PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Intercooler installation 2004 4.2 TD

HuskyInAuz
8th February 2014, 05:35 PM
After waiting four months for the kit to arrive this is the second weekend tearing OEM stuff off only to come across another potential issue. I have a y61 manual (ZD30) but no 4.2 details. Did a fair bit of searching before posting this but didn't find what I was looking for. Like to have the Patrol back on the road Monday with the Intercooler....
These two manifold inlet parts are not close IMHO. As you can see the OEM has a additional airflow elbow to what appears to be a cooler below, the replacement in the first picture, supplied with the kit has no additional airflow capabilities it would appear. I'm wondering if I should leave the OEM intake on or am I missing something? (there was no annotations or mention within the instructions)

Winnie
8th February 2014, 05:38 PM
I you have a 3L patrol and trying to fit a TD42 intercooler?

threedogs
8th February 2014, 05:40 PM
had me reading twice as well
you ordered a 4.2 IC for your ZD30 motor is that right
Signature says 4.2 Winnie is your man
EDIT you have a manual but not for the 4.2 hope that's right

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 05:43 PM
That's the EGR and will go to the exhaust side of the turbo and is part of the pollution gear.

As part of the NADS you would plate that out or remove it if you can deal with the Turbo end.

As Winnie states are you fitting an Intercooler suited to a TD42T? Or a TD42Ti or a ZD30? Thinking the first option as the second and third both have the EGR.

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 05:46 PM
Oh, just re-read. Thought you wee saying you have a Y61 zd30 manual?? You meant you have the manual and can't find what you need it in for the TD42Ti.

Same advice as above though bud. It's the EGR and I have mine blanked but left in place cause the back of the turbo is a batch to get too.

@RLI, pm RLI mate he has the same intercooler on a Ti motor.

threedogs
8th February 2014, 05:46 PM
I think he has a manual for his Patrol but it doesn't cover the 4.2 motor,
that's how I read it

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 05:49 PM
Hey hey why we are here though, can you tell me about your Berrima Diesel tune? Have you posted the details somewhere? If so please post a link to it as I'd be very interested. Alternatively, please start a new thread in General and tell us about it, Dyno sheets would be great.

Cheers MR

HuskyInAuz
8th February 2014, 06:05 PM
Written too many emails, sorry for the cryptic post. Yes, I have a Y61 manual which covers the ZD30, I am not trying to put a ZD30 intercooler on my 4.2 TD ;). My background says 'RTFM' first then ask questions and 'bad documentation is worse than no documentation'. I prefer not to ask until I run out of options which I believe I had.

The engine is a 4.2 Ti.

Berrima was several years ago. This upgrade/story covers a lot of time given I work out of the country. I don't have any dyno information as I upgraded the two systems in reverse order and didn't know Berrima supplied the Viper exhaust. I was very impressed with the folks there and ?Rolf? liked the fact I had the 4.2. The folks that put on the Viper cranked the fuel flow up and unburnt diesel was coming out of the exhaust, Berrima turned it down and with the injectors tuned there I felt like the performance was better and economy was certainly improved. They have been very helpful with post treatment questions too.

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 06:55 PM
have you had a look at the electronic manuals available on this site, they are full factory manuals and you have over 25 posts so are welcome to download them at your leisure.

pm RLI and he will walk you through it or send him the link to your thread in a pm asking for help. he has the exact setup mate.

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 07:26 PM
Just had a look through RLI's build mate

See this thread starting at post 176 for his CC install. He has already removed his ERG though sorry bud..

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15297-RLI-s-Patrols!/page9

Hope that helps mate, he has done a great write up in that thread on the fit up further down.

nissannewby
9th February 2014, 01:59 AM
RLI doesn't have a egr 4.2 his is the earlier 4.2 turbo only engine which did not have the egr. Can you not just use the existing elbow? And just drill and tap for the hose tail.

I would also recommend ridding your engine of the egr pipe and cooler. There a blanking just you can buy. I have removed pretty much all of it off of my 4.2Ti even the solenoids and vacuum lines. It helps with breathing, economy, and response as you are getting more fresh air with no exhaust gas being fed back into the intake. Then you can use your supplied elbow.

Have you contact CC to see if they do an elbow to suit?

I would also get a catch can or route your breather to atmosphere instead of back into your intake.

PMC
9th February 2014, 10:37 AM
After waiting four months for the kit to arrive this is the second weekend tearing OEM stuff off only to come across another potential issue. I have a y61 manual (ZD30) but no 4.2 details. Did a fair bit of searching before posting this but didn't find what I was looking for. Like to have the Patrol back on the road Monday with the Intercooler....
These two manifold inlet parts are not close IMHO. As you can see the OEM has a additional airflow elbow to what appears to be a cooler below, the replacement in the first picture, supplied with the kit has no additional airflow capabilities it would appear. I'm wondering if I should leave the OEM intake on or am I missing something? (there was no annotations or mention within the instructions)

G'day HuskyInAuz,

I fitted my Cross-Country Intercooler to a 2001 GU Patrol 4.2 turbo diesel wagon. I do not have the EGR set-up as you do. I would contact Cross Country Intercoolers and ask them if they have sent you the wrong pipe.

Personally, if it was me i would do as nissannewby suggested and block the EGR. The amount of crap that these systems put back into the engine is a real concern to me.

I blocked my EGR on my 2006 Navara D40 and never had a problem. During the process of blocking the EGR, I was shocked when i saw the amount of oil/gunk residue in the inlet manifold of my D40 which was going back into the engine. I am glad i blocked it.

PS, this is only my opinion.

Kind regards,

RLI

Stropp
9th February 2014, 05:04 PM
Mate I used my ome pipe with a blanking plate so it looks stock but fits up nicely.

mudski
10th February 2014, 07:16 PM
You completely remove the egr pipe any copper who has half a brain will pickup that the pipe is missing and the fines are bloody high. Be careful with this.

HuskyInAuz
12th February 2014, 09:49 AM
I've left the OEM setup given I have not received parts promised 'overnight'. 'One "ah $hit" wipes out 10,000 attaboys', CC is about a million in the hole right now.

Stropp
12th February 2014, 11:21 AM
You completely remove the egr pipe any copper who has half a brain will pickup that the pipe is missing and the fines are bloody high. Be careful with this.

yes this is why i left mine in place with the blanking plate so it looks stock but dont have all that crap going into the engine.

TheFlyingBadger
15th February 2014, 11:00 PM
yes this is why i left mine in place with the blanking plate so it looks stock but dont have all that crap going into the engine.

did you use the new elbow, or keep the stock one?

HuskyInAuz
16th February 2014, 09:19 AM
I spoke with CC yesterday AM, very helpful but IMHO proper instructions would have eliminated the problems. Anyway, on my rig and others with the EGR setup you leave the OEM manifold on and use the plates supplied that provide blocking of the EGR but also has the turbo boost control connectivity. So the new elbow is excess. I'll post final installation pictures shortly.

PMC
16th February 2014, 11:25 AM
RLI doesn't have a egr 4.2 his is the earlier 4.2 turbo only engine which did not have the egr. Can you not just use the existing elbow? And just drill and tap for the hose tail.

I would also recommend ridding your engine of the egr pipe and cooler. There a blanking just you can buy. I have removed pretty much all of it off of my 4.2Ti even the solenoids and vacuum lines. It helps with breathing, economy, and response as you are getting more fresh air with no exhaust gas being fed back into the intake. Then you can use your supplied elbow.

Have you contact CC to see if they do an elbow to suit?

I would also get a catch can or route your breather to atmosphere instead of back into your intake.

G'day Matt,

I received this PM from Scott (HuskyInAuz) yesterday,

"I've taken that EGR valve off and put in two blanks, one has a barbed fitting to put at the end of the air intake which I then hooked up to the boost control.
Like a 'scalded cat' now. I think the wanted me to remove everything below that EGR fitting but there are a lot of tubes off it that I don't have clue as what to do with. I just plugged up the white/red/yellow tubes from the OEM cooler and will disconnect the solenoids."

I will give Scott a call soon and see if i can assist him or i might get him to PM you so you could guide him through what to remove or not remove. It is clear that Scott is frustrated and needs help with his set-up.

PS, i will give you a call too Matt!

Regards,

Paul

PMC
16th February 2014, 11:31 PM
G'day folks,

I had a good chat with Scott today on the phone and typical forum member, he sounds like a nice Gentleman. Scott, if you still have any problems, please contact me!

Regards,

Paul

HuskyInAuz
17th February 2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks again for all the postings, PM's and calls with helpful information. Talked with CC too and installation is complete with bypass and boost control plates. 407394073840740