PDA

View Full Version : Fuel range GU 2010

Avo
14th February 2014, 12:21 AM
just been wondering if the new car is using to much fuel,getting close to 400km and closer to the quarter than the half,any one know what range to expect out of a 3LT GU 2010,have pm'd someone and they said they got close to 750 once but usually less than that.Does the last bit last longer than the first bit.Seems just as thirsty as my GQ 4.2lt.hopped in it today and just thought it has used a bit of fuel for the km I have done thats all.
Cheers

Clunk
14th February 2014, 12:28 AM
stop driving it like you stole it mate, that might help hahahahaha

Avo
14th February 2014, 12:32 AM
the wifes been driving it mate,just hopped in and thought SH!T,she might have to start taking the GQ to work me thinx...

Clunk
14th February 2014, 12:43 AM
do you know what size the fuel tanks are? might be best to fill her up and see what ya get out of her then

Avo
14th February 2014, 01:06 AM
yeah mate doing that now,just wanting to know to see if it's a pig on fuel or if it's the norm.

Clunk
14th February 2014, 01:11 AM
from what Ive read on here, some are good, some not so good ..... ranging from 12l/100 to 16l/100 from what I remember.

megatexture
14th February 2014, 01:14 AM
Yea I think the tank is larger 2nd half, do what I did and when empty and with the missus fil it up with the car on but not running and get her to look at the gauge and you can then work out the 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 points its handy to know when out bush touring also. I had mine written down but lost it cleaning out the car a while back.

firm351
14th February 2014, 01:40 AM
G'day Neil,

I forgot to mention I get about the same km for each of the first 3/4 of the main tank but I get a fair bit less for the last quarter. The closest I've got to empty I had the light on for 45 km and when I filled up the tank took 86 litres so I wouldn't be trying for more than about 50 kms after the light comes on.

Paul.

jack
14th February 2014, 02:01 AM
Hi WA 489,

I'm consistently averaging 12.5l/100 and that's with an automatic. I don't thrash it but don't drive drive to conserve fuel either. It seems like I get better kms from the first half of the tank (about 400km) and the second half appears to go quicker. Maybe I just keep more of an eye on it as I'm waiting to switch on the reserve.

MEGOMONSTER
14th February 2014, 07:09 AM
I'm normally getting 600-650 km per tank on 305/70R16's muddies.
Normally get about 350-380 to half tank.
Second half does seem to go quicker.

Maxhead
14th February 2014, 07:28 AM
You will get variations with different vehicles obviously so best to work out your l/100 to be sure of what you can get out of it.
My GU6 auto was pretty even through the fuel gauge(~650km main tank) but my GU8 manual gauge is very different first half to second half.(~700km to main tank)

happygu
14th February 2014, 07:55 AM
I always seem to get around 660 - 690 before the low fuel light comes on with my CRD. 95 Litre tank with approx 10 Litres left in the bottom when I fill up.

Mine averages around 13 Litres per hundred with 33 inch tyres.

Mic

kevin07
14th February 2014, 08:45 AM
just been wondering if the new car is using to much fuel,getting close to 400km and closer to the quarter than the half,any one know what range to expect out of a 3LT GU 2010,have pm'd someone and they said they got close to 750 once but usually less than that.Does the last bit last longer than the first bit.Seems just as thirsty as my GQ 4.2lt.hopped in it today and just thought it has used a bit of fuel for the km I have done thats all.
Cheers
im getting about that figure around town with my wife driving it and she is heavy footed (drives me crazy) but mine the odometer is reading 6% short ive checked this numerous times on the 5klm test areas and its always exactly reads 4.7klm so give yours a check. see if that can make you feel a bit better. tyres 275/65/17

liftlid
14th February 2014, 09:31 AM
Seems just as thirsty as my GQ 4.2lt.
Cheers

Did a trip to the cape in 2003 in my GQ 4.2 no turbo, had a GU 3 lt with us. We were within 10 lt per tank of diesel over 500km run with a similar load and no roof racks.

critta11
14th February 2014, 09:46 AM
I got max 600km out of my 3.0 gu3 with 285 75. Then I did all the nads, new maf sensor and put a 3" exhaust and I've hit 650km and the light hasn't gone on yet, close though. 80L tank
Also I get 400km out of the first half

ova50
14th February 2014, 10:07 AM
Main tank: Last Highway only trip I done, it used 79 litres for 698ks.
Local running varies but most times 580 to 600 a tank (when the low fuel light comes on)
Currently have done 680ks using both main and 2nd tank and the gauge is a little over 1/4 off empty, this included a mix of highway, local and some low range work.

Avo
14th February 2014, 10:20 AM
thanks guys,I'll be happy if I get 600km out of the main tank,was thinking after I posted this we did a bit of 4wd-ing in it aswell(forgot when question fuel range)but I have filled it up so when this empties and the transfer tank I will know,i'll do this a few times then I know where I stand on usuage.It's bloody hard not to low range for a tank down here but,only live 20km from some of the best fishing beaches in the sth wst I reckon.

I'll also get the misses to clean her MAF and check her nuts..LMAO

Cheers for the replies and hopefully I can get some good miles..i could get my GQ down to 16/100 so maybe thinking I was going to get heaps better

happygu
14th February 2014, 11:19 AM
thanks guys,I'll be happy if I get 600km out of the main tank,was thinking after I posted this we did a bit of 4wd-ing in it aswell(forgot when question fuel range)but I have filled it up so when this empties and the transfer tank I will know,i'll do this a few times then I know where I stand on usuage.It's bloody hard not to low range for a tank down here but,only live 20km from some of the best fishing beaches in the sth wst I reckon.

I'll also get the misses to clean her MAF and check her nuts..LMAO

Cheers for the replies and hopefully I can get some good miles..i could get my GQ down to 16/100 so maybe thinking I was going to get heaps better

Depending on what you have on it, you should get around 13 as the average .... my last four have all been around that, but I have had them all set up fairly similar.

No bar-work, no lift, and standard tyres will see you down between 11-12, but not much better than that.

Mic

Hodge
14th February 2014, 12:40 PM
Some of the km range figures people are throwing here makes me nervous. I'm lucky to get 700 form both tanks. That's 120L. Although I do have 33" all terrains, bull bar and steel roof rack, I was hoping for better economy. Mine is mostly city/suburban driving though (stuck on the bloody ring road). Now that I've freed the car up a bit with some NADS (drives much smoother) we'll see what that does to the economy.

Avo
14th February 2014, 01:49 PM
Some of the km range figures people are throwing here makes me nervous. I'm lucky to get 700 form both tanks. That's 120L. Although I do have 33" all terrains, bull bar and steel roof rack, I was hoping for better economy. Mine is mostly city/suburban driving though (stuck on the bloody ring road). Now that I've freed the car up a bit with some NADS (drives much smoother) we'll see what that does to the economy.

Fark no don't tell me that,so this thing is as hungry as my other.i fill up my 130lt tank on the gq and get close to 750 if I work hard on saving fuel(ie not doing 120-130 while towing)
I really thought(well I didn't think actually) that being newer would be heaps better economy...Fark
finding out about 3" exhaust and chip today or over the weekend hopefully.My mate works at the Nissan dealer down here and his mate is trading his car in with it all,he is pulling it off so I can grab them cheap of him if I please..

93patrol
14th February 2014, 02:11 PM
i have a mate with a standard 2009 gu auto and he cleans his MAF once a month and gets the best economy out of it then when he doesn't clean it regulary it uses more diesel.

Fry was saying that if his boost goes over 8PSI his economy goes down hill but i can't remember fully what he said but his is also manual

liftlid
14th February 2014, 02:14 PM

That seem a lot I can get 900 k out of 120 lt with 33 MUDs bullbar winch, loaded draws, lifted

Fry
14th February 2014, 02:20 PM
Fark no don't tell me that,so this thing is as hungry as my other.i fill up my 130lt tank on the gq and get close to 750 if I work hard on saving fuel(ie not doing 120-130 while towing)
I really thought(well I didn't think actually) that being newer would be heaps better economy...Fark
finding out about 3" exhaust and chip today or over the weekend hopefully.My mate works at the Nissan dealer down here and his mate is trading his car in with it all,he is pulling it off so I can grab them cheap of him if I please..

Last time I checked I got 12.5l/100km. I run 33" AT with rear bar and dual spare wheels and its a manual. I am yet to do a car km vers GPS km check on it tho.
No other mods to the car what so ever.

Also with regards to 93Patrols post I find that if shes sitting on around 9PSI or higher it starts sucking the juice. thats usually anything over 85-90kmph for me. I have some small leaks in my intercooler as well.

Stropp
14th February 2014, 02:27 PM

im around 17-20 per 100ks but you know the rest lol

critta11
14th February 2014, 03:20 PM
If you clean the maf sensor regularly it'll make a difference, deffinatly worth checking it with the multimeter to see if it's working correctly. Mine had done 180,000km before I luckly only busted my intercooler. I'd be checking the intake manifold/getting it cleaned if it hasn't had the egr blocked and oil catch can. Also the DEA 3" pipes on ebay are awesome and only $600!!

the evil twin
14th February 2014, 05:17 PM
Cheers

Buy a scan gauge. Easily the best "under $200" accessory you can have on a CRD Patrol.

The tell you how much fuel you used, how much you are using, fuel left etc etc

You will save $200 in fuel in 12 months easily plus never use your fuel gauge again. They also monitor boost pressure, coolant temp, engine load, Alternator etc etc etc

The only other instrument you will ever need is an EGT gauge... and maybe a tranny temp gauge if you have an auto and tow very heavy trailers.

I get 12.5 LPH averaged over 140,000 K's but my vehicle is "heavily mod'd and heavy. I clean the MAF every 20,000 K's or so but have never noticed much difference altho it probably doesn't get dirty enough to start playing up.

Avo
14th February 2014, 08:46 PM
so I will go and clean the Mrs's MAF this weekend,now to go read up where to find it...been a while..

critta11
15th February 2014, 01:30 AM
On the intake about 300mm from the air box. Easy to see.

the evil twin
15th February 2014, 11:34 PM
so I will go and clean the Mrs's MAF this weekend,now to go read up where to find it...been a while..

You will need an appropriate size security torx bit to undo the mounting screws

Avo
16th February 2014, 01:01 AM
decided to finish this tank through it then do the MAF clean and see if recognise the difference,fuel light come on at 473km,put transfer pump on run that through then clean it.

got the torx bit thanks,best thing about living opposite the workshop.

happygu
16th February 2014, 01:03 AM
i have a mate with a standard 2009 gu auto and he cleans his MAF once a month and gets the best economy out of it then when he doesn't clean it regulary it uses more diesel.

Fry was saying that if his boost goes over 8PSI his economy goes down hill but i can't remember fully what he said but his is also manual

93Patrol,

It seems a little excessive cleaning the Maf every month ..... I have never ever cleaned mine on 4 different Patrols - with heaps of k's too.

Unless he is doing heaps of k's, I think it would be more costly to clean the Maf every month, then pay for the extra fuel used

Mic

the evil twin
16th February 2014, 01:16 AM
decided to finish this tank through it then do the MAF clean and see if recognise the difference,fuel light come on at 473km,put transfer pump on run that through then clean it.

got the torx bit thanks,best thing about living opposite the workshop.

Sweet... don't forget to look into getting a Scan gauge or one of it's clones

Hodge
16th February 2014, 09:38 AM
Sweet... don't forget to look into getting a Scan gauge or one of it's clones

Hey evil, can you point us to a proper scan gauge mate. Just looking at eBay and there is various ones on there.

Fry
16th February 2014, 11:51 AM
http://scangauge.com.au/?page_id=556

critta11
16th February 2014, 04:43 PM
93Patrol,

It seems a little excessive cleaning the Maf every month ..... I have never ever cleaned mine on 4 different Patrols - with heaps of k's too.

Unless he is doing heaps of k's, I think it would be more costly to clean the Maf every month, then pay for the extra fuel used

Mic

If your living on dirt roads as I do or do a lot of off-road driving it's recommended to clean the maff every service. It's a very easy thing to do and only takes 5mins.

Hodge
16th February 2014, 05:31 PM
http://scangauge.com.au/?page_id=556

Thanks for that mate. Scangauge ordered.

Maxhead
16th February 2014, 05:59 PM
If your living on dirt roads as I do or do a lot of off-road driving it's recommended to clean the maff every service. It's a very easy thing to do and only takes 5mins.
I thought these sensors are self cleaning where (after switch off or on switch on) they glow red hot to burn off any crap on the wire...I could be wrong but I suppose its still a good idea to clean them every now and again to make sure. Mine is 2 years old and never cleaned...LOL maybe I should give it a quick spray.

critta11
16th February 2014, 06:55 PM
I thought these sensors are self cleaning where (after switch off or on switch on) they glow red hot to burn off any crap on the wire...I could be wrong but I suppose its still a good idea to clean them every now and again to make sure. Mine is 2 years old and never cleaned...LOL maybe I should give it a quick spray.
They could but I haven't heard of that. If you don't have a catch can you'll be surprised with the amount of oil and gunk on them even when they look clean. Use CO contact cleaner that leaves no residue or a maff sensor cleaner and spray it over a White cloth till it runs clear. Mine hadn't been cleaned for it's lifetime (180,000) and was working fine (what I thought was fine) till it stopped functioning properly and car was driving like sh!#. Cleaned it but it was past that. Bought a new one and drove like new! So if you clean them regularly I assume they won't burn out.
Also I've heard you should unhook the battery for around 10mins to reset the computer but I'm not sure how much that changes things.

happygu
16th February 2014, 07:11 PM

Thanks Critta,

I didn't know that, and haven't seen that in the service book.

Mine gets done by Nissan, and I wonder if Nissan actually do that at the service.....:gossip:

Mic

Hodge
16th February 2014, 07:20 PM

I doubt it. They don't have enough volts running through them to do that. I bought a new one from mudski a while back and replaced my old one which was pretty dirty. Pretty sure I posted a photo of the compared pair somewhere on here. New one I've cleaned every oil change. If you spray it above a clean white paper, you will see how much s*** comes out of it. I think even a tiny coat of crap over the sensor can affect the voltages send to the ECU, which in turn could affect your performance.

Maxhead
16th February 2014, 07:40 PM
I doubt it. They don't have enough volts running through them to do that.

It would be the higher current which would make the wire red hot.
From a quick bit of research it looks like all hot wire MAF sensors have this "burn-off" function whey they heat( up to1000c) to burn off any crap on the wire. I suppose if they didn't have this function there would be a lot of cars playing up..LOL

Hodge
16th February 2014, 07:44 PM
Good point mate. Low volts, high current. I should bloody know, play with electricity daily at work. LOL
Maybe these MAFs do have it too then, who bloody knows.

Maxhead
16th February 2014, 07:47 PM
Good point mate. Low volts, high current. I should bloody know, play with electricity daily at work. LOL
Maybe these MAFs do have it too then, who bloody knows.

Yeah, maybe someone in the know can clarify...but still can't beat the occasional contact cleaner spray...LOL

Apparently this is controlled by the MAF burn-off relay which can be heard after you switch the car off....hmm now I know what those clicks are after switch off:)

Hodge
16th February 2014, 07:56 PM
Yeah, maybe someone in the know can clarify...but still can't beat the occasional contact cleaner spray...LOL

Apparently this is controlled by the MAF burn-off relay which can be heard after you switch the car off....hmm now I know what those clicks are after switch off:)

You are onto something there mate. Everytime I car shuts off, there is a small, almost like a suction noise, followed by a click. I always assumed it was to do with the alarm or the immobilizer or something kicking in.

critta11
16th February 2014, 08:14 PM
You are onto something there mate. Everytime I car shuts off, there is a small, almost like a suction noise, followed by a click. I always assumed it was to do with the alarm or the immobilizer or something kicking in.

It may be that but the butterfly valve that cuts off the intake when the engine it turned off makes a suction/click noise and you can see it happen at the back of the block under the intercooler. Does make sense that the maff would burn off though.

critta11
16th February 2014, 08:23 PM
I do wonder why my maf sensor just crapped itself one day, maybe had too much gunk on it and couldn't cope or maybe just burnt itself out?

the evil twin
16th February 2014, 09:43 PM

I've never heard of nor can I find any reference to a "MAF burn off Relay" in the factory manuals.

Any idea on where it is located or a reference to it? Not saying it doesn't exist just saying I've never come across one in my delving into the intricacies of CRD's

That suction noise is more likely what Critta is talking about I think

AFAIK there a are two sensors in the MAF package. A mass sensor and an air temp sensor. A failure of either will cause issues

Maxhead
16th February 2014, 10:26 PM
I've never heard of nor can I find any reference to a "MAF burn off Relay" in the factory manuals.

Any idea on where it is located or a reference to it? Not saying it doesn't exist just saying I've never come across one in my delving into the intricacies of CRD's

That suction noise is more likely what Critta is talking about I think

AFAIK there a are two sensors in the MAF package. A mass sensor and an air temp sensor. A failure of either will cause issues

I'm just using a general term which I found while researching MAF sensor burn off function which is a part of most hot wire MAFS(heaps of info on the net). I'm not sure if the Patrol has this function or not but it would make sense to have it, but then again we're talking Nissan here...LOL

I'm sure I read it on the forum somewhere that's why I mentioned it and I definitely can hear a couple of relay clicks when I switch mine off...Might pull the MAF out and test it to see if it glows red after switch off.

critta11
16th February 2014, 10:32 PM
I'm just using a general term which I found while researching MAF sensor burn off function which is a part of most hot wire MAFS(heaps of info on the net). I'm not sure if the Patrol has this function or not but it would make sense to have it, but then again we're talking Nissan here...LOL

I'm sure I read it on the forum somewhere that's why I mentioned it and I definitely can hear a couple of relay clicks when I switch mine off...Might pull the MAF out and test it to see if it glows red after switch off.

Not sure it would be a good Idea to have the car running with the maf seņor out. Also you can test the maf with a multimeter. Youl have to double check the numbers but from left to right the wires should read
1.5-2 v
0v
6v
Whatever your battery voltage is. 12-13v
Like I said that's what I can remember so I may be a bit off but I'm pretty sure it's the first wire that will tell you if the sensor is playing up. Mine was 1v

Maxhead
16th February 2014, 10:35 PM
Not sure it would be a good Idea to have the car running with the maf seņor out. Also you can test the maf with a multimeter. Youl have to double check the numbers but from left to right the wires should read
1.5-2 v
0v
6v
Like I said that's what I can remember so I may be a bit off but I'm pretty sure it's the first wire that will tell you if the sensor is playing up. Mine was 1v

Ammm, there is nothing wrong with my MAF ,,LOL

TPC
16th February 2014, 11:03 PM
It would be the higher current which would make the wire red hot.
From a quick bit of research it looks like all hot wire MAF sensors have this "burn-off" function whey they heat( up to1000c) to burn off any crap on the wire. I suppose if they didn't have this function there would be a lot of cars playing up..LOL
For the current to increase you need to increase the voltage, current = voltage/resistance and the resistance of the MAF is going to be a constant so the voltage has to increase to increase the current. They could do this but I would not have thought so but will read up to see.
My fuel economy varies considerably, if I am driving it and not towing I get between 11 & 12 l/100km. the wife usually drives it to and from work which is only 5km from home and she gets around 15l/100km. Have tried to teach her how to drive properly to get better economy but that did not end well.

the evil twin
17th February 2014, 12:37 AM
1.5-2 v
0v
6v

IIRC the low reading is the Air flow sensor the higher reading is the Air temp sensor (could be the other way around tho)

Maxhead
17th February 2014, 07:01 AM
For the current to increase you need to increase the voltage, current = voltage/resistance and the resistance of the MAF is going to be a constant so the voltage has to increase to increase the current. They could do this but I would not have thought so but will read up to see.l.

Yes, I didn't go into detail of simple circuitry needed to achieve this but as most other vehicles do this i was thinking the Troll might as well. It would be interesting to find out.

Hodge
17th February 2014, 10:10 AM
Yendor is the elec guru here I believe. Maybe he knows about it.

Maxhead
17th February 2014, 12:29 PM
Yendor is the elec guru here I believe. Maybe he knows about it.

Yeah, I've sent him a PM this morning to see what he reckons...either way no biggie

Maxhead
17th February 2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I've sent him a PM this morning to see what he reckons...either way no biggie

Just got a reply from Rodney and he dosn't think this function exists on the Patrols...which is typical Nissan...LOL I suppose they are cheap:)

Avo
20th February 2014, 12:48 AM
so I have ended up with 658km when the fuel light came on,it's on 700 and something apparently,120lt me thinx it's a little thirsty,and then it's also did about 60knm in low range(but I still expected better).So now I know I can clean the Maf and get a catch can and egr plate for now.

Stropp
20th February 2014, 01:41 AM
Yep I'm around 700 k's for 148 ltr tank but not sure how much is left in the tank when the light comes on I will have to check how much goes in next time.

oddkid82
20th February 2014, 10:19 AM
I usually get 900klm out of my 120 lt tank. I think I get about 12.5lt per 100. I also have it pretty loaded as it my work car.

MEGOMONSTER
20th February 2014, 08:26 PM
I usually get 900klm out of my 120 lt tank. I think I get about 12.5lt per 100. I also have it pretty loaded as it my work car.

Those k's and Ltrs is 13.33L/100

MEGOMONSTER
20th February 2014, 08:28 PM
Yep I'm around 700 k's for 148 ltr tank but not sure how much is left in the tank when the light comes on I will have to check how much goes in next time.

Wow that's 21 plus litres per hundred.

Warwick89
20th February 2014, 09:41 PM
I've been getting around 16.5-18.5ltrs per 100km. I've got 2" lift, rear bar, steel bullbar, steel roof rack, draws, second battery, 12000 lbs winch with steel cable and 33" bighorns

Edit: should mention I've got a steinbauer chip and manta 3" exhaust

oddkid82
20th February 2014, 10:50 PM
Those k's and Ltrs is 13.33L/100

That makes does make sense I never put in 120lt of when I fill up I usually have about 5 to 10lt left in the tank which will make it at 12L/100 kms.

I am still pretty happy with that,

Avo
20th February 2014, 11:05 PM
Wow that's 21 plus litres per hundred.

that's probably good if you seen the way he drives.

Clunk
20th February 2014, 11:12 PM
that's probably good if you seen the way he drives.

Foot to the floor screaming around in 1st gear lol

Avo
21st February 2014, 12:28 AM
figured out I'm getting 16.5 lt per 100km,going to try a few things we'll see how long it lasts.clean a few things measure again.then try and drive so rpm doesn't go much more than 2500rpm,also trying to drive around at 100km/h

happygu
21st February 2014, 12:56 AM
figured out I'm getting 16.5 lt per 100km,going to try a few things we'll see how long it lasts.clean a few things measure again.then try and drive so rpm doesn't go much more than 2500rpm,also trying to drive around at 100km/h

I just drive mine normally without worrying too much about revs, and I am in the 13 - 13.5 range.

I keep the tyres around 38 Psi, and always fill up with BP Diesel.

MIc

Stropp
21st February 2014, 02:11 AM
I just drive normally to :icon_driving: :driving2:

ova50
21st February 2014, 01:08 PM
Was having a look at my past fuel records. Most of which are highway figures.
Towing a 16ft poptop caravan: 16.46 to 18.51 L/100
Not towing: 11.61 to 13.69 L/100.
I drive quite easy.
:cheers:

Edit:( my trip meter is very close to what the Gps reads)

BigRAWesty
21st February 2014, 01:23 PM
Wow these are quite high..
I'm getting 14.5 out of my na brick. That's combined highway and town..

Avo
21st February 2014, 01:51 PM
Wow these are quite high..
I'm getting 14.5 out of my na brick. That's combined highway and town..

your telling me mate,thought it would be a lot better to be honest..i got 16/100 on me Q last trip up north loaded with roofracks and campertrailer in tow.

we drive mainly open roads but heaps of hills and slow corners,so it's not get up to speed and hold it either..IT HAS TO GET BETTER....

BigRAWesty
21st February 2014, 02:11 PM
Has it been tuned for power at the expense of Fuel??

Avo
21st February 2014, 09:03 PM
Dunno.....ex dept of transport mate,airbag suspension,bar work side steps,and FAT tyres..

kevin07
21st February 2014, 09:25 PM
Has it been tuned for power at the expense of Fuel??

nothing to tune unless you chip it then tune the chip

kevin07
21st February 2014, 09:28 PM
your telling me mate,thought it would be a lot better to be honest..i got 16/100 on me Q last trip up north loaded with roofracks and campertrailer in
we drive mainly open roads but heaps of hills and slow corners,so it's not get up to speed and hold it either..IT HAS TO GET BETTER....

16 loaded that's pretty good

Avo
21st February 2014, 09:53 PM
16 loaded that's pretty good

and it pulls like a 15 yr with a good mag and no one home....

enough stuff in it to camp out bush for weeks,worst I ever get is 20/100 and that's driving at 110-130 towing,got done to..30 km over cause I had a trailer..never knew that until then either

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 07:42 PM
Buy a scan gauge. Easily the best "under $200" accessory you can have on a CRD.

I went into the ute shed up in midland today and he said that the scngauge II won't fit my 2010 GU CRD, even showed me that the plug wouldn't fit? I just found something on scangauge website that says some nissans need extra pins added. Anyone know what the go is?

Dazzalco
28th February 2014, 07:47 PM
I went into the ute shed up in midland today and he said that the scngauge II won't fit my 2010 GU CRD, even showed me that the plug wouldn't fit? I just found something on scangauge website that says some nissans need extra pins added. Anyone know what the go is?

Don't know about 2010 model but I bought one for my 2013 model and fitted fine. I am pretty sure as long as it has a OBD2 connector it should work mine work very well and have no complaints about it. Did you try to hook it up

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 08:08 PM
Don't know about 2010 model but I bought one for my 2013 model and fitted fine. I am pretty sure as long as it has a OBD2 connector it should work mine work very well and have no complaints about it. Did you try to hook it up

Tried hooking up one of his dummy connectors to see if it would fit but a couple of pins were different.

I'll attach a photo of my connector.

Fry
28th February 2014, 08:19 PM
All common rails should be fine. They connect to the port under the steering wheel.

http://scangauge.com.au/compatibility-nissan/

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 08:23 PM
All common rails should be fine. They connect to the port under the steering wheel.

http://scangauge.com.au/compatibility-nissan/

That's what I thought that's why I went out to get one but his dummy connector didn't fit because of the pin locations (see my photo of mine above).
That's the scangauge page I was talking about at the bottom I did see "Some Nissan vehicles require the ScanGauge PIDS setting to be set to SUPPORTED to connect to the vehicle", does anyone know what that means?
I'm thinking my pins are in the wrong spot.

Edit: don't worry I now know what pods means lol.

My patrol is a 2010 ZD30 (ddti) st GU7

Fry
28th February 2014, 08:31 PM
Looks the same as my connector.

Can't upload photo ATM.....

You could try a cheap Bluetooth connector and use a phone app.

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 08:38 PM
Looks the same as my connector.

Can't upload photo ATM.....

You could try a cheap Bluetooth connector and use a phone app.

Do the pin locations match yours also?
Thanks for your help too it's appreciated mate.

Fry
28th February 2014, 08:39 PM
Yup the same.

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 08:46 PM
Hmm strange that his connector wouldn't fit then. Not sure what to do. If I don't buy it in the morning before I leave I'm not going to get another chance before I get to cairns but I don't want to spend the $220 if it's not going to fit

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 08:52 PM
Does anyone else have photos of both car and scan gauge connections?

Thanks in advance Warwick

Fry
28th February 2014, 08:55 PM
Not sure mate. Does his scangauge look like the ones from the web site?

Trying to upload some photos for you.

Fry
28th February 2014, 09:05 PM
The other thing is mate that the scangauge2 connector has different pin outs to the car connector

Warwick89
28th February 2014, 09:33 PM
Not sure mate. Does his scangauge look like the ones from the web site?

Trying to upload some photos for you.

Sorry for being so naive but what do you mean by that

Fry
28th February 2014, 11:44 PM
Just wondering if its actually a scangauge2 because it should fit.

This is my trucks OBDII connector and the scangauge2. While I have a 2008 GU it should work with all Common Rails as per the compatibility.

notice some of the pins are different but it doesn't matter.

Warwick89
1st March 2014, 12:02 AM
Just wondering if its actually a scangauge2 because it should fit.

This is my trucks OBDII connector and the scangauge2. While I have a 2008 GU it should work with all Common Rails as per the compatibility.

notice some of the pins are different but it doesn't matter.

Yep everything looks the same ill head back in tomorrow morning and have a look and ask to try plugging it in myself again

kevin07
1st March 2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks Critta,

I didn't know that, and haven't seen that in the service book.

Mine gets done by Nissan, and I wonder if Nissan actually do that at the service.....:gossip:

Mic

not a chance in the world

apalsson
2nd March 2014, 04:03 AM

I remember after I put a rack on my old one, I fuel consumption went up noticeably

Jamiepatrol
2nd March 2014, 01:11 PM
I remember after I put a rack on my old one, I fuel consumption went up noticeably

With me believe it or not it was the snorkel. Once it was on, i lost about 10% of economy. I have an issue with my secondary tank at the moment so only have the maoin tank to play with which is annoying.

Barrbeast
8th March 2014, 01:09 AM
Bloody hell! Best I've managed is around 25mpg (~11-12l/100km) with winch and bullbar on a mixed town/single track roads/motorway run including some offroad time checking livestock :frown: Clearly I will have to do better!

I saw one of the earlier posts talked about range once the light goes on - I've got a 95l tank and my light goes on with 15l to go, I have managed 90km on that with I think around 6l left in the tank.

Lights currently on just now and I've done 75km (will be filling up before I drive home tonight!)

Avo
5th April 2014, 02:04 AM
Just managed our first test without using 4wd,i figured I am getting 14.7lt per 100km.got 870km on 128lt of fuel..Took 2 months of driving to get one tank with just road Km's..Got to love it when I'm this close to wicked beaches and bush fishing spots.

Clunk
5th April 2014, 02:25 AM
Just managed our first test without using 4wd,i figured I am getting 14.7lt per 100km.got 870km on 128lt of fuel..Took 2 months of driving to get one tank with just road Km's..Got to love it when I'm this close to wicked beaches and bush fishing spots.

well thats a bit better hey.......... I've done 520kms so far and used approx 1/2 tank (145 lt tank), which I believe is roughly around 13.9L/100...... thats just town driving and a bit off offroad fun the other weekend

timbar
5th April 2014, 03:13 AM
im still runnin 30/100km :(

Avo
5th April 2014, 12:33 PM
im still runnin 30/100km :(

How do you manage that?

happygu
5th April 2014, 01:21 PM
How do you manage that?

With his right foot ....:tease:

Coldcomfort
5th April 2014, 04:55 PM
I just did the numbers on my 2012 GU ST. Around town mostly with the AC on. I am getting 11.3 liters per 100klms. Not bad for a 3 ton lump. I am heading up to Barkly Homestaed tomorrow so I will do the numbers for the hiway at 110kph.

Chubba
5th April 2014, 08:21 PM
My two cents
4.5L petrol on gas, 90L useable gas 20.8L/100km, 38-40L PETROL(sub tank) 15.9L/100km

Covo71
1st June 2014, 08:39 AM
Just did a couple of highway stints, around 400km. Bull bar and rack on top with swag used 10.8l per 100, no off road in that. Pretty happy

threedogs
1st June 2014, 08:45 AM
Just did a couple of highway stints, around 400km. Bull bar and rack on top with swag used 10.8l per 100, no off road in that. Pretty happy

what motor and tyre size do you have and what speed were you sitting on please ???

barnelly
1st June 2014, 12:14 PM
Hi All,
First log for some time so I thought I would let you all know how the GU went.
We just completed a trip to Innaminka via Broken Hill and Bourke, all up 5700 klm.
We averaged 14.9 /100 towing the camper, our best was 13.8 on the highway to Mildura.
It appears that the first half of the tank gives around 450 klm and the second half 350 approx.
Fuel @ Innaminka was $2.10 !!!!!!!!!
what a great trip it was, the Patrol is a ripper.
Chuck

Covo71
1st June 2014, 02:20 PM
2003 III 3lt, sitting on 110 to 120. EGR plate, Dawes and needle valve done. Catchcan to go in next week.

Mudcrab
7th July 2014, 07:50 PM
Have been monitoring consumption for about 18 months now on 2010 Gu 3 ltr auto. Have been consistently getting under 12. Usually 11.6 to 11.8. The good news is that on a recent trip to the Kimberley over 8000 km pulling a 1.5 tonne Camper I averaged 13.48 which was way under what I expected.

Mudcrab
7th July 2014, 07:59 PM
Should add that I generally sat on 90 kph and kept revs under 2000. This included the Gibb River Road with severe corrugating (down to 20 kph in some places) and many river crossings. I thought the consumption was exceptional and the Patrol did not miss a beat. Temp gge did not move and apart from two blowouts (both back left, which I am told is not uncommon) the Patrol tonked along with ease - very happy with it. Now busy detailing it to get out the red dust,

apalsson
8th July 2014, 05:26 AM
My 2009 CRD is typically at over 13L/100Km and when I tow my 1500Kg offroad van, I'm seeing around 18L/100Km
I don't think these are normal consumption figures. They are a fair bit higher than my previous two Patrols.
What is the most likely cause?

Smoothrun
14th July 2014, 09:02 AM
I know its new but im gettin 12.6 ltrs in my 2014. Id do a check in your kilometre average and confirm your figures, when was it last tuned up, thats not right but i cant say too much as there are many factors to consider, weight, terrain, mods, theft even, type of fuel etc etc etc,

threedogs
14th July 2014, 09:45 AM
My 2009 CRD is typically at over 13L/100Km and when I tow my 1500Kg offroad van, I'm seeing around 18L/100Km
I don't think these are normal consumption figures. They are a fair bit higher than my previous two Patrols.
What is the most likely cause?

what tyre pressures do you run in your camper 18/100 seems way too high.
I would think 15/100 would be more like it