View Full Version : Sand Anchor

DX grunt
31st January 2011, 12:34 AM
Does anybody have/use a sand anchor or have any knowledge about this?

I know about burying a tyre, so any further knowledge would be appreciated.

Do they work, are they dangerous in your opinion, etc......

Clunk
31st January 2011, 12:57 AM
only time I've seen a land anchor in operation was on TopGear, Clarkson was out in a disco in some really boggy land in Scotland, managed to winch himself out when he got stuck. Seemed to work pretty well. Not sure if its the same as a sand anchor though.

nowoolies
31st January 2011, 01:16 AM
i have tried my boat anchor (large one) looks the same as the 4x4 one, just shorter on the arm, good in clay , mud , and sort of ok in sand ,
managed to pull the DX through the creek and up the bank the ground was very heavy loam with a lot of grass i think this helped hold on to terra firma
nothing to serious was tried,
i tried it out, out the back of the airport, good place to play.
as far as being dangerous dont know if i would totally rely on this one , it did dig very deep and i beleive it would not come out , the more i winched the deeper it got ( was a bugger to get out)

TheFlyingBadger
31st January 2011, 01:19 AM
Tosh (joker) has got one over with the WPC. That being said, when it was attempted to be demo-ed down at whitehills it didn't work very well. but that was because the pin was in the wrong spot..

patch697
31st January 2011, 02:08 AM
My brother & I are working on one.

We have played around with some models we have made up with good results so far & we seem to have got around the retrieval bit as well, but its still a work in progress at the moment.

We need something good up here as we are surrounded by sand & thats what we 4WDrive in most of the time so I guessing by the end of it we will a bloody goo anchor.

DX grunt
31st January 2011, 10:26 AM
Tosh (joker) has got one over with the WPC. That being said, when it was attempted to be demo-ed down at whitehills it didn't work very well. but that was because the pin was in the wrong spot..

Thanks Jon. I'll 'put out the call'. If it was only 'operator error,' it might end up being ok.

gec
31st January 2011, 11:42 AM
Yep, a mate of mine has one and he does the 4wd training up here for FESA and recons its the goods, I cant remember what brand it is but can find out if necessary, [also responded on WPC forum]

DX grunt
31st January 2011, 01:27 PM
Yep, a mate of mine has one and he does the 4wd training up here for FESA and recons its the goods, I cant remember what brand it is but can find out if necessary, [also responded on WPC forum]

Thanks Glen. That would be great.

Ross

PS, I'm still with FESA/SES and am in the process of transferring to Gnowangerup SES.

patch697
31st January 2011, 01:40 PM
Rossco check in with Rod (THE FERRET) I know he was working on one & he's from WA.

If he has made one mate your guaranteed its going to be a good one.

wildgu6
31st January 2011, 04:32 PM
Rossco, seen them used on tv but dont know much about them, they look too dangerous to me....
Wouldnt want one of them flying through the air at your windscreen.

Found this for you mate, might find something helpful.

http://www.pullpal.com/quotes.html

Cheers Pete

stets
31st January 2011, 05:00 PM
yeah mate go out to the local boat shop and pick up a 25kg sand anchor, a mate had one up in gero, i played with it a time or 2, i think i even did a story for the club about it early on. they are a good option, and work well, getting it out on the other hand can be quite challenging at times

DX grunt
31st January 2011, 07:06 PM
A mate on another forum suggested an alternative...... half a dozen sandbags and a set of Maxtrax. Lightweight to carry until you 3/4 fill them up.
Sounds like a safer option... yep, sold me.

the evil twin
31st January 2011, 08:12 PM
Who you calling "Mate"... :Yahoo!:

P.S. G'day Stets ... :eck05:

Finly Owner
31st January 2011, 10:44 PM
Rosscoe, the first time I saw one being used was by the Late Malcolm Douglas, with his fully laden landy cruiser. It work a treat. But, work have to take it careful until they have dug in and stopped moving b4 winching full on. He also demo'd other wayss of recovering forom sand bogs in that show. It was part of his survival when 4wd outback series.

Tim

DX grunt
1st February 2011, 12:09 AM
Who you calling "Mate"... :Yahoo!:

P.S. G'day Stets ... :eck05:

Hey ET. I didn't want to blow your cover. lolol

nowoolies
1st February 2011, 01:59 AM
g`day Gec
how do you find the Premier winch i still have to get a winch fitted and am still looking
cheers mate
nowoolies
Paul

Sir Roofy
1st February 2011, 07:41 AM
Thats where i saw the demo,malcom douglas,said to the boss id seen or read it some place
now i can stop looking

roofy

DX grunt
1st February 2011, 08:23 AM
Thats where i saw the demo,malcom douglas,said to the boss id seen or read it some place
now i can stop looking

roofy

Thanks for taking the time to sus it out for me, roofy.

Take care.

Ross

Sir Roofy
1st February 2011, 09:47 AM
thanks for taking the time to sus it out for me, roofy.

Take care.

Ross
no worrys mate like to help if i can,this forum is addictive great posts and a lot of laughs

roofy

gec
1st February 2011, 01:58 PM
g`day Gec
how do you find the Premier winch i still have to get a winch fitted and am still looking
cheers mate
nowoolies
Paul

Gday mate yeah the Premier winch is a good one and hasnt failed me yet in the 4 years I've owned it, only thing I would do differently is, now they make a bigger one.