PDA

View Full Version : The job our fire fighters have.

krbrooking
10th February 2014, 12:34 PM
These couple are from last night.

As you can see the fire came close to our house.

These couple are from today, not even a 2 min drive from my house.

Just wanted to put it out there that the fire fighters do an awesome job, I really take my hat off to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Alitis007
10th February 2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah good on the fireries for all their hard work they put into fighting the blazes. My brothers mate live in Beverage and said they got close to his property but his grand parents have a farm in Donnybrook with livestock on it so who knows how they're going

krbrooking
10th February 2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah good on the fireries for all their hard work they put into fighting the blazes. My brothers mate live in Beverage and said they got close to his property but his grand parents have a farm in Donnybrook with livestock on it so who knows how they're going

Sorry to hear that man hope they are ok.

PMC
10th February 2014, 02:22 PM
To all those firefighters out there, good luck and keep safe!

Kind regards,

RLI & FAMILY

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2014, 03:20 PM
Never a good feeling having fires going past so close 2 your own property. In the October fires that past behind us ( about 2k's away and nothing but bush in between ) , it really hit me how under prepared we were 2 fight the fire if the wind direction changed and headed for us. Water tanks, pump / fire hose and a sprinkler system is on my 2 do list unfortunately out of my price range at the moment. Wish there was a government subsidy that helped those in fire prone areas set themselves up properly.

mudnut
10th February 2014, 03:24 PM
It is terrifying how quickly fires take off. I felt helpless, watching the tops of the flames of a fast moving fire which burnt part of a mates proprrty last year.The fireies did an amazing job and managed to save all of the dwellings in the fires path.

Bloodyaussie
10th February 2014, 05:36 PM
Spoke to the farmer who's property I shoot on and he said it came real close... the last time he said that it burnt the very corner of his place only and it was not as dry as it is this time.

I have helped plant 800 trees on his place and it would piss me off if they got burnt!!!!!!

Alitis007
10th February 2014, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that man hope they are ok.

We spoke to them after work and they said they where fine but it looks like everything north of beverage is coping it a beauty. Hope they get some relief soon!

Hodge
11th February 2014, 08:16 AM
Utmost respect for the fieries. We've been working along side them last few days and it's pretty scary shit out there. Just got home from another night of powerline patrol in the affected areas, and it's so sad that when you pull up in your driveway, the smoke haze is present even at home. Really feel for the people out there.
And once again, my hat goes off to those fieries out there. They don't get enough respect and pay those blokes.

Chimo
11th February 2014, 08:47 AM
If your thinking of installing metal sprinklers to cover your roof calculate the total litres per minute they will use and the pressure and discharge needed by your chosen pump. Consider that its a given than the power will fail so you need a protected diesel or at least a petrol powered pump and fuel storage to drive the system.

Now recognize that your rainwater tanks are not going to big enough to provide water for long enough to cope with the ember attack that can come from miles away and can hit quite some time before before the fire front arrives.

What to do? Consider a recycle set up that diverts water off the roof into the pool and pump from it. During non fire time water off the roof fills storage tanks but diverting straight to the pool is not hard.

At least with a wet house and surrounds, from the over spray, you will survive the ember attack and also have a safer haven as fire flashes over the house.

Fire safety is like pregnancy. Just like its hard to be a little bit pregnant you are either fire safe and protected or you are not. If you are not prepared and confident of all your preparations get the hell out long before the fire turns up. Count on the fact that there will not be a fire truck there to protect you when you most need it.

Shrubs and mulch around the house ensures a better chance it will burn............

As you can guess I got fairly frustrated trying to convince people to be prepared.............

Cheers
Chimo