PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a 12V compressor/tyre pump, Help!

dom14
3rd February 2014, 09:10 PM
Hi guys,
I'm about to purchase a 12V compressor, that is capable of inflating flat, tubeless tyres.
So, I'm after a one that can pump a tyre that has just been changed.

I'm wondering about the minimum requirement of Litres per minute that I should expect from a small 12V compressor, to be able to pump a flat tyre from zero(that being a changed one from the tyre changer, etc).

What is the minimum requirement? 45 L/min, 60 L/min, 80 L/min, 150 L/min??!!

They all says, they can handle uptp 150 psi, which is not a concern for me, as we don't have to pump up a tyre anywhere near that.

It's the ability to pump a flat tyre from the tyre changer that is a need for me.

Can something like this do the job(45 L/min)?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181181314704?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649]NEW Proamp 12V Twin Cylinder Auto AIR Compressor With LED Work Light | eBay

Or do I need something bit dearer like this( 80L/ min)?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121191715049?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649]Starke AIR 150PSI 12V Portable Compressor CAR Tyre Inflator Deflator Repair KIT | eBay

Or do I need a 'super' pump like this( 150 L/ min)?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390470368561?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649]AIR Compressor 12V CAR 4x4 Bike Tyre Inflator Electric Portable Pressure Gold

I would like to, if possible, stay away from more expensive, bulkier ones and stick with a one that will do the job just enough. I know, the $20 rubbish ones don't work, even though they can handle ones with a tube.

I need a one that can handle tubeless, just changed flat tyres, but takes very little room at the back of the car at the same time.

Thanks for any suggestions

paulyg
3rd February 2014, 09:23 PM
If you want to pump a tyre from flat, you may need to seat the bead in which case it is volume you need more than outright pressure,
So the more L/min you have the better.

Bloodyaussie
3rd February 2014, 09:31 PM
I am sorry but I dont like any of these cheap ones..... give me the shits and fail when you need them most!!!

My TJM compressor will not beat world records but id a solid performer and at $200 from a shop with a 5 year warranty I am happy.

I have a couple of others one being the Tigerz one which is the same as 50 others out there and it died in the ass after only 3 hours work.

My car is now fitted with an ARB twin compressor and that thing is nearly 5cfm and I can pump tyres so bloody quick !!! I love it!!!!

I know other have bought those cheaper ones and are pleased but I just cannot anymore.

dom14
3rd February 2014, 09:43 PM
What is the Litres per minute rate of your TJM one mate?

And I didn't know you can fit a one permanently.
Where about outside the car do you fit it?

Ideally, it should not need to run anymore than few minutes at once, to pump up a tyre, before we hit the margin of the duty cycle.

And I'm hoping, that I won't get ten punctures a year. :D

I am sorry but I dont like any of these cheap ones..... give me the shits and fail when you need them most!!!

My TJM compressor will not beat world records but id a solid performer and at $200 from a shop with a 5 year warranty I am happy.

I have a couple of others one being the Tigerz one which is the same as 50 others out there and it died in the ass after only 3 hours work.

My car is now fitted with an ARB twin compressor and that thing is nearly 5cfm and I can pump tyres so bloody quick !!! I love it!!!!

I know other have bought those cheaper ones and are pleased but I just cannot anymore.

dom14
3rd February 2014, 09:46 PM
So, you reckon I should go for the 150 L/ min one?!

If you want to pump a tyre from flat, you may need to seat the bead in which case it is volume you need more than outright pressure,
So the more L/min you have the better.

Bloodyaussie
3rd February 2014, 09:49 PM
You need a 150L one mate as these tyres take a long time to fill.. what they dont tell you is it is best to fill say 2 tyres then give it a rest for 5-10min then fill the other 2 but not with my setup

My compressor is connected to a 9lt tank and also runs my air locker.

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2014, 09:54 PM

Agree, buy the best one you can afford. Note also you have a very specific need. You need to Know the Techniques needed for seating the bead and re inflating a dead flat tyre with bead off. Unless you know how to do it NO Compressor will get it done.

BA I thought you were going to go endless air bud? You bought the double ARB??? Nice!! Very Nice!

dom14
3rd February 2014, 09:55 PM
Ok, that didn't cross my mind.
I was thinking about the unit, more as an emergency tyre pump to use after fixing a puncture or something.

I'm on AT tyres, It's not likely I can carry muddies to change on the road at this stage.

I tend to avoid heavy mud off roading at this stage, 'cos my rig is not that ready for rough riding, yet.

It's an RB30, so I reckon I need a TB or a TD for tough off roading.

You need a 150L one mate as these tyres take a long time to fill.. what they dont tell you is it is best to fill say 2 tyres then give it a rest for 5-10min then fill the other 2 but not with my setup

My compressor is connected to a 9lt tank and also runs my air locker.

dom14
3rd February 2014, 10:00 PM
Yeah mate, I'm pretty handy with tyres.
Worked at a tyre shop when I was a kid. :)
I can change a tyre with a single tyre lever, manual backyard style( I think). ;)

Agree, buy the best one you can afford. Note also you have a very specific need. You need to Know the Techniques needed for seating the bead and re inflating a dead flat tyre with bead off. Unless you know how to do it NO Compressor will get it done.

BA I thought you were going to go endless air bud? You bought the double ARB??? Nice!! Very Nice!

paulyg
3rd February 2014, 10:00 PM
I have a projecta typhoon 150 L/min compressor looks similar to the one in the picture, probably mid price range at the time.
I have had it for a few years now and it has been very good,
What BA said is very true, if you intend to use the compressor a lot I would get the biggest and best you can afford.

dom14
3rd February 2014, 10:08 PM
At the moment, I'm looking one for emergencies only, mate.

Yeah, I know, ebay ones probably not gonna cut it, if I'm to use them regularly.

I have a projecta typhoon 150 L/min compressor looks similar to the one in the picture, probably mid price range at the time.
I have had it for a few years now and it has been very good,
What BA said is very true, if you intend to use the compressor a lot I would get the biggest and best you can afford.

the evil twin
3rd February 2014, 10:55 PM
As prev mentioned it isn't pressure that does the work on setting a tyre bead it is volume.
and in a 12 volt application it isn't the compressor that supplies volume it is the accumulator or tank (if you prefer).

Yes, some/many of the 150 litre jobbies will do it IF you know what you are doing but so will an 80 if you run it thru even a faily small accumulator.

Buy the best quality compressor you can and fit an accumulator "somewhere" then it doesn't matter if it is an 80 or a 150.
That also means you can use air tools, train horns, pump up beach toys, tubes etc

dom14
4th February 2014, 05:43 PM
I didn't know about the accumulators at all mate.
Where do I get an accumulator to suit an 80 L/m one or 150 L/m one?
And do I need to fit it permanently to the car?
Any chance of anybody posting a picture of an accumulator fitted to fourby?
Thanks

As prev mentioned it isn't pressure that does the work on setting a tyre bead it is volume.
and in a 12 volt application it isn't the compressor that supplies volume it is the accumulator or tank (if you prefer).

Yes, some/many of the 150 litre jobbies will do it IF you know what you are doing but so will an 80 if you run it thru even a faily small accumulator.

Buy the best quality compressor you can and fit an accumulator "somewhere" then it doesn't matter if it is an 80 or a 150.
That also means you can use air tools, train horns, pump up beach toys, tubes etc

Stropp
4th February 2014, 05:51 PM
dont have pics but it just an air receiver tank that will hold the air so you can use the volume when you need it, do a search top right of the page on on board air.

threedogs
4th February 2014, 06:02 PM
This is a tank and motor for my diff lock and air horn. I will also
be mounting a hotdog tank to run air tools and re-seat tyres if needed.
ATM I just take a twin ended 150 pump in a plastic case.
The red tank will be mounted up on the chassis rail near the sills

Bloodyaussie
4th February 2014, 06:56 PM
This my set up....

dom14
4th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Where exactly is this unit setup mate?
Is this the back of the car? Is it a ute?
Where do you buy the accumulator tank from?
Would this do the job?
Mind is a GQ wagon. I would struggle to fit in them permanently, but should be possible.
I already have an auxiliary lpg tank taking up the room at the back of the unit, and under the chassis, long range petrol tank takes up a fair bit of room as well.
I'm thinking the roofrack(taken off at the moment), or am I kidding myself? :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shurflo-Pre-Pressurised-Accumulator-Tank-For-Caravans-RVs-Boats-/171221672384?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dd9b61c0&_uhb=1
Thanks

threedogs
5th February 2014, 06:04 PM
That red tank I pictured will fit under the passenger door on the outside of the chassis.
Google is your friend just type in air tanks.
The compressor itself should fit in the engine bay, you may need to move a few things around.
Normally its in front of the passenger in the engine bay

megatexture
5th February 2014, 07:37 PM
Where exactly is this unit setup mate?
Is this the back of the car? Is it a ute?
Where do you buy the accumulator tank from?
Would this do the job?
Mind is a GQ wagon. I would struggle to fit in them permanently, but should be possible.
I already have an auxiliary lpg tank taking up the room at the back of the unit, and under the chassis, long range petrol tank takes up a fair bit of room as well.
I'm thinking the roofrack(taken off at the moment), or am I kidding myself? :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shurflo-Pre-Pressurised-Accumulator-Tank-For-Caravans-RVs-Boats-/171221672384?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dd9b61c0&_uhb=1
Thanks

This looks more suited to a pressure regulated water pump?

meh
6th February 2014, 12:20 AM
I have the super pump in the first post and i use it all the time. Pumps up the tyres in no time at all. It does get hot so just let it cool slightly after doing 2 wheels but it isnt needed. Ive done my 33's from 20 -45 and my mates 31's 20-45 all in one setting without any issues. It comes in a case and it just stays in my boot. Too lazy to mount it and get a tank.

dom14
6th February 2014, 04:05 AM
Yeah, found this unit, pretty close to where I live.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shurflo-Pre-Pressurised-Accumulator-Tank-For-Caravans-RVs-Boats-/171221672384?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=ite m27dd9b61c0&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=582720893327

It's at,
Award RV Superstore
924 Burwood Hwy
Ferntree Gully VIC 3156
Phone: 03 9753 5511

Meant for caravans I think. I thought it might do the job for the fourby as well?!

That red tank I pictured will fit under the passenger door on the outside of the chassis.
Google is your friend just type in air tanks.
The compressor itself should fit in the engine bay, you may need to move a few things around.
Normally its in front of the passenger in the engine bay

dom14
6th February 2014, 04:08 AM
So, it's possible the whole setup to keep in a bag, at the back, not fitting it in permanently(pump, tank, hoses and wires)?
May be a good idea for the flexibility?
I reckon it's probably the best way for me.
Everywhere I see in and out of my 4wd, it's cramped.
I carry absolutely shite load of tools at the back of the car.
Basically, all the tools to do pretty much everything, except gearbox! :D
I'm even carrying a spare complete head gasket kit(but not a cylinder head so far) :clapping:

I have the super pump in the first post and i use it all the time. Pumps up the tyres in no time at all. It does get hot so just let it cool slightly after doing 2 wheels but it isnt needed. Ive done my 33's from 20 -45 and my mates 31's 20-45 all in one setting without any issues. It comes in a case and it just stays in my boot. Too lazy to mount it and get a tank.

gaddy
6th February 2014, 08:02 AM
Yeah, found this unit, pretty close to where I live.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shurflo-Pre-Pressurised-Accumulator-Tank-For-Caravans-RVs-Boats-/171221672384?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dd9b61c0&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=582720893327

It's at,
Award RV Superstore
924 Burwood Hwy
Ferntree Gully VIC 3156
Phone: 03 9753 5511

Meant for caravans I think. I thought it might do the job for the fourby as well?!

They are for water tanks in caravans and boats ,

threedogs
6th February 2014, 08:13 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18-LITRE-AIR-TANK-4X4-4WD-AIR-LOCKER-MJ-4X4-/201031425929?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ece681f89

This is what you're after
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-volt-1-7-cfm-air-compressor-with-13-ltr-tank-4x4-trucks-camping-mechanics-/251175342667?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7b37924b

BillsGU
6th February 2014, 08:56 AM
Not a fan of compressors in the engine bay. Its very hot in the engine bay and the idea is to keep the compressor as cool as possible. If there is no choice then OK - but it's the last place I would fit one. One bit of advice. If you do fit one, make sure you use serious cable. Compressors draw LOTS of current and if the cables are not up to it you will have considerable voltage drop and your cables will get VERY hot. Also, if it is portable, make sure you have decent battery clips. Again the smaller clamps do not provide a decent battery connection and will also get VERY hot.

liftlid
6th February 2014, 09:34 AM
Just keep it simple, an ARB will do the job fine, it's ok to put under bonnet which keeps the noise out of the cabin, and you don't need a cylinder to seat a bead, and it won't cut out, comes with a loom. Doesn't take up space in the back so is great for touring.

Winnie
6th February 2014, 09:48 AM
Just keep it simple, an ARB will do the job fine, it's ok to put under bonnet which keeps the noise out of the cabin, and you don't need a cylinder to seat a bead, and it won't cut out, comes with a loom. Doesn't take up space in the back so is great for touring.

I'd love an ARB compressor under the bonnet but it just won't fit anywhere. Have seen people mount them under the passenger's seat, still out of the way and that's where I'd like to have one.

threedogs
6th February 2014, 12:47 PM
beware of compressors with the thermal cut out, engine bay temps wont allow your compressor to work
until temps come down, but plenty of compressors around without thermal cut out

liftlid
6th February 2014, 01:01 PM
I'd love an ARB compressor under the bonnet but it just won't fit anywhere. Have seen people mount them under the passenger's seat, still out of the way and that's where I'd like to have one.

Mine fits between aux batt and firewall

threedogs
6th February 2014, 01:04 PM
Does the ARB one fit anyway up??

Winnie
6th February 2014, 01:11 PM
Mine fits between aux batt and firewall

Mine won't fit there as I've had to move heaps of stuff including overflow bottle to that space to fit the aux battery.

liftlid
6th February 2014, 01:16 PM
The only thing relocated is the vacuum canister

threedogs
6th February 2014, 01:22 PM
are they weather proof ?? mount it on the chassis in a Tupperware box with holes in it
with the outlet on front of bulbar[nitto fitting]

liftlid
6th February 2014, 02:01 PM
are they weather proof ?? mount it on the chassis in a Tupperware box with holes in it
with the outlet on front of bulbar[nitto fitting]

Yes will run underwater just need intake above waterline.

liftlid
6th February 2014, 02:10 PM
Photo didn't attach last time
The only thing relocated is the vacuum canister

dom14
8th February 2014, 03:02 AM
Crap! Thanks mate. :icon_bonk:

They are for water tanks in caravans and boats ,

dom14
8th February 2014, 03:08 AM
Ok, cool. I won't fit under the bonnet, mate. There is no chance, as there's no room. It's cramped enough as it is.

I'm thinking of keeping the tank and the pump in a bag, either on the roofrack or at the back of the fourby.

Not a fan of compressors in the engine bay. Its very hot in the engine bay and the idea is to keep the compressor as cool as possible. If there is no choice then OK - but it's the last place I would fit one. One bit of advice. If you do fit one, make sure you use serious cable. Compressors draw LOTS of current and if the cables are not up to it you will have considerable voltage drop and your cables will get VERY hot. Also, if it is portable, make sure you have decent battery clips. Again the smaller clamps do not provide a decent battery connection and will also get VERY hot.

dom14
8th February 2014, 03:14 AM
Perfect. Thanks mate.
I almost bought a friggin water tank. :icon_bonk:
:D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18-LITRE-AIR-TANK-4X4-4WD-AIR-LOCKER-MJ-4X4-/201031425929?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ece681f89

This is what you're after
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-volt-1-7-cfm-air-compressor-with-13-ltr-tank-4x4-trucks-camping-mechanics-/251175342667?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7b37924b

dom14
8th February 2014, 03:16 AM
yeah, silly me. That what it is. :))

This looks more suited to a pressure regulated water pump?

Bloodyaussie
8th February 2014, 07:08 AM
This is the tank I have... tank is fine but most of the hardware that comes with it is crap and I just go to my local fitting supplier and get what I need.
If running a tank you need a one way valve.

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-category/compressors/air-tanks/9l-air-tank.html

threedogs
8th February 2014, 08:53 AM
a few here have fit their compressor in the rear quarter panel with great success.
I wonder if anyone has mounted one on the cargo barrier, But if its only for airing up,
a compressor in a sturdy case or make your own box would be fine, some have also put F/R air outlets
so a smaller hose is needed

liftlid
8th February 2014, 09:47 AM
a few here have fit their compressor in the rear quarter panel with great success.
I wonder if anyone has mounted one on the cargo barrier, But if its only for airing up,
a compressor in a sturdy case or make your own box would be fine, some have also put F/R air outlets
so a smaller hose is needed

That would be close to the kids head and would be noisy, I also run air lockers and they put small amounts of oil and vapour back through the sol. Which smells.

threedogs
8th February 2014, 09:53 AM
I don't have kids, noisy yes but its not like its running all the time.
same noise if fitted under your seat, endless air takes a day to fit,
regardless of sales pitch it has to drag a few ponies from your motor.
I like it though,, tried one on the PGS rock crawler at the Cruiserkhana one year.
Faster than a servo.

Winnie
8th February 2014, 09:55 AM
Endless only uses fuel when it's running, same as air con. My mate converted his air con compressor to an air compressor on his 60, it's awesome. But I'd rather have the air con thanks.

MudRunnerTD
8th February 2014, 10:16 AM
That would be close to the kids head and would be noisy, I also run air lockers and they put small amounts of oil and vapour back through the sol. Which smells.

My air locker compressor is under the passenger seat and after the first time out I went back to ARB and complained about the diff oil smell in the cab. They fitted exhaust hoses to the 2 solenoid sand ran them back out the floor pan and no more smells. Simple fix and should have been like that from the start. Needless to say I did not offer to pay for them.

An air compressor on the cargo barrier would make a dreadful noise I reckon.

mudski
8th February 2014, 01:55 PM

Yes Remember Daz at Murrundindi you managed to re seal my blown front tyre with a small portable air compressor? Technique is the key.

threedogs
8th February 2014, 02:19 PM
that oil smell is why a lot went for the Pro-locker
both are brilliant
IS It overkill for the average 4x4er if only for airing up after a weekend playing

dom14
9th February 2014, 03:17 AM
This is the tank I have... tank is fine but most of the hardware that comes with it is crap and I just go to my local fitting supplier and get what I need.
If running a tank you need a one way valve.

http://www.tigerz11.com.au/product-category/compressors/air-tanks/9l-air-tank.html

Looks like the above tank comes with the valve. That's cool.