Tonks
5th February 2014, 10:51 AM
Any advice on which one to install,
The Redarc one looks ok to me,
What do you all reckon.

Thanks Tonks

threedogs
5th February 2014, 11:10 AM
I don't have the Redarc one but only heard good things about it.
Does it have a manual over ride so you can press a button for trailer brakes only for going down hill

BigRAWesty
5th February 2014, 12:40 PM
Seen many red arc's in action.
Can't fault em.

jack
5th February 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi Tonks,

Can't comment on the Redarc but I have the Tekonsha Primus IQ and very impressed by it. Continually checks for proper connection, removable and has a boost feature and manual override.
As I have an auto I have limited engine braking, we took the van (1500kg) over some gnarly tracks and had no issues. The Bloomfield Track has some steep descents and it was fine.

megatexture
5th February 2014, 01:25 PM
Personally I think the redarc units are rubbish, all you can do is set the brakes strength and as soon as you touch the brakes it automatically clamps down to the setting you have it on as there is no g-force sensor to apply the brake gently to match your braking. With my unit I can ride the brakes and the trailer won’t apply the brakes until it sensors me apply the brakes enough that it slows the car down.

Get a Tekonsha brake unit or something simular unless you like a jerky ride, just make sure it has a manual override also.

the only annoying part of these units is they need to be mounted facing forwards and can only be mounted between a certain degree of angle and you want it within reach to apply the manual brakes, so mounting options can be limited (mines mounted on the dash in front my left knee)

threedogs
5th February 2014, 01:30 PM
@ Mega mines mounted there as well , hard to find a good spot , with mine I'll test as I first hook up
and make any adjustment after that. never failed me yet and this is 2nd 4x4 its been on
over-ride is a must have IMO

megatexture
5th February 2014, 01:33 PM
yea mines an old unit also so it’s a fixed one but I’m pretty sure the new units are removable and just leaves a thin mounting bracket when you don’t need the unit just chuck it in the glove box.

Tonks
5th February 2014, 01:54 PM
3D, yes i believe so.
I don't have the Redarc one but only heard good things about it.
Does it have a manual over ride so you can press a button for trailer brakes only for going down hill

jack
5th February 2014, 01:54 PM
yea mines an old unit also so it’s a fixed one but I’m pretty sure the new units are removable and just leaves a thin mounting bracket when you don’t need the unit just chuck it in the glove box.
Yeap, fully removable and you can get a separate bracket to mount in another car. Also mounted in same place as yours, just looked at the package and mounts up to 70 degrees.
Also has 'proportional braking' in that it senses deceleration and automatically sends output to the brakes. Installed it once and never had to adjust it.

Drew
5th February 2014, 04:42 PM
Tekonsha all the way and looks like above the left knee is the preferred spot (thats where mine is too :))

threedogs
5th February 2014, 04:46 PM
never hit it with my knee and it the same brand you and Mega have,
only bit I was ticked at was I had to drill a hole to mount it. no biggie all done and happy

Bloodyaussie
5th February 2014, 04:56 PM
I tow nearly everyday and use the Tekonsha Primus IQ with no problems at all.

About $79 delivered from that mob in Bairnsdale...... to easy!!!

LachDiggityDog
5th February 2014, 10:33 PM
Haha mine is also mounted in that spot : ) lol

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 09:36 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELECTRIC-TRAILER-BRAKE-CONTROL-UNIT-PRIMUS-IQ-BY-TEKONSHA-1-3-AXLES-90160-/121271747825?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3c5c04f1#ht_3439wt_1128

Is this the one?

jack
25th February 2014, 10:10 AM
Hi Mitch, that's the one I have

Mitch.mccabe
25th February 2014, 09:19 PM
Are they simple to install for non electronically minded folk?

megatexture
25th February 2014, 09:23 PM
They come with full instructions and are hard to get it wrong but if when you look at the instructions and think its a bit beyond you just get an auto sparky to hook it up

Here is the basics
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-installation-of-brake-controller-from-scratch.aspx

Primus iq manual
http://www.anythingtruck.com/instructions/755-90160Manual.pdf

Primus iq installation guide
http://www.anythingtruck.com/instructions/755-BrakeControlWiringDiagram.pdf

Bloodyaussie
25th February 2014, 09:29 PM
Really very very simple ti wire up with 4 wires.. Power , Earth , brake switch and a lead that goes to the trailer plug.

The instructions are very detailed and explain in a very simple to understand.. the unit needs to be mounted at an angle and is explained why in the manual.

Once fitted you need to play around with how much power your trailer brakes need and these can change depending on load and conditions but it is easy to make quick adjustments whilst stopped at the lights..

Good luck

Drewboyaus
29th March 2014, 07:07 PM
So can anyone see a major problem with picking up the brake switch from the trailer plug itself?
The wire to the switch on the pedal has no play in it for me to splice in and solder. I was thinking of running a two core cable to the trailer plug, one to pick up the brake switch circuit, the other to activate the brakes on the trailer.
Thoughts?

Yendor
29th March 2014, 07:42 PM
So can anyone see a major problem with picking up the brake switch from the trailer plug itself?
The wire to the switch on the pedal has no play in it for me to splice in and solder. I was thinking of running a two core cable to the trailer plug, one to pick up the brake switch circuit, the other to activate the brakes on the trailer.
Thoughts?

That's no problem at all. In fact on modern vehicle's that's standard procedure. You can actually purchase aftermarket wire harness to suit.

Such as this http://www.autoairparts.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/New-Product-Release-4-Core-Trailer-Brake-Cable.pdf

Drewboyaus
29th March 2014, 07:53 PM
That's no problem at all. In fact on modern vehicle's that's standard procedure. You can actually purchase aftermarket wire harness to suit.

Such as this http://www.autoairparts.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/New-Product-Release-4-Core-Trailer-Brake-Cable.pdf

Thanks, that's great!

Robo
30th March 2014, 10:33 AM
You will kick yourself later on not going with a unit that is a good as Tekonsha.
For the sake of a few dollars the G-force extra no argument wins hands down.

Being able to set the amount of brake is easy.
But having it self adjustable is a Real extra that pays dividends the first time you need to brake harder that the inital setting.
Needing to brake harder than inital setting, with a lesser unit, the trailer is then pushing you onwards and your not totally in control.
Yeah you may get an over ride switch, but it's about reaction time.
You can get lucky and have sufficient time to react.

Having to brake all of a sudden and then remember to go for the over-ride switch when times in short supply, your then not concentrating on the rd and taking a hand off the wheel and possibly eyes off the rd also.

On the open rd you may never need the g-force option, but get into any town and some clown props in front of you!.
Then again out on the open rd & skippy jumps across the rd.
Are you putting the Family in the car?.
m2cw

Drewboyaus
30th March 2014, 08:33 PM
Just installed my Tekonsha today.

the evil twin
4th November 2014, 06:49 PM
I now have Tekonsha Primus controllers in my Patrol and Territory.
At $75 they are the cheapest of the Tekonsha proportional braking model range.
I chose the Primus because I am a cheaparse and also because I only have one trailer with elec brakes.
Piss easy to mount, do the wiring and the calibration is set and forget (for one trailer) or a little fiddly if you have a couple.
Works awesome on my 2 ton van.

I believe the other Tekonsha models like the Prodigy etc are preferrred if you are using several trailers of differing weights, one trailer with widely variable load or extra axles (up to 4) as you can select different setups via the menu, could be wrong tho.

Agronaught
5th November 2014, 07:06 PM
I've got the Prodigy and its never let me down. I quickly set it depending on the load in the trailer and forget its there, it just does the job and the proportional breaking based on the rate of deceleration works well. Hit the breaks hard and the trailer pulls up just as hard, take it easy and the trailer does as well.

J.