PDA

View Full Version : 35 Inch Mud Tires

LachDiggityDog
13th February 2014, 11:19 AM
Hi all

I'll be in the market for some new tires soon and I've been leaning towards BF Goodrich KM2's. Was just wondering your guys opinions on these and what type of tires you all run?

Thanks Lachy.

MEGOMONSTER
13th February 2014, 11:27 AM
Hi all

I'll be in the market for some new tires soon and I've been leaning towards BF Goodrich KM2's. Was just wondering your guys opinions on these and what type of tires you all run?

Thanks Lachy.

I bought a set of KM2 last year and I'm very impressed with them do far.
Best of all they ain't that loud of a tyre on the road. But they are mud tyres.

nissannewby
13th February 2014, 11:51 AM
@#$%ing awesome tyre mate. Im approaching 90,000km on my KM2's. Had them out at glasshouse last weekend and they still work pretty well even with those sort km's on them. I try to rotate them every service, they are exceptionally good at retaining pressure, mine have only been balance twice in their lifetime. Overall they are an excellent all round tyre for a mud terrain, even there handling on the black stuff is great.

MEGOMONSTER
13th February 2014, 12:04 PM
@#$%ing awesome tyre mate. Im approaching 90,000km on my KM2's. Had them out at glasshouse last weekend and they still work pretty well even with those sort km's on them. I try to rotate them every service, they are exceptionally good at retaining pressure, mine have only been balance twice in their lifetime. Overall they are an excellent all round tyre for a mud terrain, even there handling on the black stuff is great.

I got mine on your recommendation.
Thanks Matt.

lhurley
13th February 2014, 02:24 PM
Another vote for KM2s.

Bush Ranger
13th February 2014, 03:03 PM
33`` KM2s here. I have had them for around 40,000 Ks and are nearly to their half way mark. I`ll buy them again. Not bad on the road and great in the mud. If you are going 35s, there is a spacer that fit on the end of the front radius arms to push the front diff forward to help accommodate larger tyres. Try this link, might help you more.
http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/15mm-Radius-Arm-Spacer-Washer-Kit---Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU.html

LachDiggityDog
13th February 2014, 04:42 PM
How about Mickey Thompson or Maxxis?

happygu
13th February 2014, 04:54 PM
I am happy with the KM2's and I had MTZ's before.....

Probably not getting as good mileage as the other guys, lost part of a tread block, and have various cuts and bruises, but if you had seen the trips I have done - you would be impressed

Mic

Mud Gecko
13th February 2014, 05:17 PM
+ whatever we're up to. IMO best all round tyre on the market, doesn't do anything great but does everything well. For a muddy, the grip they have on wet roads still impresses me.

nissannewby
13th February 2014, 06:45 PM
How about Mickey Thompson or Maxxis?

Mickey Thompson- good off-road tyre, not so good for mileage and bitumen.
Maxxis- ok all round tyre, radial treps would be best but again mileage isn't great.

I have has centipedes and they were great off-road but that's all you would use them for as they are a very aggressive tyre.

Ben-e-boy
13th February 2014, 06:49 PM
I have been running radial maxxis trepadores for a long time. Drove on the even before I bought a patrol. Even in radial form they grip really well, they are directional so at times they can slide sideways which can pucker the old sphincter, it is a shame they dont make stickies in 35s otherwise I would just get them and be done with it

growler2058
13th February 2014, 06:52 PM
Have Mickey T MTZ on my GQ they are wearing very well much better than expected. They've done some good hard blacktop miles and are fine. Just starting to get noisyish. I rotate them approx. every 5k. On wifeys Prado they've worn very fast and are very noisy. Would I buy them again......YUP but next time Im thinking of giving the KM2's a crack but thatll be some ways off yet

nissannewby
13th February 2014, 06:55 PM
I have been running radial maxxis trepadores for a long time. Drove on the even before I bought a patrol. Even in radial form they grip really well, they are directional so at times they can slide sideways which can pucker the old sphincter, it is a shame they dont make stickies in 35s otherwise I would just get them and be done with it

How many k's do you think the treps have done?

Ben-e-boy
13th February 2014, 07:04 PM
How many k's do you think the treps have done?

Maybe 20k, as you know they dont touch the blacktop for any extentded amount of time

happygu
13th February 2014, 07:23 PM
Have Mickey T MTZ on my GQ they are wearing very well much better than expected. They've done some good hard blacktop miles and are fine. Just starting to get noisyish. I rotate them approx. every 5k. On wifeys Prado they've worn very fast and are very noisy. Would I buy them again......YUP but next time Im thinking of giving the KM2's a crack but thatll be some ways off yet

That was my only complaint with the MTZ's......they were terribly noisy, and much noisier than the Baja Claws

Mic

Dales300exc
13th February 2014, 08:39 PM
My mtzs are noisy as anything. With the window open at 100 the noise is almost unbearable. About half worn at 30k.

liftlid
13th February 2014, 08:52 PM
One of the KM2's I have has split at the join in the rubber inside the tyre, found out when the tyre came off to repair another puncture I now need to check the other 5 tyres. Bugger

nissannewby
13th February 2014, 08:53 PM
One of the KM2's I have has split at the join in the rubber inside the tyre, found out when the tyre came off to repair another puncture I now need to check the other 5 tyres. Bugger

Have you driven at higher speeds with lower pressures or anything like that?

liftlid
14th February 2014, 07:14 AM
Have you driven at higher speeds with lower pressures or anything like that?

What do you call lower pressures?

nissannewby
14th February 2014, 08:38 AM
20psi or there abouts even lower. Was just a thought if you have been out playing then hit the black stuff to get to a servo to air up, extended periods with low tyre pressures and higher speeds on roads can cause what you have described.
It could also just be a manufacturing fault.

liftlid
14th February 2014, 02:42 PM
Na these are my touring tyres 30 is about the lowest it had been to until it went flat, Got to check the rest as my tyre bloke mentioned it was not uncommon for them to do that.

liftlid
14th February 2014, 03:16 PM
Ok just checked inside the second BFG I had with a puncture and did not find a split. But here's one for hot debate.... Both of these tyres got staked side walls in the Simpson, the holes are approx 50 mm from the join in the tyre on the back of the tread face. Interesting coincidence?