PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary battery question

GU_Mick
3rd February 2014, 07:43 PM
The build of my new TD42Ti begins. I have a Redarc duel battery system on its way, ARB battery tray fitted. I now need to choose an auxiliary battery. I have always used marine batteries and I usually on get about 3 years out of them. Some shorter. I have been doing a lot of reading and I am still a bit confused. I have done some ringing around and here's the prices I can find (bear in mind I am in rural NSW).

Local battery bloke - $205 - 105ah deep cycle. I think its a Excide

Battery World - AGM $320

Century batteries - $420 - their own brand of AGM

Other battery place - $177 - Hybrid 97ah deep cycle (reckons he sell bucket loads of them with a 2 year warranty)

I am after a sealed unit that I wont need to maintain with a trickle charger too much, if at all. I need a battery that will last at least 2 days to run a Evakool fridge. I would really love some suggestions before I need to buy on ein the next week.

Thanks

Mick

megatexture
3rd February 2014, 09:09 PM
Did you get a dcdc unit? Or just an isolator? As the isolator won't maintain the battery as well

I've bought a few batteries off this mob and they we're very helpful
http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au

GU_Mick
3rd February 2014, 09:22 PM
I bought the SBI12 100amp one

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2014, 11:24 PM
I bought the SBI12 100amp one

Which is the same ISO as I got and don't believe it is doing my battery any good not charging battery to 100%.
After 2 year my century ultra high performance battery is starting to fail.
A dcdc charging system has been recommended to me also
I run my fridge day and night, and draining the battery probably past it capabilities.

happygu
3rd February 2014, 11:28 PM
Not sayin i'm the only one right, but I run a yellow top Optima, and have had a really good run from them.

( Just to add another option for you GU_Mick )
Mic

TimE
4th February 2014, 08:46 AM
I have run a Fullriver 100ah AGM for 6 years and it is still going strong (touch wood). It has been across the Simpson 3 times and down the Canning and all places in between. The battery lives in the engine bay, not the best environment (heat). I shopped around town and eventually got it through my mechanic at trade, saved a few $s that way.

I also now (past 2 years) run a second 105 ah Fullriver AGM located in the back of the GU to drive my second fridge and HF radio.

I am in the habit of putting the charger (CTEK 7000) on every two weeks or so, and definitely the night before we go away. Both batteries are thus fully charged and ready to go. The longest I have run the fridge without charging a battery is about 80 hours, temps no higher than 25C, GU in the shade and minimal opening and closing of the fridge.