PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Time

Woof
14th February 2014, 11:10 PM
Well my youngest son just informed me that he is moving out, so I am planning to take an early retirement.
Going to sell everything I own, including The Q and cruise around this great country of ours.
It will not happen until after the Convoy for SIDS & Kids in June.

Scary stuff really......................time to start planning

MudRunnerTD
14th February 2014, 11:13 PM
Awesome Doggy, if you sell the GQ what will you cruise around the country in? Do you mean Cruise as in Sail? Or landcruiser?

Good luck with your future mate, the next big journey. Retirement.

Avo
14th February 2014, 11:13 PM
OH NO.....OH YES.....Oh I don't know...
Good on ya mate,hope it all goes to plan and goes well.

jack
14th February 2014, 11:19 PM
Good on you Doggy, enjoy retirement and make the most of it.
Edit - just read your next post, in a GU now I know you'll enjoy it.

Woof
14th February 2014, 11:19 PM
Awesome Doggy, if you sell the GQ what will you cruise around the country in? Do you mean Cruise as in Sail? Or landcruiser?

Good luck with your future mate, the next big journey. Retirement.

Hate say it but I will be downgrading to a....GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGU...LOL

Woof
14th February 2014, 11:23 PM
OH NO.....OH YES.....Oh I don't know...
Good on ya mate,hope it all goes to plan and goes well.

To tell you the truth I am scared sh!tless about it Neil, but I have to do it.............got a few months yet though mate

Clunk
14th February 2014, 11:29 PM

Joining the rest of the grey nomads in their GUs hey mate......... well good on ya, your old bones need all the comfort they can get I suppose Bwahahaha

Sorry mate, you know I luvs ya really .......... truly, nice one

Stropp
14th February 2014, 11:42 PM
Good work doggy, lucky bugger! Buying a gu is a great decision if you want comfort, reliability and class :)

Woof
14th February 2014, 11:52 PM
Good work doggy, lucky bugger! Buying a gu is a great decision if you want comfort, reliability and class :)

Hey Stropp, bought a new GU in 2007 mate then I saw the light............................ UPGRADED to a GQ....hahahahaha

BigRAWesty
14th February 2014, 11:54 PM
Congrats on reaching the milestone mate. Many sadly don't.
Enjoy the years and the future ahead.
Cheers

TPC
15th February 2014, 12:01 AM
Good onya Doggy, I am green with envy.
Cant see myself retiring for at least another 15 years.

MEGOMONSTER
15th February 2014, 12:02 AM
Congrats Doggy.

Round and round he goes,
Where he stops
Nobody knows.

MudRunnerTD
15th February 2014, 12:12 AM

Hey Doggy you should yell out to Paul RLI and tell him to stop stripping his GU and buy it off him with the fruit on it........

Stropp
15th February 2014, 01:14 AM
Hey Stropp, bought a new GU in 2007 mate then I saw the light............................ UPGRADED to a GQ....hahahahaha

Is that the light between the doors and body? Lol

NissanGQ4.2
15th February 2014, 03:35 AM
Onya Wayne, must b time 2 retire if your thinking about a GU!

Good luck with it all

growler2058
15th February 2014, 03:44 AM
We'll done Dogman enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Bob
15th February 2014, 07:04 AM
Enjoy it Mate. You deserve it.

AB
15th February 2014, 07:24 AM
Well done Doggy, I am very jealous old mate but no need to stress, enjoy!!!!

happygu
15th February 2014, 07:38 AM
Wow .... one minute you are talking about it.....next minute it is about to happen......

Next minute you will actually be off....doesn't take very long to find a good GU, as you will find them all good....:hpfredgeorge1:

Mic

93patrol
15th February 2014, 07:46 AM
On ya doggy. Take time to relax and enjoy the last few months of work.

Winnie
15th February 2014, 07:47 AM
To tell you the truth I am scared sh!tless about it Neil, but I have to do it.............got a few months yet though mate

Honestly I would do the same if touring the country. That bit of extra comfort would go a long way. Good on you Doggy, hope I get the chance to do the same one day.

pearcey
15th February 2014, 07:51 AM
Retirement mate is great, but there's never enough time to do all the things you want to do. I blxxdy know.
Best of luck mate and I hope to see you on the road.

Gecko17
15th February 2014, 09:04 AM
About bloody time Doggy! Good onya mate. I hope you have an absolute ball in your reitrement. You've earned it. hope to catch up with you before you bugger off.

Woof
15th February 2014, 08:19 PM
Here is The Q, it will be sold immediately after The Convoy for SIDS & Kids in June this year.

mudnut
15th February 2014, 10:19 PM
Open the gate and Doggy is on the road again.:) Enjoy the ride Wayne, you lucky bugger. Drop in and say g'day if you get down this way.

ova50
16th February 2014, 12:16 AM
Congrats Doggy on the decision.
After the both of us retired, it's surprising how fast time seems to go, in comparison to when working.
So much so, that I have stopped wearing my watch (hoping to slow it down).
Hope it all comes together for you, and ENJOY !!!!!
:cheers:

the evil twin
16th February 2014, 12:21 AM
Here is The Q, it will be sold immediately after The Convoy for SIDS & Kids in June this year.

Nice looking rig mate... should sell for a premium given the awesomness of the owners she has had over the years.

Cuppa
16th February 2014, 06:58 AM
Just want to wish you well with your future travel plans Doggy. I can relate to the excitement & scariness rolled into one. Felt like that when we took off for 18 months. Felt much better once ‘out there’.
We might run into each other one day as we’re getting closer to being in a similar postion to you hope to be in, with our long term plan for permanent travel getting ever nearer to actually happening. Our property sale has just gone ‘unconditional’ & we move out in just over 3 weeks. We’re downsizing to a smaller easier to leave property. Going from 76 acres way out in the bush to 2 acres 5 minutes from town. We will build a shed with separate access from the house, rent out the house & use the shed as a base to return to now & again, as well as to store our stuff in. We are in the second half of our 50’s & hoping to be ‘on the road’ within about a year to 18 months. We reckon if we mainly free camp, can travel slowly, sticking to a very modest budget, & supplement it with occasional jobs & house sitting we should be able to travel for as long as our health holds out, but with the security of a home to return to if the wheels fall off. For us this security is important, but there are plenty of folk out there who ’sold up’ before hitting the road who are happy with their decision to do so. Very much a horses for courses thing. Good luck & don’t forget during those moments of fear & doubt that you will be far from alone out there, the nomad (grey or otherwise) networks are strong.

Cuppa

Woof
16th February 2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the best wishes.
I have decided to become a Podologist, been looking at they are around my price ranger, also been looking at hard floor camper trailers.
Found this one that looks OK if anyone is interested http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ridgewood/camper-trailers/off-road-ranger-camper-trailer-brand-new-/1038306820

macca86
16th February 2014, 06:38 PM
If I was to do the big loop I'd buy something like this and fit it out maybe make it able to be a pod you can drop off
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oxley/cars-vans-utes/2000-mitsubishi-canter-c6-4x4-swb-wi-fg637-green-truck-4-2l-4wd/1017569887
Hope it works out for you I'd love to just up and leave and drive pic up work around the place see everything and take my time

Cuppa
16th February 2014, 07:01 PM
Others might advise on the camper trailer, I’ve never had one. I like the look of the swing arm suspension though. Reason I’m posting is only to suggest that you talk to as many folk with traveling experience as you can before rushing into any particular set up. How you plan to travel has an enormous bearing on what sort of ‘accommodation’ will best suit. If planning to stop for reasonably long periods between moves then a camper trailer might suit, but if it were me I would quicly tire of having to put the thing up & take it down all the time. Long trips are quite different to short trips where things that are bearable over a few weeks become rather less so over many months or years.

That Canter seems well priced for such low kms. Woud make a good single person tourer. Rear duals can be converted to ’super singles’.

pearcey
16th February 2014, 07:34 PM
I`m with Cuppa. talk to as many as possible who are traveling as you want to.
I`ve done swags tents camper trailers and caravans. Recently did 3 months in Tas with a 14ft 6 inch Supreme getaway pop
van Towed it into some pretty tight places and also hard off road places with out any trouble.
Best thing about it is setup time which is about 2 mins and if not staying we don`t even unhook or put the legs down. For long stays it`s a great base camp and if we want to we can leave it and do Over night with a tent. It`s all up to your choice but the older you get the more luxuries you want(or need ) Think long and hard and the best of luck, to much to see and not enough time

Woof
16th February 2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, due to finances I will be doing this as cheap as possible as I don't have that much super.
Planning on taking 8 years to do it, then I will be eligible for the pension, so I have to make the $s last.

PMC
16th February 2014, 07:58 PM
Well my youngest son just informed me that he is moving out, so I am planning to take an early retirement.
Going to sell everything I own, including The Q and cruise around this great country of ours.
It will not happen until after the Convoy for SIDS & Kids in June.

Scary stuff really......................time to start planning

Good onya Doggy,

All the best with your pending retirement and make sure you look me up when you get up to Coffs Harbour area!

Regards,

Paul

Woof
16th February 2014, 08:12 PM
Good onya Doggy,

All the best with your pending retirement and make sure you look me up when you get up to Coffs Harbour area!

Regards,

Paul
No worries Paul, will do mate
Plan on finally meeting as many members as possible on the trip.............those that want to meet me that is..LOL

TPC
16th February 2014, 09:11 PM
I have had a camper trailer for about 12 years and it is the tent type, not hard floor and I love it.
When we are stopping for 1 night we do a basic setup and have it ready in about 20 min and when we are having a long stay we set up better and might take 1hr.
If you had a hard floor camper it would be much quicker, I often travel with a mate with a hard floor camper and he always makes a point of sitting down with beer in hand while I am still setting up.
I have thought about going for a rooftop tent but too much hassle to pack up every time you want to drive any ware but as Cuppa said, speak to lots of people and consider what type of traveling you want to do and then decide.

Woof
18th February 2014, 12:51 AM
Well it looks like the retirement is not happening yet, talked my youngest son out of moving as I thought that he was making a big mistake where he was moving too.
Bugger, the things you sacrifice for your kids....

BigRAWesty
18th February 2014, 06:22 AM
You spend your life from the day they are born protecting them mate.
But other times they have to learn their own mistakes.
This is the best advice my mum gave me when I had no1.
But I'm sure you've made the right call. Even of it has impacted your plans.

TPC
18th February 2014, 06:23 AM
Well it looks like the retirement is not happening yet, talked my youngest son out of moving as I thought that he was making a big mistake where he was moving too.
The things we do for our kids.:1087:
They always come first.

Cuppa
18th February 2014, 07:22 AM
Possibly disappointing but maybe not such a bad thing in that it gives you more time to research & to set yourself up with what you want.

Sir Roofy
18th February 2014, 10:05 AM
well it looks like the retirement is not happening yet, talked my youngest son out of moving as i thought that he was making a big mistake where he was moving too.

its not over yet mate theres the grand kids
you might end up like me with kkinder and day care duties
my daughter and her partner both work so to help them
with these out rages fees i do my bit again

Stropp
18th February 2014, 10:25 AM
good news for us over here in the west doggy, we get to see your smiling face for a bit longer :) ! also gives you more time to find a pod and get organized for the big trip.

jack
18th February 2014, 10:29 AM
Hey Doggy,
If you weren't happy with where he was moving you've done the right thing - GOOD ON YOU. Often as parents we have to put ourselves second and we know it's the right thing to do.
You'll get there one day, maybe a little later than you planned.

the ferret
18th February 2014, 10:41 AM
Onya Doggy, best of luck, enjoy it mate, freedom is just around the corner.
Cheers, Rod.

DX grunt
18th February 2014, 11:07 AM
All the best, Wayne.

If you visit up this way, there'll be no seat reclining here - I'll let you sleep in a real bed, and throw in a free shower, too. lol.

Take care.
rossco

Woof
1st March 2014, 11:26 PM
Well it is back on again, The Pup (youngest son) is moving out in 2 weeks...............going to have a talk to the owner of the business after my son moves out, if I do not get the hours I want then I am gone.

Stropp
2nd March 2014, 12:55 AM
Geez I have talked to the owner of the business where I work on a daily basis and I can't get anywhere :)

the evil twin
2nd March 2014, 05:27 PM
Geez I have talked to the owner of the business where I work on a daily basis and I can't get anywhere :)

Yeah, I know the feeling... I have to put up with the fact that I either voted for my boss and he sucks or I didn't vote for him and he sucks

Avo
2nd March 2014, 05:46 PM

try telling him to get stuffed......

Stropp
2nd March 2014, 08:29 PM
try telling him to get stuffed......

Tried that Neil but all I could see in the mirror was him telling me the same thing.

Woof
2nd March 2014, 09:01 PM
Feel for you Stropp, I have met him and he seems like a real #%^^$$$##$&*****$$##$%%^%$#@@....LOL

93patrol
2nd March 2014, 11:49 PM
Punch him Stropp that'll get his attention. Lol

Good luck doggy.