PDA

View Full Version : Are there any surveyors on here?

james008
5th February 2014, 12:51 PM
Hi guys, as the title says I was wondering if there are any surveyors on here?
If so, what field of surveying are you in?
What is the work like? Do you enjoy it? And what level of qualification did you get?

I am starting a Diploma of surveying course this year, but would like to hear opinions of those who are already in the industry, but I am unsure whether its worth doing the Advanced Diploma or not. From what I hear the job prospects are pretty good at the moment.

Winnie
5th February 2014, 12:59 PM
Speak to @mudrunnertd mate.

Evo
5th February 2014, 02:51 PM
What sort of surveying?

Evo

the evil twin
5th February 2014, 03:22 PM
If you are into Boats and Beaches, the Marine and Coastal Surveyors here in WA are booked out years ahead.
Great job but LOTS of time away from home

james008
5th February 2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks Winnie, I'll send him a message.

Evo at the moment I am studying a very general form, it mainly focuses on equipment, taking and analysing measurements and data, however we do get a small amount of field experience but I am unsure what experience that is exactly. I would eventually like to get into surveying for large industrial or commercial projects and buildings, but this is probably a few years away yet.

Thanks Evil Twin. I am okay with spending time away from home and I do find the coast very interesting. I'll have to look into that or similar roles a bit more.

Evo
6th February 2014, 02:08 AM
Ok, fair enough.
I did some surveying many moons ago, and from the sounds of it, you are interested in the area I was in.
Engineering and Mine Surveying.
Anything from setting out boundaries and roads, to mapping out areas, checking datum points, etc.
It is interesting and there are a few things to learn, but if you get/are passionate about it, you will really enjoy it.

Evo