PDA

View Full Version : Open speed limit in the territory

threedogs
1st February 2014, 08:05 AM
Good idea or not, its only for a trial period.
Can't see myself driving at 160 kph,
but when I was riding I did sit on 200 kph going to Yarrawonga
one year, never again melb to Yarra 1 hr 10mins,

macca
1st February 2014, 08:12 AM
Cant really see a problem, I wont be up that way much so wont see what really happens on an open road stretch.
It is a long way to get anywhere up there so winding up the throttle probably keeps people more alert and focused getting to their destination quicker and probably enjoying themselves.
Me, I will be wobbling along around a dollar to dollar 15 as the Patrol doesn't do speed very well. BUT I will be watching the mirrors!!!

happygu
TD,

when I lived up there with open speed limits, I rarely travelled over 120 in the Patrol anyway....

The one time I did take advantage of the open limits in a Ford Fairlaine, I was travelling at up to 190 - Darwin to Alice in 10 hours, including all stops.....:icon_driving:, I felt that it was too dangerous, as you kept coming up to cars with vans doing 90, and you would slow down - think you were nearly stopped, look at the speedo, and you were still doing 130.....

Mic

Winnie
Think I'd still find myself sitting on about 110. Faster than that uses too much fuel haha

TPC
1st February 2014, 08:21 AM
Years ago I would have loved it but these days I drive like a grandpa at 100-110 to get good economy.
I think it could be a problem with some vehicles doing double the speed of others.

threedogs
1st February 2014, 08:37 AM
miss out on too much sitting at high speeds , when in Darwin/Alice 140kph was fast enough for me,
as it uses way too much fuel, more suited to cars than 4x4s, what is the speed rating of a 33" tyre
They only put a speed limit in cause that Japanese driver died in that top end rally

happygu
1st February 2014, 08:41 AM
miss out on too much sitting at high speeds , when in Darwin/Alice 140kph was fast enough for me,
as it uses way too much fuel, more suited to cars than 4x4s, what is the speed rating of a 33" tyre
They only put a speed limit in cause that Japanese driver died in that top end rally

I was there at the time - not at the checkpoint, but close-by, and it was big news....

threedogs
1st February 2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah all over the TV here as well, bummer it had it happen,
but blind Freddy could see something would happen big time at those speeds

Drewboyaus
1st February 2014, 09:56 AM
All depends on the vehicle you drive, I reckon.
My bike I had no probs sitting on 190-200 most of the way to Adelaide years ago, my old Bimmer was happy sitting on 200+, in my Ford Territory probably 150-160 is it's sweet spot, my Patrol no more than 120.
Need to consider the potential for wildlife interference too......moo's and roo's at high speed and it would be all over!

MEGOMONSTER
1st February 2014, 11:01 AM
Good idea or not, its only for a trial period.
Can't see myself driving at 160 kph,
but when I was riding I did sit on 200 kph going to Yarrawonga
one year, never again melb to Yarra 1 hr 10mins,

Yarrawonga is a 3 hr 300 km trip. From my joint.

dads tractor
1st February 2014, 01:38 PM
Guys the Japanese bloke had nothing to do with the changing of the speed limits in the NT it was all to do with Labour bowing to pressure from Canberra over road funding and given the fact the feds own most of the main roads in the NT it was a farce .The Barkley Stuart and Victoria Hwys are all part of hwy 1 . As for the speed limits I would have at a guess it's what you are used to and the conditions ie the verges are supposed to be cleared 150 mts from the centre line ,53 mtr road trains at 140 are passed quickly and given that most Territorians will drive Darwin Alice in a day cuts the fatigue factor and overtaking is planned and executed 300 mts or more from the vehicle in front and there are lots of long open straights to do this in. It is no problem to sit around the $140 mark all day too get from Alice to Darwin in about 12 hrs and its real driving because you are looking at trees grass to check wind gauging other road users feeling the vehicle move to conditions if you not alert and your mind on the job you are a statistic in no time and you will never see the side of the drivers head through the windscreen when you pass as they are to busy watching you not eating talking or upping the kids in the back like is common on the Bruce in Qld. So the bottom line is drive at the speed you want and are comfortable with pretty easy !

the evil twin
1st February 2014, 03:08 PM
Dads Tractor is correct.

I lived and worked up there for 14 odd years and my acreage when we did the compulsory rural thing was just after the Stuart Hwy went from 110 to Open.
I had a Courier business for a while that used to do a lot of Darwin to Katherine jobs and my Cousin owned a Trucking Company that used to do hi-speed freight between Adelaide-Darwin back before the train went all the way thru.
He was running Volvo Prime Movers pulling singles with parcels etc so light on and they used to cruise on 140 KPH
The majority of the road verge is cleared back 50 metres or so and south of Katherine you can see for miles ahead

I mention the above purely to illustrate we spent a LOT of time on the roads and an open speed limit up there makes a lot of sense.

I also believe the speed limit from Norseman to Ceduna (or maybe the whistle stops west of Ceduna) should be 140 as well.
Almost every car on the market these days is safe at those speeds and everywhere you look we are told fatigue is the biggest factor so why not let people get a boogie on.

Mud Gecko
1st February 2014, 03:23 PM
Almost every car on the market these days is safe at those speeds and everywhere you look we are told fatigue is the biggest factor so why not let people get a boogie on.

Because there's no money in it. Speed kills remember... /sarc

There are many stretches that you can maintain 200+, car makers had been testing up here for years...

NissanGQ4.2
1st February 2014, 03:32 PM
I wish our council could build highways / freeways around here that were an open speed limited. Not that it would do any good as I'm sure I would still get morons sitting side by driving slower than what I can walk.

BigRAWesty
1st February 2014, 03:55 PM
I wish our council could build highways / freeways around here that were an open speed limited. Not that it would do any good as I'm sure I would still get morons sitting side by driving slower than what I can walk.

Adelaide has prt1 of a super highway.. :p

NissanGQ4.2
1st February 2014, 04:38 PM

Whats a super highway, is that one less pot hole you have 2 drive over?

dads tractor
1st February 2014, 05:54 PM
Whats a super highway, is that one less pot hole you have 2 drive over?

Nah its when you use 5th gear and get up it !

Drewboyaus
1st February 2014, 06:20 PM

Hahahahahah the one way freeway........hahahahah........only in Adelaide would you have a freeway that goes one way!

boots
1st February 2014, 06:57 PM
Nine news tonight said its a 200 km stretch north of Alice which will be trialled.

Coldcomfort
1st February 2014, 07:20 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h205/outbackjack0870/IMG_0690_zps9b5e092b.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/outbackjack0870/media/IMG_0690_zps9b5e092b.jpg.html)

I went for a little drive to day...

macca
1st February 2014, 07:55 PM
Show on TV about the German Autobarns, Makes our road system look like a blazed trail for covered wagons!

Not quite but the technology involved is massive, the NT road you would be on your own in that regard, but the amount of users is way different.

AB
1st February 2014, 07:59 PM
Show on TV about the German Autobarns, Makes our road system look like a blazed trail for covered wagons!

Not quite but the technology involved is massive, the NT road you would be on your own in that regard, but the amount of users is way different.

Does anyone know road toll differences between open slather autobarn countries compared to Australia?

Would be interesting to see statistics between both.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

NissanGQ4.2
1st February 2014, 08:06 PM
Hahahahahah the one way freeway........hahahahah........only in Adelaide would you have a freeway that goes one way!

Seriously only goes one way?

AB
1st February 2014, 08:22 PM

Go to Hobart and check their city structure...lol

Bloody hell that's a nightmare!!!

TPC
1st February 2014, 08:23 PM
Seriously only goes one way?

It goes both ways, north in the morning and south in the arvo.
They are currently duplicating it though.

boots
1st February 2014, 08:37 PM
Completion date TPC ?

AB
1st February 2014, 08:38 PM
Completion date TPC ?

2023 like the ring road in Victoria.

TPC
1st February 2014, 08:57 PM
Completion date TPC ?
I think it is June this year, it is looking close now.