PDA

View Full Version : Centre console gear lever cover/surround

Evo
11th February 2014, 02:13 AM
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has changed theirs from the vinyl type cover?
Mine in my GU is falling off/apart, and was considering retrofitting the concertina style rubber ones, if I can find suitable sized replacements I can make fit, even if I need to modify them a bit.
Just wondering if anyone has done something similar, and if so, have photos of how it looks, how it was done, and also what make/model the boots/covers are from?

Cheers,

Evo

nissannewby
11th February 2014, 02:30 AM
There is rubber boots under the vinyl, the vinyl is only there for looks.

Evo
11th February 2014, 02:47 AM
There is rubber boots under the vinyl, the vinyl is only there for looks.

Yes, I know this, but removing the vinyl leaves 2 gaping holes in the centre console, and I know GQ and I believe older landcruisers, also some other vehicles, have a rubber boot instead of the vinyl ones.
I was hoping to retro fit something like this in place of the vinyl.

Evo

BigRAWesty
11th February 2014, 06:09 AM
Have you got a canvas worker locally??
They may be able to help you with something you are happier with..

happygu
11th February 2014, 11:30 AM
Evo,

These are the best options for you IMO

Option 1:
Just go to the wreckers and pick up a decent one, and swap it out.....I think that would be your cheapest option

Option 2:
Go to a motor trimmer, and get them to make you something

Evo
11th February 2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
It's more because of the plastic console.
How the vinyl hooks underneath with the wire frame and all the plastic pins, most of the pins are gone, and for some reason the wire frame is distorted.
And I don't really want to change the console because it has already been modified for all my extra bits and pieces (reverse camera screen, extra lighter points, aux light switches, UHF, etc).

Cheers

Evo