lock" your auto hubs in doing glasshouse tracks, especially the tracks you drive Troy :hpfredgeorge1: (haha)

megatexture
16th February 2014, 08:48 PM
Never had any problems yet touch wood lol

Rumcajs
20th February 2014, 06:29 PM
I had to convert auto hubs to manual almost 5 mins after fitting Lokka as I couldn't stand the clicking in every corner.
Either fit manual hubs or convert auto ones to manual only.

Cheers

Nessie
7th April 2017, 11:54 AM
Hi guys, i have a wee questions regarding changing from Auto hubs to Manual.
i am not the most mechanically gifted person, is it a big job to change swap them over?
i have a 98 GU Patrol. i bought some 2nd hand manual hubs to swap them over, but just not sure as to the ins and outs.
any advice would be great!

BigRAWesty
7th April 2017, 11:13 PM
Hi guys, i have a wee questions regarding changing from Auto hubs to Manual.
i am not the most mechanically gifted person, is it a big job to change swap them over?
i have a 98 GU Patrol. i bought some 2nd hand manual hubs to swap them over, but just not sure as to the ins and outs.
any advice would be great!
6 bolts on the locking hub.
Slide off auto hubs, slide on manual hubs, do bolts up...

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

Nessie
8th April 2017, 09:12 AM
lol that easy? ill give it a go then!

thanks

in4m3
31st May 2017, 02:29 AM
As i am new to the Nissan patrol, good information.
cheers

mudski
31st May 2017, 10:14 AM
6 bolts on the locking hub.
Slide off auto hubs, slide on manual hubs, do bolts up...

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
Old post but its not just as simple as that. Going from Nissan Auto hubs to Nissan Manual hubs you will also require the egg rings and also the step ring for the inner part of the hub to run on.

BigRAWesty
31st May 2017, 10:15 AM
Old post but its not just as simple as that. Going from Nissan Auto hubs to Nissan Manual hubs you will also require the egg rings and also the step ring for the inner part of the hub to run on.
My autos have the outter egg ring in them.

the evil twin
31st May 2017, 10:28 AM
Had a Lokka in my '07 CRD for about 6 years with Auto hubs and never a problem.
Worked perfectly and behaved exactly the same as a normal open diff

It is very important that the 'float' on the axles is correct when setting up the Lokka.
If not then it can cause a few different issues.

If the Lokka and diff are set up correctly and the hubs are clicking that is 99% chance it is an issue with the hubs that should be addressed not the Lokka.
If the Lokka clicks on corners then, again, the hubs or axle float clearances are at fault not the Lokka and the reason should investigated and rectified.

With or without a Lokka you should manually lock Auto hubs for a days wheeling anyway (as per the Manual).

Having said that the mod to prevent the Auto function in the hubs is very straight forward and handy if you ever want to use low range 2WD for reversing trailers etc

mudski
31st May 2017, 10:35 AM
My autos have the outter egg ring in them.

Yes its part of the hub. So it locates the hub centre. The manuals don't have this part. Hence the need to buy the egg ring. You push the egg ring into the wheel hub and thne the locking section has something to locate on. And the step ring is used for the inner gear section to run on as its separate from the out piece of the hub. Unlike the auto's where its all held together when you remove it. Manuals are good but a pain when it comes to wheel bearing servicing as you need to remove the egg ring to get the outer race out.

BigRAWesty
31st May 2017, 10:54 AM
Yes its part of the hub. So it locates the hub centre. The manuals don't have this part. Hence the need to buy the egg ring. You push the egg ring into the wheel hub and thne the locking section has something to locate on. And the step ring is used for the inner gear section to run on as its separate from the out piece of the hub. Unlike the auto's where its all held together when you remove it. Manuals are good but a pain when it comes to wheel bearing servicing as you need to remove the egg ring to get the outer race out.
Youve lost me a bit but my minds off with the fairies atm..
My autos have a singke ring in the hub which i had to remove to do bearings.
I do remember a stepped ring on my old gq, is thats what is needed to locate manual hubs to wheel hub??

mudski
31st May 2017, 01:43 PM
Youve lost me a bit but my minds off with the fairies atm..
My autos have a singke ring in the hub which i had to remove to do bearings.
I do remember a stepped ring on my old gq, is thats what is needed to locate manual hubs to wheel hub??

Hmm. The OEM Autos I removed from mine, that ring was part of the auto hub. Like the egg ring was part of the locking hub, if you get what I mean. Yours being newer must be different maybe?
Now you got me thinking Kallen on the process of installation. I converted mine from OEM Autos to OEM style manuals not that long ago too, and you think I can remember?! But I do know you need both egg and step rings. I think it was this kit I bought...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-to-Manual-Hubs-Conversion-Kit-Nissan-GQ-GU-Y60-Y61-Patrol-complete-/172024673069?hash=item280d78332d:g:k70AAOSwdpxUUv-u

BigRAWesty
31st May 2017, 01:45 PM
Hmm. The OEM Autos I removed from mine, that ring was part of the auto hub. Like the egg ring was part of the locking hub, if you get what I mean. Yours being newer must be different maybe?
Now you got me thinking Kallen on the process of installation. I converted mine from OEM Autos to OEM style manuals not that long ago too, and you think I can remember?! But I do know you need both egg and step rings. I think it was this kit I bought...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-to-Manual-Hubs-Conversion-Kit-Nissan-GQ-GU-Y60-Y61-Patrol-complete-/172024673069?hash=item280d78332d:g:k70AAOSwdpxUUv-u
Quite possibly is because its newer??
Ill take a pic when its apart next week

mudski
31st May 2017, 01:47 PM
Quite possibly is because its newer??
Ill take a pic when its apart next week

Yeak farked if I know now. I've barely even thought about my Patrol for months. So many other things happening its been left outside and barely used.

shantillylais
13th August 2017, 11:59 PM
hey there the evil twin just because I am a little lazy atm, is there a thread on doing this auto hub mod? cheers Lana

mudski
14th August 2017, 09:09 AM
hey there the evil twin just because I am a little lazy atm, is there a thread on doing this auto hub mod? cheers Lana

Very simple. Just remove the hub and the first plate you see in the hub, lever the thing out. Done.

Rumcajs
20th August 2017, 05:35 PM

Just pry the auto clutch part out ==> see the image
one on the left removed, one on the right still in.

Really easy job, lock the hub manually first, use M10 Allen key to remove six bolts, pry the bit out, bolt the hub back on, unlock, enjoy!

To see what is inside of teh auto clutch see below

shantillylais
23rd August 2017, 12:05 AM
thanks for that, a side job when servicing the wheel bearings next :)

Hodge
24th August 2017, 01:22 PM
Super easy job. Done mine in less than 10 mins I reckon or one Coopers stubby...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72969&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72970&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72971&stc=1

mudski
24th August 2017, 01:52 PM
Super easy job. Done mine in less than 10 mins I reckon or one Coopers stubby...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72970&stc=1
You hub is missing the internal gear...

Hodge
24th August 2017, 02:06 PM
You hub is missing the internal gear...
Really ?! That's how I found it both sides.
It looks no different to the one Rumcajs posted ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

mudski
24th August 2017, 02:18 PM
Really ?! That's how I found it both sides.
It looks no different to the one Rumcajcs posted ...

Good luck with locking your hubs then. Unless the photos is deceiving. I see no internal gear in there.
The gear standing on it side I cant see in your pic.

Hodge
24th August 2017, 02:40 PM
Good luck with locking your hubs then. Unless the photos is deceiving. I see no internal gear in there.
The gear standing on it side I cant see in your pic.
I'm confused now. I can't see that gear in any of the photos showing the hub after removal of the auto bit. Even on the other forum . I'll go test the car out .

mudski
24th August 2017, 04:09 PM
I'm confused now. I can't see that gear in any of the photos showing the hub after removal of the auto bit. Even on the other forum . I'll go test the car out .

The plate with the two humps on it is on top of this gear. Right in the centre of the hub is an internal spline which sits on the axle shaft, that spins freely when unlocked, or in auto position. When you lock the hub, the gear you see in my pic is pulled down and the external spline of this gear messes with the large internal spline in the hub(can see it at about 3 o'clock in my pic) there for locking the outer to the inner section. I would say its all in yours, the pic you have just doesn't show it well.

Heres a pic of my old auto hub in the unlocked/ auto position. The entire inner part of the hub spins free until the gear is lower and locks into the hub.