PDA

View Full Version : Electric or Manual Windows?

Family4x4
3rd February 2014, 09:37 PM
Hi all

My GQ has manual windows at the moment and i can get most of the gear to do an electric conversion ( door cards, switches and motors).

I am after peoples opinion is it worth the hassle? How do the electrical components stand up to river crossings/bog holes?

I am leaning towards leaving it manual windows.

cheers.

AB
3rd February 2014, 09:47 PM
Leave it manual mate.

A lot of people seem to have issues with the electric windows on the gq.

I know it's a big call but depending on the type of 4wding you do if you like deep river crossings or if something happens whilst you are in deep water then you know you can manually wind the window down and get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Winnies-missus
3rd February 2014, 09:52 PM
I think Winnie votes manual ones haha

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2014, 10:02 PM
Electric for sure!!!!!

My GQ has electric windows and when I bought it everyone said oh no it will be terrible! Rubbish! Love the fast glass!

Avo
3rd February 2014, 10:02 PM
I have 1 electric window and the other 3 don't work,stay manual..I am thinking of going manual

AB
3rd February 2014, 10:08 PM
Electric for sure!!!!!

My GQ has electric windows and when I bought it everyone said oh no it will be terrible! Rubbish! Love the fast glass!

Grandpa.....

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd February 2014, 10:11 PM
Had a mate who's window wouldn't wind up when he got to work, half the day later and he finally got it. Stay manual so simple!

Clunk
3rd February 2014, 10:26 PM
Electric for sure!!!!!

I'm lazy and like the lectric but have manual in mine and as with everything I can wind them up faster than BA runs to the big when he's got the squits

Faisal
5th February 2014, 06:42 PM
With rain and little dust, electric windows get really slow.

I changed mine to manual and so my brother.

NissanGQ4.2
5th February 2014, 09:04 PM
Electric even though you need 2 sell your kids on the black market 2 buy replacement new motors :)

GQ TANK
5th February 2014, 09:14 PM
I love my electric windows - especially when I hit the lock button on my alarm remote - all the windows go up.

Winnie
5th February 2014, 09:19 PM
I think Winnie votes manual ones haha

Haha. Happened on both my GQs with elec windows, but the regulator stuffs out and if you wind the window down it won't go up. I spent all Australia Day weekend with my window down because it wouldn't go up. Worst was the first day because it was pissing rain all day. I do love electric windows though.

ova50
7th February 2014, 04:27 PM
We made the choice a few years back that for our next vehicle we would prefer manual windows. One reason for buying the DX.
For some 25 years or more we had always had electric, and despite no having problems with the windows they gave us plenty of other headaches.
Would stop the vehicle to get out then the wife would say "I haven't closed my window yet". Key back in, ignition back on, just so she could close her side.
Having the manual windows has given us one less reason to yell at one another.:icon_victory::Yahoo!: My vote, manual.

threedogs
7th February 2014, 04:50 PM
easy KISS one less thing to go wrong

NissanGQ4.2
7th February 2014, 05:56 PM
Would stop the vehicle to get out then the wife would say "I haven't closed my window yet". Key back in, ignition back on, just so she could close her side.

But you can wire them up so you don't need to put the key in 2 wind up the windows :)

mudski
7th February 2014, 06:26 PM
If your going through rivers deep enough and same with bog holes you have issues.:D
Well rivers maybe but bog holes? Drive around those things.
As long as the gears are greased and the runners and channels are in good nick there is no reason for the window to jam. Unless the motor fails.

Electric is my vote.

Ryangtd42
4th March 2014, 12:45 PM
if you 4x4 a lot and mud and water gets in your door go manual if you don't go electric

Abloky
15th June 2014, 01:45 PM
I bought my 93 patrol with manual winders, originally it was electric. Now when I go over bumps, the front ones particularly, work down. When I have them up I can just push them down. Anyone else's do that or know how to fix it??

AB
15th June 2014, 05:21 PM
I bought my 93 patrol with manual winders, originally it was electric. Now when I go over bumps, the front ones particularly, work down. When I have them up I can just push them down. Anyone else's do that or know how to fix it??

Don't have an answer unfortunately but my 90 gq was electric and previous owner switched to manual as well but they are fine.

Ben-e-boy
15th June 2014, 05:41 PM
Simple. I want electric with manual back up. Like and auto garage door.