PDA

View Full Version : JAYDEE Engine shut down

jaydee
9th February 2014, 03:32 PM
Hi, hope someone here can help, have 09 GU Patrol,3.0 litre, dual battery, chipped with 3 inch s/s exhaust, electronic rust prevention and all set up to tow our new van now a problem has occured, for some reason every now and then, for no explicable reason the engine just shuts down, i roll to the side of road,stop and i can restart engine with no problems, for some weird reason it happens about every 3 weeks,iv'e discounted it being the phase of the moon or voodoo so figure it must be mechanical, i'm desperate at the moment want to travel around Aus. Thanks for any help at all.

my third 256
10th February 2014, 06:57 AM
Jump over to the intros and say g'day mate something we ask all members to do, cheers, you'll get a better response that way
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

happygu
10th February 2014, 07:05 AM
Jaydee,

Have you taken your truck back to Nissan for the TPS recall?

You may have a dodgy throttle position sensor....

Mic

Yendor
10th February 2014, 07:09 AM
When it cuts out do all the warning lights come on in the dash (before you turn the ignition switch off and on)? especially the check engine light, alternator/battery and oil pressure light?

Any trouble codes?

Is your vehicle in the range for the TPS recall?

jaydee
10th February 2014, 05:55 PM
Jaydee,

Have you taken your truck back to Nissan for the TPS recall?

You may have a dodgy throttle position sensor....

Mic

Had it back to nissan and had throttle sensor replaced due to recall, had'nt had any problems up untill then , took it back and was told there was no problem, will try them again, but not expecting any help, thanks Mic

happygu
10th February 2014, 06:47 PM
I forgot to ask Jaydee, is yours an auto, as there has been cases where a faulty brake switch will cause the engine shutdown...

I dont have an auto so I cant confirm, but aparently, if you touch the brakes whilst having your foot on the accelerator, the computer will shut the engine down as a safety feature.

Mic

jaydee
10th February 2014, 08:41 PM
No ,it's a manual mate, thanks.

jaydee
10th February 2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Yendor, i'm pretty sure all the lights stay on although every time it happens it's usually while going around a roundabout and someone wants to blast me and i get a bit flustered trying to get it going again so can't be positive, now i think about it, it usually happens while accelerating at lower speeds if that's any help, thanks for your concern mate.

happygu
10th February 2014, 09:42 PM
Jaydee,

I don't think it will be your brake switch then, but if your TPS has been changed, and it has only started after this, then the mechanics may have knocked something..... I will have to try accelerating and touching the brake in my manual truck to see if it does it too....

Here are a couple of threads about the same issue
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18505-Intermittent-shutdown-of-CRD-ZD-30

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15253-ZD30-intermittent-cutting-out-under-load-boost/page2

Maybe one of these can provide a little insight

Mic

Yendor
11th February 2014, 02:59 PM
Had it back to nissan and had throttle sensor replaced due to recall, had'nt had any problems up untill then , took it back and was told there was no problem, will try them again, but not expecting any help, thanks Mic

Sounds like the new one might be faulty. Try pushing down on the accelerator pedal with some sidewards pressure as well. See if you can get the engine to cut out by doing this. Double check the wiring and connections at the TPS.

On the auto's the brake light switch doesn't cause the engine to shut down, it makes it go into limp mode, where no matter how far you push the accelerator pedal down, the engine will stay at idle. You need to remove your foot from the accelerator pedal (let the pedal come back to rest position) then it will work normally again.

I'm not sure if this is the same with the manual's. Mic give it a try, drive along at 40-50ks keep the accelerator pedal in the same position and left foot touch the brake pedal, just enough to bring on the stop lights.

Jaydee, Was it cutting out before you had your electric trailer brake unit fitted? What chip are you running?

jaydee
2nd March 2014, 05:10 PM
Hi Yendor, sorry to be so late replying, have'nt had an internet conn for near 2 weeks, anyway can't be sure what chip but trailer brakes and chip fitted when new by previous owner, no trouble at all before getting new sensor fitted, am going back to Nissan tomorrow and have a shot at them about it, thanks a million for all your help, will let people know how Nissan reacts.

CARLIE T
25th April 2014, 09:36 PM
Hi Jaydee

I am having a very similar problem, did you find out the cause??

NewDan
26th April 2014, 10:56 AM
Sounds very much like the problem I'm having and always after roundabouts at a lower speed. Can't find the problem though.
Dan