PDA

View Full Version : Crd zd30 alternator clutch

Gu with stacks
2nd February 2014, 10:24 PM
Has anyone else had a drama with their alternator pulley clutch ? Im hearing a lite metallic noise from that immediate area and sounds related to fan belt rotation almost like with the rotation of pulley it's lightly catching the inner assembly of clutch pulley ? Has anyone changed that pulley separate to alternator or just replace alternator?

kevin07
3rd February 2014, 09:02 AM
pm sent...

threedogs
3rd February 2014, 09:19 AM
Get a new alternator mine snapped off, lucky no major damage,
but kept throwing error for cps.
Only made a very small noise at idle and would disappear with a few revs,
we put it down to water on the belt as we went through puddles getting to camp

the evil twin
3rd February 2014, 07:42 PM
Very common problem for the Alternator sprag clutch to start playing up and making horrible noises.

Not just on Patrols either.

pearcey
3rd February 2014, 08:54 PM
Mate I replaced a pulley for a client about 12 months ago
Cost of pulley $190 plus you need a special tool for removal and replacement
There is a clutchless pulley available BUT NOT RECOMMENDED

the evil twin
3rd February 2014, 10:58 PM
I agree with Pearcey... clutchless are cheaper but I wouldn't fit one to my truck

kevin07
3rd February 2014, 11:30 PM
would you explain why you wouldn't use clutchless please

pearcey
4th February 2014, 08:08 AM
My supplier had heard of a few issues with the clutchless units and their advice was good enough for me as they receive plenty of feed back from the trade. 1 issue was vibration, which apparently lead to other problems.

kevin07
4th February 2014, 09:50 AM
im asking as I welded one up on advice from a mate in the car trade on my navara as I couldn't at the time find a new one worked brilliant

threedogs
4th February 2014, 10:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alternator-for-Nissan-Patrol-GU-Turbo-engine-ZD30DD-3-0L-Diesel-Clutch-Pulley-/261251277891?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd3ca2443
Seems like a good price and 5 year warranty

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290970629641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
another a bit cheaper but less warranty only 3 yrs

the evil twin
4th February 2014, 11:29 PM
would you explain why you wouldn't use clutchless please

The clutch is there to damp out inertia overun, vibration and belt whip in the serpy belt which damages bearings and belt tensioners

Yendor
4th February 2014, 11:37 PM
I had a solid pulley alternator fitted to my last Patrol for about 3 years without any problems.

the evil twin
5th February 2014, 01:20 AM
I had a solid pulley alternator fitted to my last Patrol for about 3 years without any problems.

Hiya mate,

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it.
Just a personal thing really, the sprags are there for a reason and I'm comfy with keeping it.
Bloody ZD30 belt tensioners are a sad enough bit of kit already

When my Alt sprag got noisy at about 120,000ish I stayed with a sprag replacement.
Same as I stayed with a dual mass flywheel even tho non factory are cheaper.

Yendor
5th February 2014, 02:15 PM
Hiya mate,

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it.
Just a personal thing really, the sprags are there for a reason and I'm comfy with keeping it.
Bloody ZD30 belt tensioners are a sad enough bit of kit already

When my Alt sprag got noisy at about 120,000ish I stayed with a sprag replacement.
Same as I stayed with a dual mass flywheel even tho non factory are cheaper.

Yeah mate, I use to think along the same line as you until I had to replace the sprag pulley on my alternator then about 6 months later the regulator died.

After I have spoken with a couple of people who have had the solid pulley alternators fitted for awhile with no dramas I decide to replace it with an aftermarket one with a solid pulley.

I'm just sharing my experiences, people will need to make up their own minds.

It would be interesting to find out why the sprag pulley was fitted originally. I think it has something to do with engine shutdown, possibly for when engine kicks backwards??

the evil twin
5th February 2014, 04:40 PM
Yeah mate, I use to think along the same line as you until I had to replace the sprag pulley on my alternator then about 6 months later the regulator died.

After I have spoken with a couple of people who have had the solid pulley alternators fitted for awhile with no dramas I decide to replace it with an aftermarket one with a solid pulley.

I'm just sharing my experiences, people will need to make up their own minds.

It would be interesting to find out why the sprag pulley was fitted originally. I think it has something to do with engine shutdown, possibly for when engine kicks backwards??

G'day mate, yeah, exactly right.

As you say, no biggee, and many people seem to have no issues with fixed pulleys but I just like having the sprag there because those ZD30 belts buck like a bronco sometimes.

Kev was curious why they exist which is totally fair. As too how big an issue it is on the ZD30's it's probably a 10 different people will have 5 in each camp :-)

bastardo
26th September 2014, 03:41 PM
I think I am having the same issues as well. Can the clutch assembly be replaced or is it better to do the whole alternator.. Went by Nissan today in Newcastle and was quoted around 300 for an alternator. Not OE but they said Hitachi I think.. Any thoughts?? Thanks guys

threedogs
26th September 2014, 04:44 PM
Try Patrolapart for an alternator, they are a sponsor here

JonnoDe
28th September 2014, 09:18 AM
The clutch on the pulley is just a one way bearing. They put them on diesels mostly because when running diesels "knock" the crankshaft around harder, almost like a hard jerk on every power stroke. All engines run this way but it's harder on diesels. The clutches help protect the alternator and also enable it to continue spinning quickly while the engine is slowing down. Giving you more voltage for your rpm while decelerating. You can easily fit a non clutch pulley. Your alternator might not last as long or charge as efficiently while driving. At idle and acceleration there will be no difference.

They use a similar system on new petrol and diesel vehicles and have the alternator on a one way bearing and while slowing down they charge a capacitor which then powers the whole vehicle instead of the battery, so when you accelerate next, the Ecu does not "excite" the alternator so thee is no electrical load - saving fuel.