PDA

View Full Version : LED Bar or Traditional Spot Lights.

ghagan
7th February 2014, 09:42 PM
Just wondering what thoughts folks have regarding additional lighting. The beast came without the spotties that were obviously there at some stage, and the standard lighting is well.. just enough..

So I at least want to put something in the holes in the bullbar. :-) I like the look of the FYRLYT Traditional Spotties but have never seen the LED LightBars in action so I thought I would ask..

Maybe BOTH..

Winnie
7th February 2014, 09:50 PM
I would not waste my time with spotlights again. I have HID spotlights and with my LED bar on I can hardly tell that the spotties are on at all. No comparison.

ghagan
7th February 2014, 09:54 PM
What sort of LED Bar do you have? there are a million options :-(

happygu
7th February 2014, 09:58 PM
I have the Baja Designs 30inch LED Bar.....the only criticism I have on country driving is the reflection you get off the roadsigns...pretty bright coming back at you

Mic

Winnie
7th February 2014, 09:59 PM
What sort of LED Bar do you have? there are a million options :-(

Cheapie exactly the same as all the eBay cheapies. It's a dual row 42" bar. So good.

megatexture
7th February 2014, 10:08 PM
I've got 22" 5 watt light bar x3 and also a pair of lightforce with a 100w hid kit in them, I can tell when I have my spotties on as they are a spot so they outshine the light bars in the centre, but if I had once choice I think I'd go light a light bar for the driving I do mostly 4x4 than touring but I'm sure the spotties have saved me a roo strike or two.

What driving do you do ?

If its between cheap hid's or cheap light bar get the light bar IMO unless you buy purpose made hid's or buy a quality halogen set and convert them they are sh!t

megatexture
7th February 2014, 10:10 PM
Mate if your in brisbane I can show you my lights (saw your other post about browns plains)

lhurley
7th February 2014, 10:38 PM
Mate if your in brisbane I can show you my lights (saw your other post about browns plains)

Can you show me?? Your going to glasshouse correct?

ghagan
7th February 2014, 10:43 PM
I live in Melbourne now megatexture... Not sure if that's good or bad. Only been 10 years. I should decide soon I guess.

the evil twin
7th February 2014, 10:53 PM
Fyrlyt have a pretty awesome output but they would want too as they pull a poo poo load of current and the globes are unique so are therefore expensive and can be hard to get.
IMHO I would spend the money on LED or HID but I admit the Fyrlyt gear is absolutely top quality

I have two Light bars, one is 180 watt (18 x 10 watt LEDs) on the bar and the other is a 240 Watt (24 x 10 Watt LEDs) on the roof.
When the roof bar is on it is almost like daylight
I used to have the 180 watter and two 9 Inch HID's but took the HID's off as they aren't needed at the speeds I cruise at now I have the roof bar

IMHO LED is the probably more suited off road and HID onroad simply due to the relative speeds you are probably doing.
HID throws a further but narrower illumination path than LED and makes a bigger "contrast" to the sides to the human eye IE the side of the road appears darker because the front is so bright

Having said that it's not a big thing really

megatexture
7th February 2014, 11:53 PM
Can you show me?? Your going to glasshouse correct?

Yea can do mate ill be there

BigRAWesty
7th February 2014, 11:59 PM
I got 2 blokes to sport led light Co. 's aroura 10" bars.
A little dearer than the rest but both are extremely happy with them.
One has his roof mounted on his rodeo. Has a pair of 5" spotties up front and says the light bar out puts more than his car lights and spotties combined.

Second bloke has his mounted on the front bar of his 2010 bravo. Now these newer busses have great lights to start with, but the light bar output is awesome..

Now a few things I learnt when researching..
If you want good penetration, ie 1k or more, them you'll probably want spotties. But in all seriousness, who the hell can see a k down the road...?
A light bar can only project light so far.
And by increasing the size of it doesn't add to more distance.
Well reflection does increase, but I'll get to that. Actual light depth doesn't change by increasing your bar size.
What changes is the light output.

A simple way to think of it is a room light.. Stick 30watts in it ya gunna get some very sexy mood light.. But the hall way is dark..

Stick 159watts in the same room and wholly bat shoit you've created the sun, and now your hall way is lit.. You haven't changed the Light style or position, but your reflective light has increased..

So when looking at light bars, look at reflector output percentage and lense reflection percentage.
A higher reflection rate and lower lense reflection rate is what makes a good bar, and the difference between your $100 eBay bar, and the $250 bar from the pros.

All your ironman, Tim etc and middle seat imo.

So yea, hopefully that's not to complicating.. Lol

oncedisturbed
8th February 2014, 01:37 AM
I have an led lightbar and a pair of led spotlights to go with my hid hi/lo beams, works a treeat

Clunk
8th February 2014, 01:40 AM
Ive got a couple of bic lighters

threedogs
8th February 2014, 07:15 AM
for hwy driving I use HID driving lights, off road it no contest a light bar for sure.
Make sure you buy the smallest degree beam available ei 30 degree is spot beam,
and 60 degree is spread, buy spot beam IMO, single row bars have a smaller beam again
around 15 degrees I think

dads tractor
9th February 2014, 10:32 PM
Here is my observations my lads both run the combo as in hid spotlights and led light bars. Their spot lights are set so the left light goes to the right hand side and vice versa for the right hand side light and these are set to cross at the dull point of high beam this gives you a leading light around corners and overflow light on the verges to pick up animals . they then set the lightbars up to boost the highbeam area and this is used for track work or highway work where there is more traffic or hilly terrain so as not to have too go too low beam all the time but once out and there is less traffic they use both. lights used are lightforce hella and auroa. Run both across the barkley and love the setup saves the eyes bigtime.

mudski
9th February 2014, 11:45 PM
My 2c is i have a 40inch 240w light bar and some IPF's with 70w HID's in them. Even on long roads the light bar drowns out the spotties. So i dont even use them anymore.
Maybe if i had better spotties it would be different but i aint spending $$$$ to find out.

amanda1987
15th February 2014, 06:35 PM
led are the go mate :thumbup:

catchinjack
24th February 2014, 07:55 AM
I could never go back to spotties after having lightbars, you wont regret it.

Leo

pas
27th February 2014, 01:46 PM
I have a Quantum LED Light Bar 20000 Lumens (127cm Length) very bright and works way better than spot lights, BUT I am taking it off if anyone is interested in buying it. I can hear the wind passing over it at 110km/h and I like my car quiet.
Regards
Paul

threedogs
27th February 2014, 05:31 PM
should put it up in a new thread for sale, I'm sure someone will snap it up.
How did you find it 110 did you get enough forward light to see any hazards stc