PDA

View Full Version : Power antenna with aftermarket head unit.

firm351
12th February 2014, 11:13 PM
G'day folks,

I'm looking at taking out the POS factory head unit and replacing it with a single din head unit and a single din UHF radio.

I was in the car stereo joint today and the guy there reckons that the power antenna will no longer work as it does now, he reckons it will only go to the full mast position and won't be able to go to the half mast position.

Im not sure if he knows what he's on about or not.

Can anybody with an aftermarket head unit let me know if their antenna still works as it originally did?

Cheers, Paul.

oncedisturbed
12th February 2014, 11:23 PM
Rubbish, I don't think the guy knows. You will need an adapter from the OEM 2 plug to a single. Done it with mine and the power aerial works fine.

firm351
12th February 2014, 11:32 PM
Rubbish, I don't think the guy knows. You will need an adapter from the OEM 2 plug to a single. Done it with mine and the power aerial works fine.

Cheers mate that's what I thought. I can't figure out how it wouldn't work. Don't think I will be buying anything off that shop.

the evil twin
13th February 2014, 01:50 AM
Bullshit... Lost count of the number of vehicles that I have done that too including my latest baby on the weekend and the power antenna works same as factory.

Aerpro make an Iso to Patrol harness altho depending on model and age you may need a diversity adapter harness for the antenna only because the plug is different.

The adapter harness cost about $15 from supercrap, repco, alberts or wherever. Worst case is you may need a second harnes to go from Head Unit to Iso depending on manuf so that is another $15 or so for a "plug and play" solution

firm351
13th February 2014, 02:06 AM
Bullshit... Lost count of the number of vehicles that I have done that too including my latest baby on the weekend and the power antenna works same as factory.

Aerpro make an Iso to Patrol harness altho depending on model and age you may need a diversity adapter harness for the antenna only because the plug is different.

The adapter harness cost about $15 from supercrap, repco, alberts or wherever. Worst case is you may need a second harnes to go from Head Unit to Iso depending on manuf so that is another $15 or so for a "plug and play" solution

Thanks mate, when old mate told me about the antenna I thought that can't be right then I asked him about iso adapters and he didn't seem to know bugger all about them that's when I realized he knew bugger all about what he was selling.

Go to a proper car audio shop you expect to see someone that has a bit of a clue.

Yendor
14th February 2014, 07:52 PM
The head unit has nothing to do with the half mast function. This is controlled by the aerial switch in the dash and the electric aerial motor.

As long as your head unit has the aerial output it will work fine.

nickpeacock36
14th February 2014, 08:05 PM
Mine kind of works. It now goes up even if im listening to a cd or bluetooth. Anyone know how to stop this?

mudski
14th February 2014, 08:22 PM
Don't know why yours does this but you can put in a switch to cut the power to the antenna and then it will go down when you hit the switch. I had to do this to mine with the last head unit as when out in the bush I would have the radio off and when I would select reverse the radio would switch on for the camera and the antenna would come up. My new head unit this does not happen and the screen only turns on when I select reverse.

firm351
14th February 2014, 08:27 PM
The head unit has nothing to do with the half mast function. This is controlled by the aerial switch in the dash and the electric aerial motor.

As long as your head unit has the aerial output it will work fine.

Cool, thanks for that mate thats how I thought it would work but old mate at the stereo shop threw me off when he told me it would no work.

It gives me the sh!ts when the people in the specialized shops still don't know what they're talking about.

Yendor
14th February 2014, 08:30 PM
Mine kind of works. It now goes up even if im listening to a cd or bluetooth. Anyone know how to stop this?

It sounds like a problem with the head unit.

the evil twin
15th February 2014, 11:47 PM
Cool, thanks for that mate thats how I thought it would work but old mate at the stereo shop threw me off when he told me it would no work.

It gives me the sh!ts when the people in the specialized shops still don't know what they're talking about.

Too right mate...

I keep getting the part numbers mixed up for Aerpro so won't mention them here but...

The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1985 onwards" fits the MQ's, early GU wagons and all GU Utes until 2000 something. It has one plug on the Nissan end
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1995 onwards" fits all Wagons and most late model Utes depending on the factory options and for some reason a few earlier than '95 wagons. It has two plugs on the Nissan end.
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol Diversity Antenna Adapter" is needed for any Wagons (don't know about Utes) with the dual antennas (mast in the guard and copper in teh rear LH window). The other alternative is to find the junction in the pax footwell and disconnect the mast antenna there and run it to your new head unit.

If you don't have a diversity antenna system then the antenna lead will plug straight in to your head unit.

If you have a proprietary head unit Aerpro make adapters for "Head Unit to Iso" that will then plug into your "Patrol to Iso"

Max cost if you need all three adapters (which you usually don't) is less than $40

You may need to connect the "adapter cable" earth to the vehicle earth. Just check if teh black wires line up in the plugs. If they don't you need the extra earth.

firm351
16th February 2014, 02:49 AM
Too right mate...

I keep getting the part numbers mixed up for Aerpro so won't mention them here but...

The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1985 onwards" fits the MQ's, early GU wagons and all GU Utes until 2000 something. It has one plug on the Nissan end
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol to Iso adapter 1995 onwards" fits all Wagons and most late model Utes depending on the factory options and for some reason a few earlier than '95 wagons. It has two plugs on the Nissan end.
The Aerpro "Nissan Patrol Diversity Antenna Adapter" is needed for any Wagons (don't know about Utes) with the dual antennas (mast in the guard and copper in teh rear LH window). The other alternative is to find the junction in the pax footwell and disconnect the mast antenna there and run it to your new head unit.

If you don't have a diversity antenna system then the antenna lead will plug straight in to your head unit.

If you have a proprietary head unit Aerpro make adapters for "Head Unit to Iso" that will then plug into your "Patrol to Iso"

Max cost if you need all three adapters (which you usually don't) is less than $40

You may need to connect the "adapter cable" earth to the vehicle earth. Just check if teh black wires line up in the plugs. If they don't you need the extra earth.

Holy sh!t mate, thanks for that info, you have given me way more info than any of the car audio salesman I've seen so far, really appreciate it bud.

Paul.

Drew
16th February 2014, 01:42 PM
I'm pissed off that the "pro" that installed mine cut and tied mine together rather than using an adaptor :(

rednut
24th February 2014, 10:23 PM

sounds like your head unit only has a single wire for power antenna and remote supply (for say an amplifier)which supplies power as soon a the unit is turned on
the only way to stop it is to put a cut of switch as mudski has mentioned previously