PDA

View Full Version : Installing anderson plug.

Choicebro
5th February 2014, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,

do we have a detailed thread on here for DIY anderson plug installation. i know its probably pretty simple but just wondering where people were running the wires etc....and tips
Did a quick search but no luck.

threedogs
5th February 2014, 12:24 PM
40232I ran mine from the AUX battery to the bulbar via a 30 amp circuit breaker.

Bob
5th February 2014, 12:27 PM
Try this Link Mate

http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?568-DIY-Guide-to-Anderson-Plugs

FNQGU
8th February 2014, 09:14 PM
Hi guys,

do we have a detailed thread on here for DIY anderson plug installation. i know its probably pretty simple but just wondering where people were running the wires etc....and tips
Did a quick search but no luck.

Where do you need it to be?

I ran one to the rear of my vehicle for the trailer, and another into my cargo bay for my fridge. My trailer cabling goes out the engine bay through a grommet into the area inside the wheel arch, then inside the chassis to the back of the vehicle.

If you are running cabling longer distances, just ensure you have sufficient cable diameter to prevent voltage drop.

trekster
8th February 2014, 10:19 PM
as above ^^^ And put an inline fuse/breaker as close to battery as possible.

MEGOMONSTER
8th February 2014, 10:28 PM
I too am wanting to put Anderson plug connect to my aux battery to plug my battery charger in when my car sits in the garage for a while.
Saves me opening the bonnet.

trekster
8th February 2014, 10:52 PM
I got some wire from work, its 5 core 6mm lol, the outer cable is about 20mm od. I run 2 50 amp fuses about 12" off the battery, then ran this through the firewall and down the passenger side to the rear, For now I have 1 relay operating a single anderson plug for my fridge, Have a second one there and cable for it but not connected for now. When I soldered my cable into my plugs I used a gas torch to get the plug hot and soldered the wire in it and filled it with solder giving an excellent connection, once they cooled I popped them back into the case and away I went.

FNQGU
9th February 2014, 08:04 AM
Yes, as per Treckster's comment about the fuse/breaker. I run a 50A Maxi fuse for my trailer cabling right at the battery end.

Also, when soldering your Anderson Plug lugs, make sure you have them aligned with the wire and the plug BEFORE you drop them into the hot solder and they harden. If you don't you will have to twist the cabling all over the place to get them to fit in properly or do them again. Those lugs only go in properly one way. You CAN actually stick them in back to front and they will push right in, but there won't be a proper fit and connection.

Mitch.mccabe
26th February 2014, 11:32 PM
Hey you guys seen or used the single into double/Triple Anderson plugs on ebay? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ANDERSON-PLUG-DOUBLE-ADAPTER-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-50-AMP-50A-12VOLT-/221253060027?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3383b5c5bb They look ok for the price?

mudski
26th February 2014, 11:50 PM
Geez at that price why would you bother making it.

Mitch.mccabe
27th February 2014, 07:30 PM
That's what I thought, All the hard fidly bits done