PDA

View Full Version : Manual Front Hubs

ova50
3rd February 2014, 05:24 PM
I was doing some off road driving yesterday. Using both 4x4 high and low range.
What I noticed was that one of the front hubs (drivers side) would turn by itself from the "lock" position to "free".
Once I realised this was happening I would check it every so often and would turn it back to "Lock".
Can any one advise me as to why this would be happening and if they can be repaired ???
Thanks

BigRAWesty
3rd February 2014, 05:27 PM
Funny you say that, I noticed my hub had gone from free to lock the other day..

Though to myself, duffa forget to change it while airing up, but I was also questioning it..

So maybe something I need to check out also..

ova50
3rd February 2014, 05:32 PM
Funny you say that, I noticed my hub had gone from free to lock the other day..

Though to myself, duffa forget to change it while airing up, but I was also questioning it..

So maybe something I need to check out also..

Was yours the passenger side or drivers side??
Mine was drivers, so im wondering if the rotation of the wheel was causing it.

mudnut
3rd February 2014, 05:50 PM
How much grease is in the hub, and what condition is the grease in?

ova50
3rd February 2014, 06:00 PM
How much grease is in the hub, and what condition is the grease in?
Thanks Mudnut,
I would not know, I havent got that far as yet.
I fitted manual hubs to my previous 4x4 (97 Pajero). I had them apart a couple of times. Would I be correct in saying that the design and internal parts would be similar in design.
They are very easy to turn in comparison to my old vehicle. If so I wondered if the internal spring may be causing the problem.
Is there any particular grease to use or is multi-purpose ok.

lhurley
3rd February 2014, 06:36 PM
The only spring they have in them is a tiny spring to locate the ball that gives you a click when you lock it. All they are is basically a screw and a gear.

I have been having trouble with mine not unlocking, the issue is that the first piece of the screw has worn out slightly and isnt grabbing the gear.

mudnut
3rd February 2014, 06:46 PM
I have seen another thread that mentioned too much grease can cause the mechanism to move. Other than that, I've had no problem with the hubs. I use Innox LM8 on all of the front axle assemblies as it is marine, extreme pressure and high temp grade.

ova50
3rd February 2014, 06:55 PM
I have seen another thread that mentioned too much grease can cause the mechanism to move. Other than that, I've had no problem with the hubs. I use Innox LM8 on all of the front axle assemblies as it is marine, extreme pressure and high temp grade.

Thanks, Will have to have a look at them, from what was said about there being a small spring in it, it appears they are quite different to the hubs in my old vehicle.
They had a spring about 1 1/2" x 2".